jcwons

Inspiration desperately needed!! Need serious outside the box thinking

House Bunny
6 years ago

I've posted before and got some great advice - I'm now implementing the plans but there is one bit still to be decided.

We have a mezzanine floor coming off the livingroom, above the diningroom. The mezzanine floor is really odd in that you can't stand up in it, the height is low (54") - so the only activity that you could really do there is sat down. The floor space is 74" x 114".

Ideally we would use this space for something, but are struggling to think what. Having sat up there for a while we decided it wouldn't make a good cinema room. The other idea was a reading nook, but the new livingroom is going to have a reading area with armchairs for reading and we don't really do that much reading to justify to separate areas for it. We have a study in a separate room. Husband doesn't want it as a gaming room because he will go wherever the biggest screen in the house will be.

Does anyone have any clever (or any) other ideas what we could use the area for?

At the moment it's got a glass handrail, but we could turn it into a solid wall.

Just thought we could make it into a wine "cellar" except neither of us drink wine! But it's something like that we need. A use for it.

We don't have children otherwise it would work as a good child pen.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (21)

• kiwimills
    6 years ago
    sounds like it might already be built ?
    glass Rail and all .
    does it have any views? can you reconfigure the lounge and move the ' library ' up there and have the very best snuggle chairs up there so you will use it! even if its just an iPad pit or a ' hubby on big TV I'm getting away for a bit upstairs " pad with a book ( get good lamp) or with your phone / laptop.
    i would make it your chill out space.
    every woman wants a lady cave...surely.!?!!?

nice rug, chair,/ or squishy sofa / fancy lamp,/ small cabinet for crisps. yorkies and hula hoops., nice cushions , floor cushions too to loll around....you get my drift.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

If you don't need it, then I probably would go for removing it and having the High Ceiling back over the dining room. Clearly someone needed it at some point ( guest bed?, crafting? )

• House Bunny
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi,

Thank you for all the replies!!

It is already built, wouldn't have occurred to me to build it in a million years.

The original plan was to remove it when we bought the house, but then we got talked into keeping it. I don't think the diningroom would necessarily benefit too much from a double height ceiling - I quite like how it is now. It's quite a small room and I don't want it to be "grand".

The mezzanine floor has a window looking into the kitchen. It also has its own independent ceiling lights (if that makes a difference to anything).

We are replacing the glass and handrails and stairs to it, which is why all that is flexible in terms of location and materials but the mezzanine floor itself is obviously very structural. The joiner is extremely creative, but needs to know the purpose of the space to best help us with a plan.

If we were to move the "library" area up there it would create a weird gap in the livingroom. The current plans are a corner sofa looking out into the garden and at the TV. With part of the sofa creating a "wall" in the middle of the livingroom. Then I was going to fill the separate area with a giant accent colour super comfortable chair (s) with lamps and a bookcase for books and magazines.

The lady cave has got me thinking a bit........

Maybe it's purpose will continue to be the talking point whenever anyone comes into the room..... What is that? What is it for?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    Why not buy some empty wine crates and give the impression it's a wine cellar from below - the have a comfy chair, lamp and small tv or iPad Pro dock and a few magazines and keep it as your chillout zone ?! ( lady cave but disguised as a wine cellar )
  • kiwimills
    6 years ago

Moet crates !

I would def use it for you.

You just have to decide..what!!

• kiwimills
    6 years ago

• minnie101
    6 years ago

A game of twister?! It doesn't sound as if you need the space for anything? I'm not sure of your style but I would just add bold art, a plant and a funky chair to make it an interesting display. Alternative to bookshelves you could just have a display if you collect anything.

• kiwimills
    6 years ago

Ooooewwww you could START collecting !!! Whop!!!

• Jules Mc
    6 years ago

Like Minnie says if you don't need it for anything why not go for fun or pure indulgence. A spa type area? Cosy reclining nook, lovely throws and cushions. A couple of reclining beds, docking station, magazines, etc etc. Things around you that make you feel fab.

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    How about a hanging chair, with loads of cushions.
    Or a cat, and make it a cat's paradise.
  • kikiamack
    6 years ago
    Sounds ideal for a rowing machine, if you're into exercise?
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    Given that the space is too low to stand and too small for most furniture why no just add some floor cushions. I love these Moroccan style images
  • PRO
    AVA Projects
    6 years ago

What about creating a cinema space?

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

How about a big furry beanbag and a stash of expensive magazines that you don't want hubby to know that you bought?

• PRO
    Decor Books
    6 years ago

If you decide on a reading nook, make a statement with the books. One or two colours.

• PRO
    Decor Books
    6 years ago

• PRO
    Decor Books
    6 years ago

• Rose Williams
    6 years ago

Hammock and a VR headset!
    ... imagine taking the headset of while you are gently swaying right up there! It could be a good place to have trailing plants growing down, so up there would be a good place to maintain them, look over your home and be surrounded by greenery

• PRO
    BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts
    6 years ago

How about open book shelves at the front with a sliding ladder for access and a hidden storage space behind.

We’re always happy to help if you need any further advice.
    If you’d like one of our floor plan design experts to help you optimise your space - visit our website: www.betterspace.co

We offer a low, a fixed-price package that include tailored design, furniture layout recommendations and a professional floor-plan drawing as well as a 3D package which includes a 3D floor-plan and photo-realistic images that will help you visualise your new design.

You can use promo code ‘houzz’ for a further 15% discount!

• PRO
    Pearpod
    6 years ago
    Keep it and embrace it! It sounds like the perfect snug to me. Understandably it could do with a feature. How about a bespoke woven willow nook to curl in to and read/sleep/relax? At Pearpod we create tailor made willow pieces to fit any space... could be just the thing !