webuser_85369129

Draughty Aluminium Bifold -solutions?

D Ross
last year
last modified: last year

Draughty Aluminium Bifolds

I‘m curious to know what others are doing with draughty bifolds. Ours were supplied 12yrs ago from Apropos Tectronics Ltd. Are you:

- replacing the doors completely with other door solutions:

- installing a warmer/weathered threshold when this was not met in the door design.

- replacing the gaskets (gaskets in place now are the Belgium brand Aliplast, that are hard to get now in the UK).

Experience feedback would be appreciated.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    ALUMINIUM TRADE SUPPLY
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hello. I think it's worth everyone knowing no door is a 'fit and forget' product and will require periodic adjustment from time to time. This of course depends on how often they're used. Unless you don't like the doors any more, there should be no need to replace them because they're draughty .

Your local double glazing firm probably won't be that interested in products they don't supply or fit, unless it's offered as a service. My advice is to do a local search for a double glazing repair and maintenance company. They're more likely to provide a door adjustment service and be familiar with what's required.

If you have draughts, it sounds like an adjustment issue or that the brushes and seals have compressed and, if required, can be replaced.

Whilst there are many European systems about, the seals and gaskets are quite standard across many of them, and it shouldn't be an issue to find similar replacements or the exact types here in the UK.

I can't be certain but your doors look like old versions of Smart Systems Visofold bifold doors, which are some of the best sellers in the UK and should be easy enough to work on.

Hope this helps

Nick

• Sonia
    last year

I agree with Aluminium. Find a local window service/repair company who do all sorts of things from maintenance to repairs. This sort of company. They are in Letchworth, Herts but I’m sure there would be similar companies in your area.

• PRO
    ALUMINIUM TRADE SUPPLY
    last year

Thanks Sonia, And if D Ross you'd like to give a location, I'll see if there's anyone that could help.

• D Ross
    Original Author
    last year

Nick (Aluminium Trade Supply)

The location for the bifold doors is south London area (Streatham Hill). Yes, the doors are Smart Systems Visofold bifold doors (was Apropos Tectronics Ltd). The bifold door gaskets are Belgium brand Aliplast, and have part numbers are visible on most). I have tried to find similar gaskets in UK but they‘re never the same quality or profile. The threshold brush needs replacing, & opening door needs alignment. The doors are out of gaurantee.

• PRO
    ALUMINIUM TRADE SUPPLY
    last year

I've got a couple of suggestions for you that can help but not sure if you can post links or business details on here so drop me a message or better, get in touch via the website. Shouldn't be an issue to fix. Aliplast is also connected to Smart Systems and if this is Visofold, there are numerous places to get gaskets.

Hope this helps

Nick

D Ross thanked ALUMINIUM TRADE SUPPLY