marcimitchell

Need help with paint colors

Marci Mitchell
6 years ago

Time to repaint our mountain home! I like the dark trim and want to keep that. I don't like the present color of the siding and thinking of going warm gray that might have a little green in it. The shakes at the top will go dark warm brown (Sherwin williams Yankee barn). The door stays a brown with some red in it (Sherwin williams Fiery Brown). Colors I'm looking at are Valspar Aspen Gray for siding, English Tea Party for the trim. There are beams on the back of the house that I'm planning to use Western Brown which could be used on the front as it goes pretty well with the shake color. What do I do with the porch?? What color should the deck/stairs be and what color should the railing/posts be? I think there needs to be contrast but I don't know what colors to use where. And if anyone has other color ideas as long as we keep a dark trim I would love to see them. Not many images on the internet for dark trimmed homes.

Comments (16)

• Bette P
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What color is your roof and your gutters? What color is the dark trim you wish to keep? Are you dealing with paint on the stairs/porch components or an opaque stain? You may find it easier to choose one paint company for everything, rather than both Valspar and SW. I'm confused where English Tea Party trim is going?

The trim color is Benjamin Moore's 2139-20; Dakota Woods Green, LRV is 10
    The body of the house is Benjamin Moore's HC-100; Gloucester Sage, LRV is 19. The window trim is lighter, either a pale yellow or a wood stain to tie in the porch railing, porch floor and door , the details on the photo don't mention this. Does a simple paint scheme like this appeal to you? You could certainly lighten up these choices.

Maureen Residence · More Info

• Marci Mitchell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maureen, your house is beautiful! Yes this gives me some ideas. I was looking at doing a VERY darker trim and I now think that is a mistake. I see that your porch railings and porch floor are the trim color but lighter than what I've been looking at and I like that. I will have to lighten up at least the siding as we have many trees around and I want the house to show but still fit in with the mountain environment. Unfortunately we don't have some of that great stone work to show off that many of our neighbors have so the color pallet will "make" the look. I agree a simple pallet is the answer. Thank you so much for sharing you picture and for your suggestions!!

• designgirl178
    6 years ago

sorry, this:

Marci Mitchell thanked designgirl178
  • PRO
    Tipi Interiors LLC
    6 years ago

Marci, such a beautiful home! Something you might be interested in is the Project Color Home Depot App. It allows you to take photos (such as the one you posted above) and actually see what colors you are contemplating will look like on the house! Just a thought! Good luck!

• Marci Mitchell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! I've tried several but not that one. Previous poster suggested porch railings be the color of the trim and I agree that will add interest to the front porch.

• Lynn G
    6 years ago

I always think a house looks best with 3 colors, especially having one of those colors "pop". With all those current brown-ey colors, I could see using a color like turquoise on the door to give a pop. Maybe even carry that thru to the porch columns and hand rail - but the door would probably be enough...

It the thought appeals to you, or not sure it does, try it since you are planning to paint the whole house anyway. If you like it, incorporate the idea into the next color selection.

I think I would like it better with white around the windows - would brighten it up so much. Then even if you do a siding color of grey as you mentioned (cool or warm) the pop of a color on the door would just give some added life and dimension. Then if you get bored just change the door color - yellow, peach, red, pink, lime, periwinkle, etc.... When doing pops of color do it in small amounts that are easily and cheaply changeable.
    http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/rooms-and-spaces/doors-and-windows/28-inviting-colors-to-paint-a-front-door-pictures

Note: when I bought my house last year it was painted grey with white trim and a red door, and they used the red inside and out. I really like that! My intention is to change it to pink as I've always loved the look of pink and grey together. One of these days... And I will use the color inside and out on the door...

Marci Mitchell thanked Lynn G
  • TC Hudson
    6 years ago

I agree with the thought to make the porch railing and posts the same dark trim color. On the siding I think a grey/olive/sage green would look lovely. In the somewhat blank looking areas on either side of the front door, I would center large hanging lanterns to add some pizzazz. It's a lovely home!

Marci Mitchell thanked TC Hudson
  • nanakeroyd
    6 years ago

I just recently saw a craftsman home with a dark grey roof, medium sage green and med to dark brown posts. Was really nice. Would go with your lighter porch. Just a thought.

Marci Mitchell thanked nanakeroyd
  • nanakeroyd
    6 years ago

Just a few examples.......look online and type in craftsman and color home you are thinking of....sage green craftsman home photos for instance...you will get a myriad of examples

Marci Mitchell thanked nanakeroyd
  • nanakeroyd
    6 years ago

My husband just painted this pic...lots of colors and it makes the picture pop.....think of nature and her palate for your lovely mountain home

• Marci Mitchell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What a wonderful picture! And yes I love the colors

• kcccrn *
    6 years ago
    Note the green with paler trim and dark windows. Would this work on your house?
  • Marci Mitchell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes it might! I'll look at this combo.

• kcccrn *
    6 years ago
    These are BM colors.
    Marci Mitchell thanked kcccrn *
  • Mich
    6 years ago

Your house is whimsical to me and I think the walls could be great in a greyish lavender with dark grey trim. Good Luck, you have a real cute home.

P.S. I don't work for Valspar but I like their color pallets the best.

Valspar Euro Grey Match

Valspar Volcanic Ash

Marci Mitchell thanked Mich