lisa_strachota

Will James Hardie Iron Grey siding work for this 1980 exterior update?

Lisa Strachota
last year
last modified: last year

Updating my exterior- keeping the old web stone but want to modernize with siding and roofing. Also plan to update the front porch with a trex deck and new landscaping. Considering James Hardie Iron Gray siding, but nervous about it looking dark hunter green. I plan to soften the dark siding with a wood front door and some wood accents with decking, modern flower boxes, etc. The visual change of the dark color is shocking for me and I'd love to hear from you as to whether the change would be appealing to you. If you don't like it, what are your suggestions? If you're familiar with JH Iron Gray, do you think it tends to look deep green?

Thanks for your help!

-It's a big decision.....

Original

Proposed Sketch (So hard to visualize since the stone isn't exact.):

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to be able to go with the metal roof, so it will be an asphalt shingle.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think post a close up of the stone. IMO a color close to the darkest color of the stone would usually be my choice .I do not like that dark siding color with the stone and I also like to keep items to a min. on exteriors so adding wood into this miz would not be my choice and no way does thta house suit flower boxes .

• Lisa Strachota
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! I posted another photo.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

Iron grey was our top choice but we ended up going with unpainted hardie and then sampled several colours on big swatches or cardboard to make sure they really worked for our house. It was super interesting seeing how they changed in light. We ended up with Benjamin Moore Storm.

Lisa Strachota thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • PRO
    Craftsman's Choice Inc.
    4 months ago

I haven't seen it look green. Here is a collection of the Iron Gray houses we have done:

https://craftsmanschoice.com/tag/iron-gray/

Good luck!

• BPMBA
    4 months ago

Ooooh, @Craftman's Choice - we did our exterior using one of your projects as inspiration (the Minnetonka contemporary)! It looks fabulous!

• Sigrid
    4 months ago

I really love the warm colors on your house right now, but recognize it's because of the light. In the house pic, the stone looks like a completely different color than in the pic with the color chip. I think the dark color is too dark for the house. I might go a little darker than the stone, but not that stark contrast.