fwm123

Front Door Color Suggestions

fwm123
6 years ago
I need help choosing a color for our front door. Any suggestions? I would also like some advice for the garage- I don’t love having a giant white rectangle on the front of the house. Any ideas to help it “disappear” some?

Comments (33)

• Jacqui Naud
    6 years ago
    Paint it the same color as your house.
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Red, fuchsia or yellow. But boy do you need a better landscape plan. Everything is smooshed up against the house.
  • fwm123
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the advice! We do have a better landscape plan, but we’re not installing it until the spring. We have some work to do improving the drainage in the yard so we don’t drown the landscaping that we install. We just put in the bare minimum for now to satisfy the HOA requirements :)
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Some ideas for landscapting.
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Depending on your planting zone, fall is a better planting time. It allows the roots to grow over the winter before the heat of spring/summer hits. But if there are drainage issues, get that fixed first.
  • fwm123
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks, bellburgmaggie! What program did you use to do that? I have one that I’ve tried using, but haven’t been very pleased with the number of plants available. And what is the shrub/tree on the far left?
  • PRO
    Stylehaven
    6 years ago

What a lovely home! To tone down the white of the garage, I would suggesting going a few shades lighter than your exterior walls and paint the entry door the same color.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Daphne is several shades lighter than the siding. The color just a bit darker on the same card is Bracing Blue.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Bracing blue.....

I think painting the garage then after the door might be a good idea.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Bracing Blue appears a bit more rich to me, but may be too dark to you?

I tried a few colors from the stone on the sides of the garage and to me none of them look right.

• fwm123
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The siding is CertainTeed Pacific Blue. On my SW deck it seems closest to Waterloo and Slate Tile, maybe Granite Peak. Here is another picture with a little more sun. Edun Porter, what program do you use to play with different colors on a picture?
  • fwm123
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Never mind on the program question- he pictures were not showing when I asked that question :)
  • fwm123
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Left to right is Waterloo, granite peak, and slate tile
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

It's Sherwin Williams visualizer. I did try a color similar to the center and it fell flat on the home. I can try it if you like. I didn't use photoshop as you can't reproduce as well. Naturally, you'd have to sample using several coats on anything as your home and the lighting may make it appear differently.

Do you want to see a dark blue gray in the center? The site is acting up today for what ever reason!

• fwm123
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I would love to see one, thanks!
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

• acm
    6 years ago

Yes to blue garage; no to matching front door!!!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Outerspace at the top is obviously a lot more gray in tone. The lower Slate almost matches. Again, it's a computer program so what ever you do best to try.

One thing about SW paint is their samples are a pint vs. the big box stores selling tiny samples. Given that, if you love a color for example, "Outerspace" and it's a tad too dark you can take the can back up and tell them it's a bit too dark can you lighten it. At 25% lightening it's not a lot, but you can then go back and ask for add'l lightening. It only works with the larger sample cans as it won't reproduce to a gallon can if the sample size is not large enough. They are the only ones I know that sell the large sample cans. BM doesn't sell samples any longer unfortunately, at least in my area.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

true acm, mentioned best to do the garage then tackle the front door to best know what direction to go.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Not fond of Daphne, it's a bit too pale in blue for the home in my opinion. Not rich enough in tone.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think painting it the same color as the house would make it less noticeable. I like what Porter did w/the dark color

or you could do a wood or wood look door. would look nice w/the stone.

I did it here w/a gray door...and below w/blue door.

diff wood door w/a darker slate gray door and a red door

black door

and black door on Porters dark paint garage door

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

• pat1250
    6 years ago
    I would either paint the garage door a slate blue (what Porter suggested), or go with a replacement garage door as Beth has shown. A matter of $$$$$’s I would think.
    Either way, I like the idea of a mustardy color for the door - cheerful & bright in the dark entry.
  • fwm123
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks to everyone for all of your input and doctored photos- it is tremendously helpful :) Pat, I also like the idea of a wood garage door and front door, but replacing those things isn’t in the budget right now- I’ll have to go with paint. I was leaning toward a yellow door, too- maybe SW sunflower?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

here's your yellow door. I would think about redoing the two posts in a cedar wood material (that looks like the wood garage door). Having those in a natural wood would look very nice w/the stone and the yellow door. (or a slate gray door is also nice)

a charcoal, black or dark slate door, and the redwood or cedar posts, would look very nice

• PRO
    Pam Chapman Architect
    6 years ago

I think a burgundy red door would work well.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

If you head to Sherwin Williams for Cyberspace or another paint for the garage to sample, look at, "bees wax" for the front door. It's a very pretty rich yellow that is very saturated, but not JUMP out at you bright. I have paned doors and sidelights and we had them done in bees wax. It's a nice color to pair with the color on your home. I'm not sure they still have it, but certainly have the formula. It's a very nice rich tone of yellow. It varies by every swatch you look at on the net, but the color on these doors is fairly accurate.

Good luck.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Looked on the net that is and this is almost spot on with my doors.

Again, good luck with what ever you do and please post when you are done!

• jm_construction
    6 years ago
    Maybe pick a color that ties in the stone for both the garage and front door.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Tried it, didn't work out well IMO.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    The program is Pro Landscape Contractor for an IPad & its not inexpensive for the subscription but it is my entertainment. No I'm not a professional. The tree on the left is a dogwood. The other plants are azaleas, salvia, vinca (annual), miscanthus grass, deciduous hibiscus (to right of driveway). I concur about the garage door, it would also look nice as a cottage door (wood)
  • gtcircus
    6 years ago
    Another photo - you can download You Doodle, take screen shots and then paste it on the photo.