rblankenship6

Guest Room Help

C Renee
6 years ago
I need ideas on how to finish decorating this guest room. It has a more “country” feel because of the oak dresser. I have ordered a valance for over the window. The wall with the bed needs help! And do I need more layering on the bed?

Comments (15)

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The bed appears hard and uncomfortable. Sleep there a couple of nights yourself to make sure it is OK. You don't want guests to stay forever, but you don't want them to leave with a backache from your bed. Looks like the bed may be missing a wheel on the top left - it is leaning. Replace the metal chair with something soft and upholstered. That looks to be a leftover from a metal outdoor set. Add an armchair and footstool so guests can sit comfortable and read or relax with a cup of tea.

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Those are great ideas! Thanks!
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Love the nightstand idea too! The bed is actually straight, I had the camera tilted a little when I took the photo. I also like the idea of the picture over the bed. And that chair is from an old outdoor set lol... good eye! I'm working on that too.
  • remodeling1840
    6 years ago
    What a cute room! Good start. It is instructive to spend two or three nights in your own guest room to see what you have missed. Pack an overnight bag so you get the feel of the room. What would make it comfy for you?. And nightstands are a must for us since we both wear glasses and need a nearby surface to place them at bedtime. Also, I like to read for a little while, so a good reading lamp. Think about space in a dresser and the closet (with empty hangers!). My sister stocked her guest room with bathrobes-and had “Windswept Farm” custom embroidered on them.
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Love the robe idea! I'm not sure why the bed looks uncomfortable in these photos. My husband and I have both slept in there (me when he had the flu and then him when I was sick lol) and the bed is actually pretty comfortable. It is only a full size though because that's all the room would allow. I'm thinking it's the way the spread is laying that makes it look hard. I am going to slide the bed to the left to accommodate nightstand on the other side. There's a full walk in closet in the en suite bathroom as well. And the dresser has extra blankets and pillows.
  • drdeb1234
    6 years ago
    Attractive room. I would be concerned less about any aesthetic touches, and more about the practical stuff that really affects a guest’s comfort. Side tables and lamps for sure. Ideally on both sides. I really like a clock so maybe consider a little clock radio. Box of tissues too. Make sure the surfaces are clear enough for the stuff guests have. They’ll appreciate that more than knickknacks. That window seat? It’s pretty, but I bet that will be where a guest wants to put their suitcase, so maybe take away those pillows so your guest isn’t trying to find a place to put them. I often put a little basket in a guest room with essentials they might need - water bottles, hotel sized lotions etc (usually actual from hotels!), Tylenol, disposable razor. Practical stuff.
  • mimimomy
    6 years ago

I love your room as-is. It looks very serene. The bed looks comfortable to me, but I am not into overly poofy comforters :) It is a bit country, a bit farmhouse. It looks like a very nice place to kick back for a few days!

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you minimomy! It is country which is nothing like the rest of my home. I went in that direction for the guestroom because the antique oak chest has been passed down to us and we wanted to use it somewhere and keep it in the family.
  • mimimomy
    6 years ago

Well I think it's really quite lovely, and a guest room is the perfect place to use an entirely different style :) It's wonderful to be able to keep a piece of furniture that has special meaning for your family. All of the elements, the brass bed, the coverlets/quilts/rugs, and even your rose artwork all complement the antique oak chest.

For me, it evokes a simpler time.

• loobab
    6 years ago

I would have two large square pillows (European size, approximately 26 x 26") against the headboard so if guests want to sit up in bed reading, hey are not leaning against the hard metal rails. Also, I would move the carpet to the nightstand side of the bed so that when people get out of bed in the morning, their feet hit the carpet, not the cold floor. Please make sure your rug is tacked down to the floor in some way. The last thing you want is someone tripping! I would also make a long flat thick (3-4") foam cushion for your window seat and cover it with a zip on fabric cover and it can be used as a reading nook. If you don't already have one, please purchase a folding luggage rack, the type hotels have, and take it out of the closet when you show your guests to the room. I would remove some of those knick knacks from the shelves and think of the room as a hotel room. Put in a plant, a tour guide to the area, a map, a note pad, pencils, pen, some magazines to read, a couple of paperbacks..

• PRO
    Stage Two Sell LLC
    6 years ago

You've gotten wonderful advise here.

• C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I especially love the folding suitcase stand idea. Those knick knacks are our sons lego models. This room was previously a playroom. Now he’s a teenager and most of his things are now in the room with him except for these lol. I’m slowly working on pulling it all together. Everyone has been so helpful! Thank you!!
  • C Renee
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Someone said silver wood frames would look best in this room so I had my daughter’s art framed. It now has a much larger presence. I’m very happy with it. Now I have to work on the rest!
  • OldGrayMare
    6 years ago
    Who will be using this guest room? Reason I’m asking is because you said bed is only full sized. That’s awfully small for two people to share. I think with a wall mounted bedside shelf and lamp, you could get a queen bed in there...which is the minimum size for a comfy sleep for two in a bed. Guests who are up half the night because they are cramped, hot, etc etc make for grumpy guests which is not how you want them to feel in the morning. I know its true for me....been there, done that, lived it, but never again! LOL