dippitydoppitydoo

Lovely bright, but awkward living room

dippitydoppitydoo
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello all, I moved into a colonial style fixer upper home almost a year ago with my husband and two kids. We have been slow, but have been doing the majority of the aesthetic work ourselves. However, now that I’m ready to add furniture and decorate I have found I have too many ideas and find myself a little bit all over the place. I have some really awkward empty spaces. I used to have more plants in here & that helped, but what didnt was my one year old just loves digging his hand in… and you can imagine the rest. I would like to reintroduce my plants as the season changes and this is the best spot in the house. Is there a way to bany proof them without making things hideous?

I put the outdoor bench inside temporarily for more seating and plan to remove it.

I had a tv stand , but it was old and cheap looking and then it became a hazard for my one year old

. I was thinking maybe a slim console to put underneath? toy storage ideas maybe?

I was also thinking of a side table(s) in between the tree and the sofa, maybe another one on the other side…. or waiting until i find maybe two chairs to put where the bench is. I also dont know if im crazy for thinking this, but two chairs and a small bistro style table where the bench is? Im just overwhelmed with the space and the choices out there. Last Last, but not least I need to keep toys there and dont really want a coffee table right now unless it is wild child friendly, as it doubles as a playroom.

In summery:

please help fill awkward spaces in corners, walls.

If you have any ideas for yellow OR pink family color decor, accent furniture etc.

Please help! Thanks!

Comments (16)

• elcieg
    2 years ago

This is what I recommend; you delete everything but your dilemma and your room photos. I don't know why you added all the other items. From my perspective I would choose none.

Let houzzers share their own ideas.

dippitydoppitydoo thanked elcieg
  • jck910
    2 years ago

^^^^^ agree honestly didn't read most of it. A floor plan would help

Look at IKEA for TV units with storage for the toys. Sofa is lovely. Art is beautiful. Move bench out it certainly is comfortable for a room with a TV.

dippitydoppitydoo thanked jck910
  • Related Discussions

Need help in colors for living room

Q

Comments (1)
    How about starting out with a piece of beautiful Indian textile work as an inspiration for your space, or recycled sari fabric, or similar. With your very bright light, you can go a lot more saturated than more northern climates.
    ...See More

Single chair for our living room

Q

Comments (3)
    A bright color in one part of the room will make it unbalanced unless the pop of color is repeated elsewhere. Try tone on tone or taupe or a texture.
    ...See More

how to decorate small living and dinning room combined

Q

Comments (8)
    I wouls get rid of 1/2 the pillows on the sofa too matchy add an area rug that is bright with some other colors to use for accents you have IMO too much brown so I would do blue drapes in the DR take the cloth off the table and add a blue and orange glass bowl for a centerpiece filled with green apples get some pillows in green and orange and a big piece of art work for the wall above the sofa and maybe a mirror on the DR wall and a fabulous light fixture for the DR an arc lamp behind the sofa in the corner so it comes out far enough into the room to light a coffee table.
    ...See More

How/What sofa to replace/utilize this living room space ?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Nikita, First and farmost, you have very beautifull coushion on sofa, from where you buy it? You can check the videos of Small budget Big makover first session series in youtube. In One such house in Gujarat, Muninder and Bishakha coloured the old sofa set with whtie (The sofa is like yours) and changed the centre table. Interestingly, the family also had your kind of sofa set and they also want some modern style. The architect duo did not changed the sofa, just changed the colour. Yes I found it in youtube. it is the house of Setu Upadhyay. the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85GNhyLeVnM Another suggestion is that you have many tables on the room. You can drop few chairs and opt for a single centre table
    ...See More
  • msjoan
    2 years ago

Begin by adding end tables and lamps to both ends of the sofa. Add two comfortable chairs, facing each other near each end of the sofa. I believe there will still be plenty of room to access the doors. Add a coffee table. Toy storage along the wall to the right of the door. I don't care for the mirror above the TV; it's kind of high and out of scale. Once done, take a breath and see what you need next. Probably more toy storage : )

dippitydoppitydoo thanked msjoan
  • dippitydoppitydoo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmm, i did initially have two chairs facing one another, but i had returned them due to them being damaged upon arrival and also seemed too big for the space- it really seemed crowded around the door. However However, maybe somethkng smaller scale. I see what you’re saying about toy storage lol. however i do need to keep the shoes there, unless what you are referring to is under the tv table, which probably would be a good idea. maybe ikea can solve that little problem at least.

also, I may end up getting a coffee table, but it seems hubby is worried about kiddos injuring themselves. maybe i can consider an oval one or ottoman. Thanks for getting me back to the basics, my mind was in fantasy world, decorating with different color schemes, in a different space, and with lots of money that exists soley in my mind lol.

• lwfromny
    2 years ago

It’s hard to do, especially if you love a lot of different things, but I think you need to settle on a style before doing anything else. Right now there are four major pieces in the room - the couch, the bench, the rug, and the large art. All are very nice, but all are different styles - MCM, country/rustic, traditional, contemporary(ish). While it certainly is possible to mix and match some styles, it takes skill, and the various styles can’t all be equally represented.

If you have a bunch of things pinned in an idea book or Pinterest boards, look at them and see if there is a predominant style emerging. Also consider the rest of your home, especially he fixed item like cabinetry. If your kitchen is open to this room and it’s full of oak cabinetry with arched tops, you may not want to go MCM in this room. Or if the rest of the house isn’t a constraint and you love the couch the most, then use that as a jumping off point. I’m guessing the couch needs to stay because it’s the biggest investment in the room (it’s beautiful btw). You don’t have to go hard core MCM (or any other style) - just find things that can work with MCM. IKEA is great bc you can usually find storage pieces that work with most other styles.

dippitydoppitydoo thanked lwfromny
  • elcieg
    2 years ago

Move the t v to the corner, next to slider.

Face the sofa to the slider and t v...I believe you did that in photo #1?

Try this arrangement: art over sofa, end tables, your floor plant, coffee table and chair (consider a swivel chair which can accommodate a chat or watching t v.

For now, keep the wooden bench and position it on the wall with two windows.

The other corner...you will use that space to stack back the drapery panel (choose extra wide and make sure you hang the rod correctly).

For pink..think a deeper tone.

Once you have decided on drapery color, find throw pillows and make the bench into something comfy (it may stay in the room?).

dippitydoppitydoo thanked elcieg
  • katrina_ellen
    2 years ago

Get two chairs instead of the bench. I love what you have so far, the art, sofa, rug and light fixture. You need storage for toys. Also you could use a tv console for additional storage.

dippitydoppitydoo thanked katrina_ellen
  • dippitydoppitydoo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow I got some good insight, I have to process it and maybe discuss with my poor hubby who hates change. TV arrangement was something I am wondering about. I think curtains are an almost definate, unless we decide on some custom blinds or soemthing. i do suppose getting some basic side tables is overdue- and i should tackle that first- after deciding on my ”style”. Before owning a house, I was set, convinced, on mcm minimalism, all white walls etc, but now I have found myself leaning towards more traditional art and textiles- velvets, chinosiorie, hand block print, and color. hubby just couldnt do all white walls, so I began to embrace…. or is it obsess, about colors. Thanks again for all the much wanted advice.

• PRO
    Hudson Valley Staging & Redesign
    2 years ago

The painting between the windows is the same size which is awkward.

Most important is to know that it is not necessary to fill all "the corners & enpty spaces".

Sophisticated, soothing rooms leave places for "the eye to rest."

I remember as a kid my mother used to think that every empty corner needed something shoved in it; even a random, meaningless object!

Just not so.

Take some time to look at some of the designed spaces on Houzz that are similar to yours & please don't feel the need to over decorate.

I would take the small round mirror that is hung WAY above the tv (how would anyone use it?)

and put it between the two windows at EYE LEVEL or just slightly above.

The really nice painting between the windows would look wonderful & appropriate on the dining room wall.

It might be helpful to keep this in mind when decorating; only use pieces & furnishings that are functional & or that have personal meaning to you.

When items are randomly used to "fill corners" or empty wall spaces, it ends up looking "Awkward."

Good luck, you can do it!

dippitydoppitydoo thanked Hudson Valley Staging & Redesign
  • dippitydoppitydoo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! I do like the two chairs kn one side & especially like the first pic set up. I actually ended up buy two chairs, and some side tables, and a coffee table from an online auction & due to pick up tomorrow. They are more of a traditional/ colonial style, but I am going to see how they work. The photos anove are almost too MCM for me. Maybe I have an eclectic taste, hopefully that doesnt translate into bad taste! I have another living room - which has navy lounge chairs that look more mcm that I might try if the colonials dont work, but i have a feeling they (mcm chairs) are too large. In the other living room is also a modern straight arm chesterfield style sofa which i feel could also go with the the colonial chairs/ a traditional set up, but again, scale mught be an issue. Anyway, once I have pics of my room with new items, I will update with a photo. I like the idea of a console- just not something my toddler can climb- thats another dilemma to tackle once I get the other furniture tackled.

• dippitydoppitydoo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmm, about the art. I love it so much, but maybe you are right. My dining space isnt that big, but perhaps I can try it or I can try my other living room, although it might be too big there as well. hmm, I will improve the furniture situation first, and then…. I will have to gently introduce to my change hating husband, the idea of trying the piece somewhere else.

• dippitydoppitydoo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I starded experimenting with furniture from other living room and ”new” cream chairs and tables.

Would the aqua sofa and blue chairs look better in the ”lounge” with fireplace, and the colonial style chairs with brown coffee table and brown sofa in the family/ tv room? I was going tove the round white table into the family room (where aqua sofa is pictured) but i feel the brown and cream set with brown table would better fit (in scale) in the family room. And similarly, the Aqua sofa and two large liunge chairs and large round table would look better (scale wise) in the ”lounge/fireplace/living room”. Does that make sense? If the side tables dont work, I can use them as night stands as i dont have any rught now….

The chairs and table look small?

This furniture into the playroom? including side tables and coffee table? not sure if you can tell, but alot of space leftover in this room… as it is very long…

this furniture looks big in here? move to the blue room? - not sure if you can tell from pic, but it feels a little crammed on right side in front of door

Instead of brown sofa, aqua? MIL and grandmother both suggested to move the aqua sofa to the blue room, and brown sofa to the pale green room…

and then move picture to above sofa in the blue room? the wall is large, but it would be very oversized- almost to the cieling height.

Or the large artwork in hallway upstairs as a stand alone piece…

Or on this wall as a stand alone piece - dont mind table- that was pushed into the corner to make room for something temporary. Also, hallway and dining room are to get painted.

• dippitydoppitydoo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Side tables seem too small? you cant see it from this angle…. since i dont have a console table yet, i did have some extra sofa cushion from my old sofa that I made a makeshift baby daybed thing lol. it seems no matter what i do, it either looks cramped or awkwardly spacious. This isnt so bad though, maybe im over thinking it? I would buy a matching loveseat or chairs to the sofa, but that style is out of stock. However However, they do sell more mcm items in that same color…. just hesitant to wait another 6 months for overpriced furniture, albeit beautiful.

If i do get something from the same company…. what about two matching pouf/ottomans? or upholstered bench under/in front of tv?

https://joybird.com/ottomans/arly-ottoman/

two of these?

Or this maybe- under / behind tv??

OR, last, but not least…. maybe i can save some $$$ and get two comfortable chairs (see below- an example of the chair jn the same fabric) to go on each end….

My head is spinning and feeling stressed now. im at a loss- and unfortunately I cant afford to replace all of my furniture- or any of it really.

• msjoan
    2 years ago

I like the blue chairs in this room. If you move them a little toward the blue sofa, does it still feel crammed near the door?

• dippitydoppitydoo
    Original Author
    2 years ago

good question @msjoan, it then feels cramped with the sofa, and just oversized compared to the coffee table and just the feel of the room. From light and airy, to randomly moody. That and it just feels like there is too much visual weight or color is off balanced, though that can be helped with adding some navy pillows I suppose. I might try it again and see if husband likes it. Im more open to moving things around, but I have to be cognizant of my poor chango-phobia hubby. (Things were moved and put back before he got home lol. I suppose I can show him pictures without driving him too mad. That and maybe save for some chairs that are not as big. Anyway, thank you!

Sponsored