hzdeleted_38045305

$5,000 for powder coated stair rails !?!?!!!

User
6 years ago

Looking to have my rails replaced with something very similar to the picture but have been quoated $5k for two rails and a grab bar. Normal?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Barnes Custom Builders
    6 years ago

I'm not sure how much that actual product is, or what was included in the quote, but I would imagine you will have to have the existing rails removed. The floor may need touch up. Walls may need touch up. And then labor to do all of these things.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Replacing stair railings is actually more expensive than people think. Get a few more quotes if you're not happy with the first one.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you both. I was definitely shocked. Going to line up a few more quotes and go from there.

• motupeg
    6 years ago
    I had a 5 foot single rail, powder coated, installed on my front step . It was $700.
    User thanked motupeg
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Motupeg, no way! that's awesome and encouraging. We need 15 ft max for the entire project. 10 ft rail 5 ft grab bar only.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

That sounds a little steep but not far off from what I've encountered. I recently got a quote starting at $180/linear foot but with added cost for anything with an angle or decorative railing. The price jumps quickly with the additional conditions.

• acm
    6 years ago

Also depends on what was there -- for example, if you had spindles attached to every step, while your new railings float, then there's a TON of repair needed. May also depend on whether your railings are any kind of standard size.

tldr; see Sina Sadeddin above.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

Where do you live? That is outrageous.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I never thought about kids climbing on these YIKES!! And yes, we have spindles attached to every step so that will indeed be more work. Suzy, I’m in Ocala Florida

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

What is the quote for? Fabricating and installing the rails? Does it include demo and removing and patching each step? Paint? I'd consider remodeling, the stair using the existing spindle locations.

• plan2remodel
    6 years ago

I replaced my stairs and railing. For the new railing, posts, and installation, I was charged $6370, plus 20% GC fee. This included an upgrade of $970 for replacing posts with 1/2" stainless steel bars. Installer needed to drill holes into the treads for the posts.

"before" photo:

"after" photo:

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

Another thing to consider before spending that much money -the new staircase railing you are considering is a bit trendy, and as I mentioned before, a possible put off to buyers with small children. I am wondering when stair railing codes will catch up to the design. The spindle type railing can be found in homes from over a hundred years ago up to the present. It can be made very attractive if it presently looks in need of some TLC.

You could even get an effect similar to plan2remodel by doing some of the same changes, flooring, wainscot, stair tread stain and then stain the banister similar. It would still be expensive but perhaps a little more timeless and easier to change up the style if you want something different down the road.

User thanked jhmarie
  • Marigold
    6 years ago

re the climbing hazard, I wanted this type of spindle pattern on my stairs, and they were deemed climbable. In our area, cross pieces need to be a minimum of 17.7" apart, to stop little toes from going from one to the other and climbing over the edge. We put in the spindles, passed inspection, and now my husband is slowly cutting small cross pieces and inserting magnets so they won't hold the weight of a little body. A lot of work, but far better to be safe.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

OMG - Remember when kids used to slide down the bannisters? Wonder how they got up there. lol

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so so much everyone!!