daisy6666

CALLING ALL HONEST, TALENTED HOUZZERS!

daisy6666
6 years ago

CAN ANYONE SOLVE THIS? Here is a full bathroom in my home that really serves as a POWDER ROOM. I want to INSTALL NEW FLOORING. I am willing to paint walls and cabinets , if necessary.

1. Everything else stays. Floor leading into bathroom is medium brown, hand scraped, custom hardwood.

Comments (33)

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Removing tile while all of the other components are kept is risky. Are you willing to accept the possibility of damaging your tub and vanity? Is this DIY, or will you be hiring a Pro to remove the toilet, remove the tile, and then retile?

From what can be seen of the existing tile, it seems to go with the other elements. What about it bothers you enough that you are seeking to remove it and start over?

• daisy6666
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The tile, I thought was outdated. I am replacing the toilet and hiring pros to do the work. I am not a DIYer. I've had an experienced and well recommended tile installer to my home for measurement and estimate. He did not mention my tub being at risk for damage. I can take a pic of the floor without the area rug, if needed.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Yes, do take a picture of the tile without the rug.

• daisy6666
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Original Floor installed by builder in 1997. Thanks.

• PRO
    Design Inside - Chicago
    6 years ago

I agree with The Cook's Kitchen. When removing tile your surrounding base trim (at least the quarter round shoe), toilet and tub, etc. are at a small risk since you have to hammer and scrape to get the tile out. It's a messy job.

As long as your contractor tapes off the tub and cabinets and uses cardboard or something similar to protect the surfaces, you should be able to minimize the damage.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Save your money. The tile goes perfectly in that room.

• PRO
    Theyab Mubarak
    6 years ago
    Dearest, if it’s a powder room then I recommend removing the tub for it serves no purpose, presumably.

Go for a large white marble, I believe you can get the same look with porcelain or ceramic tiles which look the same.

Paint the walls ivory white. Remove the back splash.

Keep the vanity, but do paint it a darker brown and change the knobs with rustic gold colour.

Is it possible to switch the countertop? If yes do change it to white.

I hope this helps you.
  • daisy6666
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To Theyab,

While I would LOVE to completely redo this bathroom ( 1 of 5 bathrooms in my home), I was hoping just to freshen up this space NOT do a complete remodel. Thank you for your response and suggestions.

• daisy6666
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To The Cook's Kitchen,

Thank you for the advice. I was hoping to freshen this space up and check it off the list. You cannot insult me, I promise. Is the space updated enough to buy me many, many more years of use? By that I mean get my youngest through 3 more years of college, remodel of my master bath ( I've been told a $30K job) and re-carpeting the entire upstairs ( 2,000 sq feet)?

• daisy6666
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To Curly Cook,

Those are all good ideas. Thanks. The curtains are a light gold and pale green color. I can send a pic of those, if needed.

• PRO
    CAP Construction, LLC
    6 years ago

If the tile is in good shape, I would leave it. Change out the cabinet hardware and rug.

• curlycook
    6 years ago
    I recently updated my son's bathroom by painting it BM Gray Wisp, changing the brown shower curtain to mostly white, new towels, rugs, and decor items, and it doesn't even look like the same room. The paint color is going to make a huge difference! Although your curtains look nice, they are dark and are adding to the outdated look you are wishing to change. I'm excited to see what you do!
  • jj610
    6 years ago

Honestly I don't mind the floor. I think painting and getting a new shower curtain and rug would make a world of difference. Save the floor for when you do a complete redo.

• daisy6666
    Original Author
    6 years ago

All great ideas! So glad I turned to fellow Houzzers!

• loves to decorate
    6 years ago
    I have to agree with other commenters, I think you should leave the floor as is. For whatever it's worth...I would paint the wall a light, neutral colour (I'd pick a hue from your floor) and consider painting the cabinets a medium to dark brown ( maybe something that coordinates with the wood floor in the adjacent room?) I would look for some simple, contemporary cabinet handles/knobs too. Switch out the shower curtain for something lighter, and you are good to go. I think that would be enough of an update until you are ready for a full Reno.
  • mramsey
    6 years ago

Lots of great ideas from houzzers on a simple redo of the bathroom on a budget. Save the $$ for your master BR renovation down the road as you will use and appreciate that every day. The powder room just needs to be functional, pleasant and bright for all the folks popping in for a quick pee...

• Marci
    6 years ago
    The dark walls and ornate shower curtain are making the space feel confined and oppressive. Paint the walls a light color and update the shower curtain. Sleeker hardware and some more modern art and you're done.
  • shirlpp
    6 years ago

Okay, even though the shower curtains are light gold and pale green - they still need to be replaced, if you want to freshen.

• mnmamax3
    6 years ago

If you go lighter on the walls (the pale green in the tile and bowl), I would stick with a darker shower curtain but something more updated. Like others have said, floor is fine, change hardware, rug and art.

• Jan
    6 years ago
    The curtains do look dark on my screen. Also maybe it's the tie back that's making them look outdated. Try straight legs.
  • PRO
    Design Results: Creative Coastal Living
    6 years ago

There's a great product called CoreTec. It looks like Amalfi Beige is almost a perfect match for the counter. Having the flooring an counter blend wil make the room seem really spacious. CoreTec is an eco friendly, watertight floating floor. It would hide any imperfections left from the tile removal. Because it's watertight there are no groutlines- no grout lines! It's warm to the touch, not cold like tile, and has a layer of natural cork which is great for keeping noise down and insulating the floor.

Work with a good installer and get a few sample tiles. They come in 1' x 2's which is a great look. Message me for more. Check out my facebook page @designresults (and please "like it" for some great ideas!. Look at my project "flooring consult" for a picture of CoreTec on a ground floor I had installed. It's awesome.

• Geneviève
    6 years ago

You sure got a lot of replies ! your bathroom looks great the way it is , remove the runner and get a new mat .

• daisy6666
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Good morning to all who have graciously given me advice thus far! Thank you! I am listening to each suggestion and thinking things over. I would like to add an idea (hang in there with me please). A month ago, I ordered sample Saltillo Tile out of Austin, TX. It finally came. So since I have the sample tile now, I figure I should at least consider it. Here is what I am thinking: Change floors to a Saltillo Tile Riviera Pattern ( a combo of San Filipe and Fleur de Lis), paint the walls pale green, update the shower curtain and decor. Here is a pic.

A repost of the bathroom:

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

Hmmm....Maybe - Maybe Not.....Why not use that tile in one of the other bathrooms, and leave the floor alone in this one.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Have you talked to a contractor about the costs of changing out tile? It's much messier, and much more expensive than you may be anticipating. For very little gain. Your existing floor is great! It doesn't need changing, until you gut the bathroom and change everything else.

• PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    6 years ago

Here's a thought - paint the vanity a dark sage green, update the cabinet knobs to chrome to match the faucet then paint the walls a shade of white that pulls the color of the floor, or a very very light sage green. Then update décor and shower curtain. IMO if you darken up the vanity, the existing floor won't seem to clash as much with it. Love the vessel sink, although to me it begs for a more Southwestern theme!

• PRO
    CCM Countertop and Cabinet Manufacturing
    6 years ago

Bring in the color of the vanity top with rug, shower curtain and towels.

• Margaret Schultz
    6 years ago
    Here's what I suggest Daisy6666: I LOVE that you chose Saltillo ;-> and I think it would look fantastic with your current colors, but if you want to save $$, do these simple things before moving forward: change out the rug, the curtain, and the wood trim around the mosaic and mirror. Change the hardware on the cabs.

I think you have some nice materials in there and changing out some of the trims will make a huge difference.
  • daisy6666
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi! Thanks everyone. I appreciate ALL the advice and the emphasis placed on how to maximize the hard earned, all-mighty dollar. It is becoming clear to me that I am very emotionally involved in "ridding" my house of the tile in this bathroom. I bought this suburban, "semi-custom track" home in 1999 ( built in 1997). I have, slowly over the years, replaced this tile (same tile of bathroom in this discussion) which was originally covering a majority of my first floor. I am down to this bathroom and kitchen pantry. I plan to pull the wood into the pantry which leaves this bathroom. I am seriously considering leaving the floor and updating the room with paint, new bathtub curtain and decor as suggested. Here are the other areas of the first floor for reference and greater insight. Pic 1 open family room- kitchen; Pic 2 True Powder Bath ; Pic 3 Laundry room; Pic 2 and 3 Rooms to be painted a lighter- whiter- grayish color TBD( not the newspaper wallpaper) in one to two weeks; Pic 4 Family room; Pic 5 Office next to Bathroom of discussion;Pic 6 &7 Front of house and hallway leading to Bathroom of discussion.

Thanks again everyone. I am considering calling a pro-designer for a consultation. My house is 4K square feet and I am tackling a little every year. Humbled and grateful by the kindness on Houzz!

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

YW!!

• gm_tx
    6 years ago

I LOVE that saltillo tile, but it seems like a big departure from the (beautiful!) style in the rest of your home.

If you're set on tearing out the existing tile flooring, why not pull in the wood floor from the hallway, for a seamless look?

This would also allow that beautiful vessel sink to be the focal/statement piece, rather than that busy saltillo tile. I'd probably paint the walls a lighter color, change cab hardware, and replace the shower curtain with something lighter and more current.

• mnmamax3
    6 years ago

It so helpful to see your whole space to see what you like. I agree, skip the Saltillo tile and update with new shower curtain, update hardware and paint. I like someone else's suggestion to paint the vanity darker too. Maybe even the color you have on the wall in the last photo to pull those green tones.