keya_mitra

Recycling a 1920's double door bookshelf

Keya Mitra
6 years ago

Hi! I have inherited a old wooden bookshelf, 1.35 m long, 40 cm wide and about 1.5 m tall. It has double doors with glass panels and 4 equally spaced shelves inside where I presently store books. I intend to move this to the second bedroom and don't really need additional storage for books there. Looking for suggestions for reusing this furniture because I definitely want to keep it. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    zen
    6 years ago

1) You could convert it to a wardrobe

2) the glass door can be replaced with wooden doors, keep it horizontal , legs could be attached and you have a divan / seating with storage.

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    6 years ago

Any pics?

• URVISINGH Sukul
    6 years ago
    I like the wardrobe/divan idea.Put it flat on its back with open shelves facing up .And put wooden covers with handles,so that it becomes a makeshift bed/divan with storage.It could be a cupboard with long divisions.You could put shelves there.Flat on its back(divan), standing the way it is(dresser) or standing up on its height by width side(wardrobe),any which way it is eminently usable.I do not go by the name"interior designer/architect"
  • URVISINGH Sukul
    6 years ago
    For the divan,the handles should be those foldable narrow metal ones on hinges
  • Keya Mitra
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The idea of laying it horizontally and using it as a divan won't work because it doesn't have the height. Besides, there is a cornice on top that would have to be removed and I don't really need a divan. The idea of painting it and using it as a linen closet seems like the simplest and most elegant solution. But thanks everyone for your suggestions.