kelly_bailey7678

Outdoor fountain

Kelly Bailey
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I’ve always wanted a fountain in my backyard- I love the sound and look. I’m looking to get rid of the play house and put here. (Can part with tree too if need be). Any Suggestions on where to get a nice looking fountain and what style would look nice? I have a small rock garden near it. Was thinking of putting rocks in are around fountain too?

Comments (8)

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    If you can afford it (ie a few hundred dollars), I’d suggest you go to an aquatic landscaping place and avoid the cheap stuff at Walmart et al. They often have a nice selection of bubblers and fountains that will last over time, and can advise you on how to install properly. They will also sell the chemicals that you need to prevent algae growth (highly recommended if you don’t want your fountain to turn green and black and slimes). It’s convenient that you have the hose is nearby, so you can refill it every few days (or, if you want a more advanced implementation, you can tap into the water source for self leveling).
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

Yes ... go to a fountain store if you have one in your area, there are several where I live. There are so many options to choose from & if you have an irrigation system in your yard you can tap into one of your sprinkler valves for automatic filling. Mine is left on 24 hours a day. It all depends upon how much you want to spend & what type you’re looking for. I have two fountains, love them. Btw, I’ll get back with an algae prevention product, non chlorine, that works great.

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

Btw ... for algae prevention I use a product called Baqucil Algicide, chlorine free, a tblsp every few weeks keeps my fountain clean. I order it from Amazon, qt size lasts a long time.

• functionthenlook
    5 years ago

I would recommend that you get one with a large water reservoir. And you have to watch because some splash a lot of the water out or the wind blows it out. Our first fountain was a pain. We had to fill it everyday. . That didn't last long before we shut that one down. Ours we have now has a large reservoir. . .We only have to top it off with water during hot dry spells. Most of the time mother nature fills it back up. We have no problem with it running dry when we leave for a week even in hot weather. My husband keeps it clean with just an occasional addition of just regular laundry bleach.

• baileysr
    5 years ago
    Yes indeed, they can splash a bit. Mine often has a small ring of water about 6-12 inches around it, especially on cool mornings when it hasn’t had heat for evaporation. That shouldn’t be an issue for you in that spot, since you’ll be able to put plantings around it (or at least some
    rocks). Oh, also, you live someplace with cold winters, keep in mind you’ll need to empty it and cover it.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would try to tie it in with the rock garden instead of having it stand alone it will look much more natural too.Si in this pic the waterfall type fountain could go where the planter is.

• PRO
    Water Scuppers and Bowls, LLC
    5 years ago

A standing fountain would be beautiful...you could even build a small custom wall and place a scupper

or two and have it designed to your liking. Really th options are endless! Please let us know if we can be of any help!