123_sam

Lighting decision....help

Sam N
6 years ago

We are in the middle of a full renovation, which has included a full rewire and lighting. We are almost at the stage where we will need to let the electricians know whether we want warm white or cool white bulbs in the downlights. As I believe they come as a complete unit now, I don't want to make the wrong choice. Our electricians recommended warm white, but a family member who is also an electrician says we should definitely go with cool white.... I can't remember what I had in the last house, but they were halogen rather than LED, so I'm guessing would be a different light anyway!! We don't tend to use overhead lighting at night, as we prefer lamps and warmer lighting in the evenings, but I want to be able to make the kitchen and bathrooms bright when necessary, without the light feeling cold. I know lighting also effects the colours in a room and I'm not sure if the warm white will put a yellow tinge on everything, or if the cool white will be too cool!... Am I over thinking it?! Lol :-) Any advice or opinions to help me out of my confusion? :-)

Comments (15)

• jacksplash
    6 years ago

https://www.integral-led.com/education/warm-white-or-cool-white. 

This is an article I found that may be of some help.

Good luck!

Sam N thanked jacksplash
  • chief_brody
    6 years ago
    Sam, the closest match to a halogen would be warm white 2700k. Cool white would make the rooms too cold. Also, you don't need fittings with integrated LED but can certainly choose downlight fittings and GU10 lamps separetely. That would be better and perhaps cheaper too.
    Sam N thanked chief_brody
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

I had cool white LEDs in my kitchen before we renovated it. There is a huge difference with warm white, the cool ones feel depressing with a blue indertone (in my opinion). Some that say cool are not, they need to be 2700K or less.

Sam N thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Sam N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your answers and advice, it sounds like it's unanimous for warm white. This has been really helpful, decision made! Thanks ;-)

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    We used to have LED 2700k, but I found it too pinkish. We now have 3000k, which to me feels much more like halogen light that we used to have. Not cool at all. Perfect neutral for me.
    Sam N thanked Carolina
  • Sam N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you both, this is really helpful, who'd have thought there was so much to bulbs?! :) We are at the point of the build where the questions on finish come thick and fast... I am drowning in decisions! :) good fun though!!

• PRO
    Lumen Designers Limited
    6 years ago

Hi Sam. Check out the Levello secret fix system at levello.net for quality British ingenuity! Also take a look at some really nice pendants and flush fittings from Orion - Viennese company but the website is not as good as their products orion.co.at/en

Sam N thanked Lumen Designers Limited
  • lottiefenwick
    6 years ago

Hi Sam, I have been through the exact same trauma as we are doing a big project with a stupidly small budget. I'm no expert, but by trial and error, this is what I have found... 2700k warm white bulbs give the closest light to halogen - but a much cleaner light. Totally agree that one company's 2700k is not the same as another!... which is a headache! Also some with the wrong CRI value can make you look like zombie when under them and make your vegetables look insipid when you are cooking... We settled on Philips 2700k bulbs in our downlights and are very happy with them (not too yellow but comfortably warm). We bought standard downlight cans and fitted the bulbs in... We have also used Scolmore Click Inceptor Micro downlights (2700k) in some places as we had shallow void ceilings there. They have integrated bulbs and are really good value but a lot warmer- a lot more of a yellowy light. I have used 3000k fittings for our accent lights (shower niches etc) which balance out the light temperature when they are all on together (hope that makes sense?) Also have Arrow Electrical 3000k integrated fittings in the corners of our hall which make the hall feel too cold but when the central pendant (halogen bulbs) is on then looks great in balance. If you have the budget there are some great fittings out there to choose from - you do get what you pay for on this one, but this is the best I found in our circumstances. Hope it helps you rule a few out/in. Good luck!

Sam N thanked lottiefenwick
  • Sam N
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks again for all the advice. Lottie, thank you for sharing your experience it's so helpful to hear from someone who has been through the process, this website is such a great resource! :)

• PRO
    The Lighting Company
    6 years ago

Warm white all the way for a cosy space, bathrooms and kitchens can be better places for the cool or natural white alternatives. It sounds daft but cool white can really make you feel cold!

Check out these JEDI IDUAL LIGHT BULBS. You can change the colour to suit your mood!

Sam N thanked The Lighting Company
  • PRO
    Lumen Designers Limited
    6 years ago

Less red content in a cool lamp so all your browns, oranges and reds become merged the cooler you go!

• PRO
    John Cullen Lighting
    6 years ago

Hi Sam, I hope it's not too late.

Here's some more information on how to choose perfect lighting for your home: http://bit.ly/2meq8Zg

If you would like to learn more, consider coming to our Lighting Masterclass, where we explain to our customers how to choose a perfect LED (much better than halogens) for their projects.

All the best.

Sam N thanked John Cullen Lighting
  • Heather W
    6 years ago
    We have the same dilemma!! We are currently renovating our the back of our house... kitchen/utility/WC/boot room. At the moment we are focusing on the kitchen and the lighting is going in over the next week. We have facility for 6 ceiling light, under counter and I’ve decided on plinth strip lighting BUT can’t decide on warm or cool. I personally am drawn more toward warm as I’m always cold and the back of the house tends to be colder too, I find warm more inviting too. My partner wants cool, as he thinks it will brighten the room and is more suitable for food prep/cooking etc. Any advice? Is there a happy medium? This is specifically for the kitchen and I would prefer not to mix and match.
  • PRO
    Lumen Designers Limited
    6 years ago

A cool light doesn't improve 'brightness' - you need to check the flux of the fittings. Look at the lumen output. For example, most cool white LED lamps emit more lumens per watt than an equivalent wattage warm white. However, a 10W warm white should emit more light than a 9W cool white. If you want more advice, please DM us and we'll see if we can help you out. Whatever you decide, ensure you obtain accurate CCT figures for your lights as different manufacturers say cool white is anywhere from 3500K to 6000K. DIY stores are bad for this!