valerie_iosue

Fireplace with built-ins in a new build addition

Valerie Iosue
6 years ago
I am looking for suggestions on the design and dimensions for building a new fireplace with built-ins in a large family room addition.
The wall we are using is 19’8”- lots of wall to fill! The ceiling is 8 foot, but pitches to a vault in the middle of the room.
We will be using a gas insert direct vent fireplace. Kozy Heat brand, looking at style SP41.
We are thinking of adding a window on the left side of fireplace wall. The size of window would be 33 1/2” wide by 60” high and then we would do a bully in window seat bench underneath, with drawers below the seat and cushion & pillows. The right side of the fireplace we want to do built-ins with lower cabinets and upper shelving.
-TV to be placed above mantel.
-The size of gas insert is 41 in wide.

I am looking for suggestions on:
-dimensions of the tile surround -8 in, 10 in, 12 in?
-Should I do wood trim around the tile, or do a shiplap cleaner look?
-I am thinking a wood beam mantel.
-What would the dimensions for the center fireplace bump out - depth and width? Vs. the depth of the built-ins and bench?
-Size of bench & size of cabinets?

All these details are overwhelming! Any suggestions on a great design is much appreciated. My Dad is my contractor and he basically said I can do anything I want... I just don’t know how to communicate my vision, and I’d rather be specific with dimensions etc. so I get what I want. Some inspiration pictures attached -
Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (8)