b_funny_homestead

Double rim joist or glulam for rim joist.

I was wondering if any one has ever use either a glulam in a 4×10 or 4×12 configuration for a rim joist and glulams for floor joists. Or What about a double rim joist. I will explain why I was thinking this. First I wanted to build a house to stand for a 100+ years much like a log home. So in thinking of a log home or a timber frame home they all had one thing in common… well two … First they had huge sill logs or sill timbers, and second back in the day they didn’t have indoor plumbing… ( water is the root of all evil in building..lol.) So My thought was this. I could use either a glulam in a 4×10-12 rim joist, glulams in 3×10-12 floor joists ( no bounce or squeak) and have a solid start to a solid foundation. I also thought of running a double engineered rim joist with water repellent properties and standard floor trusses. What are your thoughts, and doing either one would you recommend either a thicker basement wall , thicker than 8x8x16 cinder block walls and a wider 2×8 pressure treated sill plate or something better?
Thanks.

Comment