disfromage

Another 70s Shed Style House Color Conundrum

disfromage
6 years ago

We are ready to stain our cedar home that was built in 1970. We have repaired the siding, replacing rotted and mismatched boards, and the roof is new. We are a bit stumped about the color because the windows are aluminum clad and while they look white in the photos in real life they have a strong bluish-grey tint to them. We are leaning towards black for the body of the house with an undetermined other color for the entry area, but are open to any and all suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (37)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

I would just clean the cedar for starters. Then you might not need to stain.

• disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The siding has been stained previously, is cleaning still an option?

• Denita
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

How about taking your color scheme from something like the pic below: charcole/deep blue siding, bright lime green entry, and maybe paint the bump out's a contrasting color - white or even a little more bold with orange/red similar to the chairs.

Menlo Park Modern · More Info

• Carol Singletary
    6 years ago
    I like Denita's idea of a dark charcoal blue. Based on what you said your windows were like, that could look amazing.
  • leelee
    6 years ago

Cleaning is worth a try for sure. Then consider where to go from there.

Black stain? That might look amazing but not with the white trim. Is the trim vinyl or is it painted wood?

Replace front door.

• Pool Habit
    6 years ago

I love the way it looks now. Won't the new boards change to the gray by themselves?

• disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A charcoal/blue is interesting, it just might look ok with the windows. We are not lime green and orange people, but agree that doing 1 or 2 contrasting colors could be fun. I appreciate the suggestions—we have been working on every square inch of this house for the last 3 1/2 years. It was badly neglected and has needed everything. We seem to have come to the end of our decision making abilities and are really stumped and are having a very hard time figuring out what to do with the exterior.

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

we're getting ready to paint our home 'charcoal blue' as well. we've chosen BM britannia blue.

and we like the color with wood

Mohican Hills House · More Info

• Denita
    6 years ago

Looks great ninigret.

OP, consider the dark 'charcoal blue' and crisp white trim around the windows and the door area, something like the insp pic below.

Ferguson · More Info

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    6 years ago

I don’t know if you are familiar with the Acorn Deck House which began many, many years ago in MA.

They have a spot here on houzz. Take a look at some of their projects.

https://www.houzz.com/pro/acorndeckhousecompany/acorn-deck-house-company

• User
    6 years ago

There is a gorgeous home similar to yours in the city I am moving to... painted/stained off-black, window frames & all. Reminiscent of what they're doing in Denmark etc. Looks gorgeous. I will try to take a photo in two weeks when I move!

Here are some photos I had saved for colour inspo when I was trying to close on a 70s wood house...

Nothing wrong with black stain & white frames...

And the opposite of black...

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

The roof looks black, or close to it. I'm not sure black is a good color for the house. I don't like house and roof to blend together and make the house look like a big black lump. Most people seem to advise a dark house so I made some images.

I might go lighter because you seem to have plenty of shade.

I don't know if your house is seen from the road or if you even care about street view but just in case you do, I modified the landscaping. The ground cover blocking the entrance negates it's importance. Even if no one approaches from the lawn it should look as if they could. I also changed the shape of the lawn. The shape you have now clearly indicates the handiwork of humans and I suspect you are aiming at a naturalized look.

If that is a Rhododendron in front of the door it should be relocated as it will block the door in time.

I would also consider removing the small wall at the entrance for a more open look.

• disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, they've been very useful and we have a lot to think about. After all the decisions we have made on this home I find it interesting that we have become totally stuck on a paint color. We are usually pretty good at it—overload I guess.

We will be looking seriously at charcoal/blues. Holding up a fandeck to the windows there are a few that look good. I think they will be less severe looking than black (which we haven't completely ruled out). We used BM Soot, which is a blue/black in our breakfast room and it also looks nice outside. Decisions, decisions...

Emmarene, thanks for the landscaping ideas. The house is not seen from the street. We plan on working on the front bed, and were planning on a perennial garden. We will certainly look at reshaping the bed and using it to lead the eye to the front door.

• 1beth58
    6 years ago
    Would love to see the Soot in your breakfast room!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

BTW do NOT PAINT. Use a stain. Even a full body stain will last longer than paint.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

If you still have a bunch of the old damaged stained boards around, nail a few together and use that as a test board instead of foamcore. It'll be easy to move around.

I suggest a light blue gray to go with your roof and windows.

• nan-nan
    6 years ago

Our neighbours have black wood siding and it is really oppressive looking. It has also weathered badly and I wondered if the dark colour absorbs more heat?

I do like a more barn board appearance with a grey stain. If you are still not sure, is there a section at the back left you could try with your colour choice and see how you feel?

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Black is the worst color to paint wood because in the sun it cooks out any kind of oil, natural or added. Like you can't paint a wooden front door black or it will warp, and if siding isn't vented really well, black just cooks it all out of shape and can cause streaks of liquified wood sap. Black can be made to look cool though, sometimes, just not a good idea for wood without special precautions during construction. By black I mean a shade of any color darker than a 60% gray.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Yeah you don't want paint. Paint is absurd. Get yourself some Cabots stain OHV or OVH it's called, I don't remember. Very effective stuff. Mad capillary action.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

If your tongue and groove siding is sitting right on building paper, and not on firing strips with air behind, you might cause some cupping if you coat just one side. When we put up wood siding that's going to be coated in any way, we prime every side before installation

• disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks again to everyone! Our painter is planning on a coat of oil based primer followed by 2 coats of solid body stain.

Ryan Olivieri, Inc— the bulk of the siding is original to 1970 so I assume it has moved around as much as it is ever going to? It is applied directly on top of some sort of compressed board that I am not familiar with. It is dark brown and fibrous.

Even though the manager of the paint store we use is very excited that we are considering black, it looks now that we will probably wind up with a medium to dark blue/grey.

• disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

1beth58—our breakfast room as requested

• Denita
    6 years ago

Very chic breakfast room...love it!

• 1beth58
    6 years ago
    I love it, too!
  • disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Denita & Beth!

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Yeah the wood has to be super seasoned by now and about as shrunk as it will ever get probably. I would forget the primer, myself. Oil stain essentially does the job of the primer. Your goal isn't to seal anything, quite the opposite. Primer is used to seal and smooth a surface, seal and smooth isn't what weathered wood wants. And... they didn't use any building paper?

• disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Ryan. I'll have a chat with the painter about using primer and see what he thinks. It was recommended by the paint store. You raise an interesting question about building paper, I am not sure if there is any or not. There are no signs that I can see of any issues, cosmetic or structural. The siding is in relatively decent shape given its age and the fact that the home was neglected for a number of years—the husband died and his wife closed the curtains and never left until her daughter rescued her, and then it sat empty. The interior walls, except for the lousy drywall installation, are in good shape.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Maybe they used tyvek and the sun has totally eaten away visible building paper. You want the stain to soak in and replace oils that baked out in the sun. Maybe by primer they mean some sort of penetrating sealer that evens out the tone of the stain. There was so much solid pigment in the cabots stain I've used there was certainly no need to worry about uneven color.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

Good luck. I live in something similar

• disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Ryan, it has been what feels like an endless series of adventures. Now at last we are almost done. Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud—who knows what will now happen next???

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

Just remember, we like to see After pictures.

• PRO
    Ryan Olivieri, Inc.
    6 years ago

After pictures and remember to keep dirt and mulch from piling up against the bottom of the siding cause it will cause it to rot. Same reason to clean the gutters often.

• disfromage
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I for sure will post photos after painting. It will be a while, probably a couple months, but I'll remember.We are very grateful for all the input and suggestions. We were totally stuck and you all have gotten us mobilized and able to think about what should have been fairly easy and somewhat fun. Painting to commence soonish!

Gutters get cleaned twice a year. We had a lot of rot at the bottom of much of the siding. We had a very clever carpenter cut the rotten areas out and replaced with a horizontal board with flashing. We also did some regrading of the yard—much of it sloped towards one corner of the building causing not only rot, but basement flooding. Drain tile and having everything slope away from the house (Duh!) fixed the leakage. The ground is now at least 4 inches below any wood. This place has been an endless series of problems—most of them at least have been fairly easy to correct. Then there was the homemade wiring and plumbing....

• kristinhallett
    6 years ago
    I have a cedar home too and it also needed a good conditioning paint. We used Olympic Elite which is a oil based stain that is solid color. There r many tints to choose from. I picked cedar. Cedar sucked it up. The up keep for cedar expensive but if u use this stuff u can go from 3 to 4 yrs in between staining. I would not put primer on it but I would presser wash it.

Posting pic of home and stain. We stained home 3 years ago.
  • kristinhallett
    6 years ago
    So many typos. Should have reread before posting. Pressure washer is biggest gaffe...lol