susileh

Kitchen matte or gloss? Please help!

susileh
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I've got 3 questions...

Our kitchen is in a big, open plan area with lots of natural light. The color palette throughout the house is generally white, black, gray and wood. We've got blackbutt floorboards with a matte, nearly unfinished looking sealant and a low, concrete shelf under a black fireplace. All our kitchen joinery will be white except for a row of upper cabinets and a bookshelf built into the island, both of which will be birch ply. The kitchen and island benchtops will be a near white caesarstone that's pretty low sheen and our splashback will be glossy white subway tiles.

We'd been planning to do the rest of the cupboard doors and drawers (there are a lot of them) in a matte white 2pack, which seemed more interesting and new, but now I wonder would gloss would be better? I'd hate to overdo the matte finishes and make this incredible bright room lose some of it's light. (Before anyone suggests satin, I'm not a fan -- it feels like it hasn't made up its mind about being flat or shiny).

For the sake of simplicity, can we use the same "Vivid White" that's on the walls or is that a no-no?

Also, our architect suggested charcoal kickboard but it seems like adding another color unnecessarily. Any reason we shouldn't just do black?

Thanks houzzers!

Comments (4)