webuser_543782770

Kitchen modalities

HU-543782770
5 years ago

Hi,

I am constructing a new kitchen and some people are suggesting, first make partitions using marble and then you may fix up the fittings, whereas others are saying that, place the wooden box directly, and then you may use the fittings easily. Few are also suggesting to put a concrete slab and then below that fix the wooden boxes. In first two cases, granite will be placed directly on the top. I am planning to use, Waterproof board with 1 mm thick sunmica, Please advise what to follow for durability and long usage. In any case, we are putting tiles at the bottom and back of the wall to protect it from termites.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    GJ Studio
    5 years ago

Installing a 19 mm thickstone carcass (ie, the back, sides and floor slab) is an almost foolproof way to prevent termites. But this requires experienced and skilled labour to make sure that the plumb line is maintained. This seems to be a specialty in places like Jaipur and Gurgaon, so that's where you get this kind of labour. However, for fixing the shutters and drawers, you will still need carpenters and I must warn you that drilling into stone is again a laborious and slow process. And coordinating between the stone layers and carpenters can be a bit of a pain. I have worked with this option and also with plywood alone. Ceramic tiles on the wall are no protection against termites

• PRO
    GJ Studio
    5 years ago

The simplest process would be a carcass of BWR or BWP (Boiling water resistant or boiling water proof) board, laminated (.8mm thick) on the inner surfaces and shelves and 1 mm for the exposed surfaces like shutters and drawer fronts. You can use 19 to 30 mm quartz or granite on top, and a skirting of about 2 to 3" wide against the wall to close whatever gaps at the junction of the counter and the wall

HU-543782770 thanked GJ Studio
  • PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    5 years ago

As GJ said, stone carcass is a better option but requires a lot of planning and coordination. If you are getting it done for the first time and you do not have a skilled contractor or perfectly planned 2D designs then wooden BWP carcass gives your flexibility and may be more suitable.

HU-543782770 thanked Cornerstone Design Studio India