webuser_877487672

Small house remodel & addition

Aaron Bell
4 years ago

Hello. My wife and I own a small 2br/2ba home and are in desparate need of more space. We can't afford to buy bigger, and are considering an addition to get a few needed functional spaces.

Basic stats: House is 30x30. Inside the front door there is living area to left, one bedroom to the right. kitchen is in the far right hand with a pass through bathroom connecting bedroom and kitchen. Master is to rear left with a small (5x5) bathroom. There is no laundry area inside, so my wife currently has to go out to a shed in the back yard. We live in Florida, so it is often hot and/or rainy. This is priority number one! The kitchen is an eat-in and is cramped. Also no dishwasher. A big part of our lives is entertaining friends/family, so this is another high priority issue. Finally, storage space is virtually non-existent. One small "hall" closet with bi-fold doors.

Options we are considering:

1. Addition to rear of home, utilizing existing back door as a doorway into the addition. Add on a mudroom/laundry room and pantry that would become the primary entry point for us. Also add a dining room to have a larger entertaining space.
  2. Removing walls between living area and master bedroom as well as the wall between the master and kitchen. This would create one larger L-shaped living/dining/kitchen flow. Then adding on to the rear as before but this time with the mudroom/laundry/pantry and a master bed/bath.

Both options include new cabinets in the kitchen and addition of a dishwasher.

Would love to hear your opinions and thoughts on which of these options is best. I'm guessing overall cost of option 1 is less because it minimizes work inside the existing footprint. Both additions will work out to nearly the same square footage.

Thanks,

Aaron

Comments (9)

Sponsored