myrealnameismama_goose

Would you rather have a dishwasher or a drawer base?

mama goose_gw zn6OH
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My late mother owned a rental, which I am trying to get ready to sell. It's a typical three bedroom brick ranch, but has never had a DW. I have the space to extend the kitchen wall 6" (as a pony wall), to put a DW bay beside the sink, but the DW space will replace an 18" drawer base--the only drawer base in the kitchen. There is no space for other cabinets, and no budget, even if there was space. We've had to replace the hall bathroom from the subfloor out--the former tenants knocked a hole in the bath tub, covered the hole with duct tape, and continued to use the tub. With a couple of small adjustments, I can re-use the 18" drawer base in the full bathroom.

There is a 30" door cabinet (1 drawer above each door) between the range and fridge, a 36" corner susan, and a 42" sink cabinet. Upper cabinets correspond to bases. I will not be including the DW, but will have the expense of replacing the laminate countertops, running electrical for the outlet, and converting sink plumbing. Construction of the wall extension, DW return panel (painted to match cabinets), electrical, and plumbing will be DIY by family members in the construction trades. I have some materials left from other projects, including birch plywood, so those costs should be minimal. The current cabinets and laminate are in OK condition, but new entry-level laminate has been estimated at ap. $550. Flooring is being replaced anyway, and walls repainted, so that's not an issue.

If you were looking for a starter home (or a retirement home), would you prefer the DW or the drawer base? Would the added attraction of the space for a DW be enough of a selling point to offset the costs?

Thank you.

Comments (61)

Sponsored