ecasta

Black granite countertops, honed,leathered or polished? HELP please.

ecasta
4 months ago

Hi again! I posted recently about my design dilemma putting in black kitchen countertops. I sincerely appreciate all the professional advice and feedback I received! However, every time I go to look at slabs, everyone is so negative about the upkeep, fingerprints, oil stains and darkness of black countertops. It’s really incredible! I am a little leery to put black on the perimeter and then do something completely different on my island as that could be trendy too. As I mentioned in my first post, this is my last shot to get this right. I can’t have anything with a lot of movement because it makes my eyes crazy. I’ll attach some pictures that some house members so kindly doctored to see the look of my kitchen with the potential black countertops. The way my kitchen looks now has the speckled counters in the photo. The light fixture over the island will be replaced, and the dark shade at the window will be removed. Hardware will also be changed as well. Pros please weigh in if you think I should do the island in something other than black. It’s so hard to find anything in a creamy color other than Taj Mahal which I love. I just don’t know how well Taj Mahal would go with black perimeter countertops though. Taj Mahal is to cost prohibitive to do the entire kitchen and I just can’t sell myself on quartz. Argh help! Thanks again! 😃

Comments (103)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

what stone did you get? anything but Absolute can be sealed.

always test it on a scrap piece first. I have Tenax on the marble in my shower. that stuff is amazing. water just beads up on the surface

ecasta thanked Beth H. :
  • ecasta
    Original Author
    3 months ago

It’s called Nero Mist

• Related Discussions

wat color kitchen cabinet -not white - dark brown floor black counter?

Q

Comments (12)
    A soft, warm grey shade would look lovely, and can be as dark or light as you want. A warmer shade will work with the brown stained wood floor, and the grey will complement the black granite. You could have an undertone of green, blue or tan if you didn't want a pure grey. And it would look nice with any silver metal hardware, either polished or satin/brushed, so you could choose pewter, chrome or nickel. It would still work with white trim too.
    ...See More

Backsplash help White Kitchen

Q

Comments (13)
    If you love the marble tile, go for it! You can always buy a stainless or white range hood backsplash like this http://www.wayfair.com/Air-King-Range-Hood-Back-Splash-SP2430-AXK1174.html to slip in place when you are cooking something really messy. I have a travertine backsplash and use a stainless sheet when frying. It works great and no worries about stains ruining the stone.
    ...See More

Need help with Kitchen Countertop- Cabinets-Hardwood floor Combo

Q

Comments (13)
    Your choices don't flow well to me. The flooring in your photo is pretty (very dark...are you okay with it showing every footprint, smudge, and dust bunny? If so, that's fine). From all of your options there I would do white cabinets with the Himalaya White granite. But you said ignore the granite. :) I would go for the gray cabinets with white quartz everywhere in that case, but personally I'd worry about gray cabinets being very dated in a few years. Is there another quartz option that you could pair with the white cabinets that is light in color and maybe has some movement, like LG Bianco Drift?
    ...See More

HELP Any designer Done kitchen with these shades of merino laminates ?

Q

Comments (43)
    Hi Cornerstone, I read your feedback 1. Profile handles I was late as the doors were already ready and it was too much of re-work. Regarding putting handles 2. Sharp edge can cause problem thats why the handles I have put are rounded on the edge not to hurt. 3. Where I did make a mistake was Did not put fillers. If I had put fillers on the sides the door issues could be resolved The upper cabinet handles. This is actually not my fault I had told them to put the handles in the center but they thought these are not drawers but rather cabinets so they should be put in the location where we put the vertical handles. By the time I came to check it was too late and now I am stuck. I am thinking of putting maybe 8inch handles instead of current 5inch but not sure if that would help to improve the look. Old kitchen pictures attached they also had handles but smaller
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

It's the same as Jet Mist,

or Virgina Mist. (stone places rename slabs all the time)

It's actually very pretty.

May I ask what they charged you for one slab? (plus fabrication/install?) and can we get an updated picture of the kitchen?

she use honed Silver Gray granite. she talks about sealing hers

https://graceinmyspace.com/pros-and-cons-of-granite-countertops/

ecasta thanked Beth H. :
  • M Miller
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

“anything but Absolute can be sealed.”

I am sorry, but that is misleading. A dense stone with an absorption rate of 0.3% or less should not be sealed. And there are many of them. Virginia Mist - which the OP’s granite strongly resembles - is about 0.2%, and Negresco granite, which may be another name for Nero Mist, is also about 0.2% absorption rate. You ”can” seal them, but there is a risk you will get a haze on the counter from the sealant not absorbing. It’s not the worst thing in the world, and the OP seems very worried about staining, so perhaps she’d rather risk the haze. A stone that is dense will not stain though, but if she is worried, perhaps she’ll relax when her stone is sealed.

ecasta thanked M Miller
  • Boxerpal
    3 months ago

I had Virginia Jet Mist (similar to Milky Way) granite.

I LOVED THEM...

You can read about it here on an old Houzz post

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2663204/boxerpups-honed-jet-mist-va-mist

ecasta thanked Boxerpal
  • ecasta
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you for all the wonderful input. I will be happy to post a picture once I get everything finished up in the next couple weeks!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

MMiller, thank you. I was so keyed in on AB and how dense it is, I didn't even stop to ask about the density of this other black granite (actually, the AB is a Gabbro or gabbronorite, and not true 'granite'. don't know if the Mist slabs are in the same group. )

another form of gabbro is basalt. the diff is that AB (or other black/dark stones in this catagory), cool slowly and have coarser, larger grained crystals.

Easy way to know is to put some water on top of the countertop. does the water sit there? for how long? doesn't it absorb? immediately or does it take some time?

what about oil? put a large drop of oil on there and see what happens. does it darken or just sit?

if water or oil doesn't absorb into the stone, then a sealer isn't going to absorb (a penetrating sealer) That's what Miller was referring to w/the haze. if it dries on top it will leave a hazy.

But, if they do absorb, then applying a penetrating sealer would be a good idea. I'd test it on a left over piece.

make sure they give you the remnants and scraps after they fabricate your slab

Reading a post over at JohnBridge re: AB and sealer, he advised to use Mineral Oil on honed black countertop IF you want to enhance the color (again, try it first on a spare piece to see if the deeper tone is what you like) The mineral oil is the same they use on Soapstone and will wear away naturally.

ecasta thanked Beth H. :
  • ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you! I passed this info. on to my installer.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hi everyone! My installer is dropping off a sample with sealer and another sample for me to go to town on with oil, lemon, etc. so that we can decide which way to go. Thank you for all your helpful suggestions!

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hi! It’s been a real challenge trying to find antique brass kitchen hardware. There’s something called champagne bronze that seems to be everywhere, so I’m concerned it’s a trend, although it is very pretty with my cream cabinets. Thoughts?

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Here is the little hallway directly across from my bed. The bathroom door is open. I added mirrors to my closet doors to reflect the mural so I can see it from lying in bed. They will be painted. see what I mean about all the things that would have to be painted dark green? 🤷‍♀️

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ugh, my apologies I was supposed to put this on my bedroom post. Too many threads going now I know 🙄. I’ll post it there.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 months ago

Regarding antique brass--what you want to do is purchase solid unlacquered brass. It will be shiny when you install, it but will patina with time. That's how you get authentic antique brass.

Here's a link to a blog post on the subject:

https://julieblanner.com/unlacquered-brass/

ecasta thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • chicagoans
    2 months ago

@ecasta I'm glad you posted more pics here because I saw them :) Your bedroom looks really pretty and I like what you did with the closet doors. Nice job!

ecasta thanked chicagoans
  • ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you!

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    2 months ago

We had very dark polished stone in our kitchen and it was a nightmare to keep shiny. Every product left some sort of film that had to be taken off with a clean microfiber cloth.

ecasta thanked Rachiele Custom Sinks
  • ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

My stone is going to be honed, so hopefully the maintenance won’t be too bad. I appreciated everyone’s input who has experience with black granite.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks Diana! I’m running into a problem with the size. Wow unlacquered brass is pretty pricey too. Is the champagne bronze too trendy?

• PRO
    2 months ago

Re champagne bronze, it depends. Who is making it? What kind of metal is underneath the finish? Will it wear off? It looks to be a pinkish color, if that's the look you want. And yes, it is fairly trendy, so keep that in mind.

It's possible that there is a wide range of colors called champagne bronze, depending on the manufacturer. My guess is that most of the companies will use zinc (inexpensive) or brass, nickel, copper or maybe bronze as the underlying metal and then add the finish. Depending on the metal and the finishing process, you have a wide range of prices as well. Consider that you will be touching kitchen cabinet hardware MANY times a day, so this is not an area to scrimp on. The last thing you want is 40+ pulls/knob deteriorating and ruining the look of your kitchen.

The best way to choose hardware is to see it in person, feel it, make sure that the color works, and that it is a good quality. Either go to a good retail store that specializes in hardware, or order samples online, and return the ones that you don't like. Your kitchen is large, and you'll need a lot of hardware, so it's not an inexpensive change to make.

• Jenny
    2 months ago

A little trick I discovered: since I like knobs and cup pulls as well as larger pulls, I was pricing all three. Knobs and cup pulls are similar in price, pulls are double that and more in the high quality knobs that I was choosing. So you may go high quality but more knobs, and control cost. And yes, everything has gotten more expensive and I feel the quality at the big box stores has dropped significantly the last year.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

All good points. Thank you! Yes, the champagne bronze tends to read a little pinkish in certain lighting. The ones I am leaning toward are made out of zinc. I am still looking around, hoping to find some unlacquered brass at a reasonable price.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Zinc is the least expensive and lightest metal. That's the one I would not choose.

To Jenny's point, you can use pulls on drawers and knobs on doors if that helps keep the cost down. And it's a nice look, especially in a large kitchen.

My go-to retailers are Restoration Hardware and Rejuvenation, both offer quality products. And of course, Top Knobs and My Knobs, which offer many hundreds of options from many manufacturers.

And if the quality at the big box stores has dropped significantly, I would run away from them. Their products were not great to begin with.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Just do Top Knobs in Honey Bronze, Or...Emtek "French Antique" which is absolutely superb.

In for a penny and a pound.........you blew a wad on bedroom wallpaper, so inconceivable hardware might be a hand wring: ) at this point?

Zinc is garbage, pure and simple.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Ooh, French Antique is so pretty. Back when did my bathroom/bedroom renovation, they did not offer it for cabinet hardware, only doors. They seem to have expanded the offering, and it's just gorgeous. Here's a link:

https://www.emtek.com/all-products/cabinet-hardware/cabinet-pulls/ribbon-and-reed-fixed-estate?443=371355

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

ABSOLUTELY CLASSIC.......

multiple sizes, done

Zero upkeep or change

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 months ago

I like that one on the right jan. I may change out mine!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

I loooove Top Knobs. The weight, the quality , the size variety, and the finishes. Hard to do better : )

The best of Emtek gorgeous French Antique is the cup pull and you can easily match a knob. They don't really have the variety in that finish.

• blfenton
    2 months ago

Is the Honey Bronze as pink as it appears on my screen?

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I like Top Knobs too. My last kitchen had all top knobs hardware and I agree with the quality.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

How many extra knobs and pulls do you recommend that I order in case they discontinue the style or color? I am doing a combination of knobs and pulls.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Here’s the latest on my

Here’s the latest on my countertops: The fabricator sent me this picture and dropped off the sample. I put oil, lemon juice and milk on both sides and let it sit for about a half hour. It was interesting is they both kind of left the same marks. The side with the sealer was slightly darker than the unsealed side. I’m leaning toward not sealing it and kind of letting it patina like marble. Bad idea? I know several of you said not to seal it.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

It looks backwards in this picture. Here’s the sample after I stained it.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hard to see I know.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

You have to decide the seal. Nobody can see the difference. I also don't understand the hand wringing on this : )

Extra knobs.....two each, knob and pull. Are you planning a remodel of what you've barely finished? Whatever number makes you comfortable.

No... Honey Bronze is not pink. At all. The way to buy hardware, is to buy one of anything, Before you order a kitchen total.

• PRO
    2 months ago

You are totally overthinking the counter top issue. Any "stains" (which aren't stains) will be unnoticeable without a magnifying glass and constant peering at it.

I just posted this on another discussion about Jet Mist honed granite. My counter tops after 10 years. Could you live with this hideousness?

countertop materials · More Info

countertop materials · More Info

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks Diana! Done. No sealer 😊

• PRO
    Quality Bath
    2 months ago

Yeah, you can't go too wrong with either Top Knobs or Emtek. Emtek has actually been expanding their French Antique finish over the past few years to include many more items.

@ecasta I agree with @Jan Moyer 100%. I always push customers to get samples first when ordering online. Saves so much hassle down the road. If you need you can send me an email at houzz@qualitybath.com and I'll get you samples sent over of the different finishes and pull/knob styles.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Well, the countertops were installed on Friday. I was fortunate that not one backsplash tile was damaged or chipped. However, there are some issues to need to be addressed. During the install these large greasy stains were left on my unsealed honed granite. The installer is still working to see how they can be removed. Other than that I love the black and will post better photos once the room is finished. Counting my blessings that I didn’t have to replace any of the backsplash tiles. Always something eh?

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I believe it’s silicone oil from the epoxy they used. I think someone put a greasy piece of cardboard down on the countertop. In the other photo, you can see the tape lines were left where they they used epoxy in the seam.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Very nice!!

• ecasta
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you Diana! The knobs are simple mushroom style in the same finish.

• Landen Macdonald
    29 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

I understand your struggle with finding the perfect countertops. It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack sometimes! When I was renovating my kitchen, I had a similar dilemma. I wanted something that looked sleek but didn't show every fingerprint or stain.That's when I stumbled upon https://www.luckysoundgroup.com/ during my search. They had a variety of countertop options, including some creamy shades that might complement your potential black perimeter countertops. It's worth exploring to find that balance you're looking for. Good luck with your kitchen renovation journey.

• Kendrah
    28 days ago

Love your new hardware. What a difference.

• Linda.Linda2
    28 days ago

I have polished Absolute Black. I Absolutely love it but it does take more work. I dont mind tho. I love the look and feel.

• PRO
    28 days ago

If you read the discussion posts, you'll see that the OP has already made her decision and installed Jet Mist counter tops.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago

Nobody reads the threads.................: )

• PRO
  • Linda.Linda2
    27 days ago

Lol, I thought this section was to share ideas and experience with products or designs even if design choices were already made. Others do benefit from seeing the product in use and seriously helps a person make a decision if they are timid to make a bold or unique choice. Many of these dilemmas/advice questions are months and even years old , but the posts still exist and garner interest from others facing or seeking similar advice. I rarely look to designers because I find designers are "safe''. In any case, I enjoy the real life experience from those who have been there and appreciate them sharing their photos no matter how old. There are fabulous ideas, advice and talent out there.

• ecasta
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Thanks everyone! I agree it never hurts to hear other peoples opinions and experiences. Food for thought for future renovations!

Sponsored