katharynpace

Yes/No - freestanding bathtub for a guest bath

katharynpace
10 years ago
My husband and I own a rustic (not log) home on the river. We have tried to incorporate rustic design elements into all the rooms of the house. For the guest bath, we have found a freestanding tub that we both love, but adding it will mean no shower in that bathroom. The master is being converted into a walk in shower (no tub). It is worth noting that both baths are small and there is no room for making them larger. We both agree ont he design, but a friend thought it would be a bad idea.
So I'm just wondering what user thoughts are on a freestanding tub (with no shower) in a guest bath...the tub we are thinking of is below, but would be the same question for a clawfoot, or other freestanding tub.

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago
    I am a shower person and would absolutely abhor staying somewhere that didn't have a shower. That's just my opinion though, and its your house.
  • PRO
    redesign-gallery
    10 years ago
    There are period, race track shaped curtain rods just for this purpose that would work fine for guest shower over the free standing tub.......funky up the curtain as desired. You will need to provide shower for guests as many may not be able to physically negotiate the sitting aspect of the tub. Love the tub, by the way. I constantly acquire cast iron tubs from demolition which I paint and add contrasting color to the claw feet. Where did you see this one? Good luck with project.
  • PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    10 years ago
    Great tub and I agree with the above post about making it a shower. I don't any men that take baths and few women who do.
  • blrussell
    10 years ago
    Have to agree, you do need some type of shower in the guest bath.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would consider who might be using the tub, it looks difficult for an elderly guest to navigate. For a guest room I would stick to a combo tub and shower to give each guest a choice. I just saw this, a way to "rustic up" a tub.
    Before and After: Vintage Old Hollywood Style Retained in the Bath · More Info
  • PRO
    Sandi Perry Interiors
    10 years ago
    I agree with the need for a shower, also, if you might be having older people use that tub, a freestanding is much higher than the average tub and entails some agile movement with wet feet to get successfully out of it. So unless you're willing to share the shower with an older guest (or pregnant woman whose center of balance is temporarily off-kilter) you might reconsider that tub.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    And as long as you're thinking about a freestanding tub, how about a big, open, freestanding shower instead? No ugly curtain or confined corners--a drain in the floor, something to contain the splashing in the rest of the space, but otherwise open. If I were your guest I just might refuse to leave:)
  • sandisoup
    10 years ago
    I prefer showers, you could always let your guests use your shower if they prefer. Or put a hand-held shower attached to tub for washing hair, etc.