lisase

Happy with "framed tv"?

lisase
3 months ago

Does anyone have one of those framed tvs that you can choose different art? If so are you happy with it and does it really look like art? Thank you1

Comments (27)

• S H
    3 months ago

It depends what picture is on it. Ours is 4-5 years old, so the tech has gotten even better since then, and we’ve had people ask us where our tv is! I feel like the interface is a bit clunky/finicky, but it makes our living room look so much better, so it’s worth it.

• lisase
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you. I have heard that they are getting better at the "art" and that I can buy better frames for them. My tv is only on in the evenings and i am tired of looking at this big black hole my husband insists on having!

• chloebud
    3 months ago

I can’t help but was wondering if this blog link might provide any.

https://my100yearoldhome.com/why-i-bought-a-frame-for-my-samsung-frame-tv/

lisase thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    3 months ago

The Samsung picture frame TVs are great https://www.samsung.com/us/tvs/the-frame/. They look better than a conventional TV, but they are not quite art either. We sometimes arrange a variety of art around the TV so the TV is just one piece of an artwork grouping. That gives you the best of both worlds.

lisase thanked Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
  • Missy Bee
    3 months ago

Google this this person and The Spruce and see if you can read the article. Great ideas abound….

• Trey 567
    3 months ago

I really like ours. Although I'm always aware it's a TV, it's much less obtrusive than a regular screen. And I'm still amazed how many visitors don't even notice it's a TV until pointed out to them. I believe ours is a 2021, and the next model year they gave the screen more of a matte finish. I'm told that improves the illusion even more.

• chispa
    3 months ago

I really like mine, a 2022 model with the matte screen. It helps with the illusion of art and is also great at reducing glare from nearby windows and large sliders.

This is my 75" Frame TV.

Yes, you can get fancy frames for it, from separate vendors, but it blocks the sensors, so you have to have a small repeater box on a nearby surface.

My DH complains it doesn't have the best picture quality as a TV, but he has an even larger TV in the media room with a very high quality picture, so this one is just fine for the living area. I also refused to have a sound bar cluttering the space and find the TV speakers are just fine for everyday viewing of news and hgtv!

lisase thanked chispa
  • ALI
    3 months ago

We love ours! It’s a 65”. And it’s about a year old. No complaints. I find downloadable art on Etsy every once in a while to change things up.

lisase thanked ALI
  • jaja06
    3 months ago

We got one about six weeks ago and love it! We got the largest, I think 85” for a spot that we could not decide on what to do for art. My parents came to visit from out of town. We asked my dad if he liked our new art… he walked up to it and said oh wow that’s great! When he left the room we changed the picture, and when he came back in he started laughing and said he liked the other one better. But he still didn’t know it was a TV!! He thought we swapped out this giant art print on the wall while he was out of the room hahaha. (And for the record, he’s smart, tech savvy, and has good vision lol). What I didn’t expect is how often we change the picture. Maybe every couple of days we try something else. We have some favorites we come back to. We love trying out new things, different colors, artists, moods, etc. My only complaint is that the auto brightness is not good. Mainly it’s way too bright in low light, which of course makes it look like a screen. It can be manually adjusted, but obviously that’s not ideal. During the daytime the brightness is perfect.

lisase thanked jaja06
  • lisase
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Wow the pics ya'll sent look great. Thank you - very helpful!

• chispa
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

I did the Samsung art subscription at $49/year. I have about 20 favorites saved and I have it set to rotate every 30 minutes.

You can also download your own photos.

lisase thanked chispa
  • lisase
    Original Author
    3 months ago

what a great idea!

• jalarse
    3 months ago

Bought one in November of 2023. Cannot to this day get a picture on it. Joined their little Samsung club, pay their monthly fee, picked out pics I would like to buy, still nothing. Cannot even upload photos from my phone. I hate the damned thing, wish I had put that $2000 to better use.

lisase thanked jalarse
  • Kswl
    3 months ago

We’ve had ours for a couple of years and love it. We also subscribe to the service and have been very happy with the available art; DH or I change it often with our moods or the seasons as the light changes.

Ours is either 50 or 55” and we practically never watch it— it’s been maybe ten or twelve times since we bought it, but it’s nice to have the option. We purchased an additional frame from Deco Frames which is a more substantial wood frame that has magnets in the mitered corners that fit around the tv. It is exceptionally well made and is really what makes the tv look like a work of art.

We’ve had a cold snap so I chose this photo of a snowy forest last week. We’ve already changed it to something else. The photograph itself is all white but it looks lighter (or backlit) in this picture. IRL it looks just like a very large framed photo.

lisase thanked Kswl
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

I have two clients who love theirs, and twice as many with much larger tv's

Using a You tube app.

Ask me? The You tube app , especially rotating? Is better , and you don't need the frame at all. Use it on any smart tv.

The only purpose for either? It's not a visual black hole and it isn't "programming". It is not intended to replace your Mona Lisa : ) or look as good.

lisase thanked JAN MOYER
  • wsea
    3 months ago

We love ours. we don't like having our tv in the LR but we needed to repurpose the spare BR from tv room. the compromise was this tv. the frames available from samsung fit our aesthetic very well so didn't need a fancier frame. ignore the lines haven't put them in the wall yet. at night its clear its digital but in daylight it does fool people.

lisase thanked wsea
  • jalarse
    3 months ago

I decided to go on YouTube and see if I could diagnose the problem with my Samsung frame. One of the suggestions was that the sensor located on the very bottom of the TV was not receiving enough light so itthought it was night all the time I shined a flashlight on it and lo and behold one of my paintings came up on the screen I’m not gonna stand there holding a flashlight all day so I had a battery operated votive candle. You can probably see it on the right hand side of the TV. I put it underneath the sensor everything seems to work. I may call Samsung and see if they can suggest something else besides a battery operated candle.

lisase thanked jalarse
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

Did you first try removing all from the mantel that could have been putting the sensor in shadow : )

• jaja06
    3 months ago

One thing we read, and implemented, was to turn off “night mode” in the art mode settings. It apparently causes all sorts of problems.

• jalarse
    3 months ago

Hi Jan, I did and I believe the biggest problem was the Samsung sound bar in front, which I can’t move from there. I read that there might be a problem with their sensors, and Samsung would send out a tech to change it out. That’s my next thing I will try. Of course winter in the Pacific Northwest is always gray and dreary, that does not help.

• jalarse
    3 months ago

jaja06, thank you so much, I will try doing that.

• jalarse
    3 months ago

I have retired by battery operated candle, went into setting and turned off “Night Mode”. It works like a champ. jaja06 you’re terrific, thank you so much.

• jaja06
    3 months ago

So glad to hear! 😊 Enjoy!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

You'd think Samsung might be able to include that little tidbit in the operating instructions: (

• jaja06
    3 months ago

lol, yes from what we learned they need to update their instructions to say “Never use Night Mode.” It definitely has quirks with the operation. Night mode and the motion detection are great ideas that apparently just don’t really work. What I did do was use the app to set up “Routines,” so it turns on at 5am and off at 11pm every day, and also turns off on weekdays after we leave for work and on before we get home.

I’ll also mention that we have liked the art subscription. We did the free trial thinking we would not renew, but I love all of the variety.
  • lisase
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Kswl I love your rug and your style!