sincerely_kristen

Sealers for Honed Marble - 2019

Sincerely Kristen
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, I do want (honed) marble in my kitchen.

I'm searching for a sealer that will:

• Help prevent staining
  • Keep the "matte" finish of the honed surface (least amount of shine possible)
  • Will not alter the color of the marble
  • Food/kitchen safe (I don't generally put food straight onto my counters, but I do plan to take advantage of this surface for pastries and bread making).

I've read all of the older posts about sealing marble but can't find any strong recommendations. I'm hoping there's some new info that can be shared and I'd love to see photos of your counters!

Thank you so much for your time and advice!

This is a photo of my inspiration, a Pinterest find from the blog, "For the Love of a House." - If you haven't seen her blog, it's amazing! Here is a link to her post all about marble; https://fortheloveofahouse.blogspot.com/search?q=marble 

Comments (8)

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is very helpful! Thank you!

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I’d still love to hear about anyone’s personal experience. Which sealer you used and if you’d recommend it? Thanks all!

• Sofia Akhter
    2 years ago

@Sincerely Kristen, which sealer you ended up going with for your honed marble?

Thanks.

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We ended up buying the slab unsealed! We did have etching (as expected) but we never had any issues with staining! I used 511 “Kleen & Reseal” spray to clean the marble every so often and that alone seemed to do the trick! We had regular Carrera Marble that wasn’t “pure white” and plenty of grey veining so I wasn’t too paranoid about stains anyway. We spilled pretty much everything on it (coffee, wine, mustard, tomatoes, etc) and never had staining issues (though we usually clean up our messes fairly quickly anyway). I hope that helps! Maybe ask your fabricator for a sample and take it home and put it through the paces!

• Sofia Akhter
    2 years ago

We r putting honed marble for the backsplash. I think we are gonna go with 511 product.

• Sincerely Kristen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sofia Akhter Yeah! And I’ve seen where people did their own sealing themselves at home after the isntall. So if you decided to seal it, its something you can still do! I loved the marble and want to do it again! I had no regrets. I love ”living” surfaces

• Sofia Akhter
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank tou you. We went with 511 Impregnator sealer and cannot be more happy with the look.