smilesesq

Advice before meeting with contractor/architect?

smiles33
7 years ago

We purchased a home on a large lot and love where we are. It's difficult to find a lot of this size in our metro area, so we do not intend to move to another lot with a "move-in" ready house.

The house itself was built in the 1950s and has been renovated twice. However, we are thinking of pushing walls out to expand the tiny kitchen and create an extra bedroom and 1/2 bath. I've made some calls (based on referrals from others) to find a contractor, an architect, and/or a designer to help us figure out what the "master plan" is before we confirm whether we can do it all at once or need to do it in phases.

What, if any, advice do you have for us to prepare/research before meeting with the experts? Should we be "pinning" photos of kitchens we like? Who should we meet with first? I have one interior designer who says she works on plans. I'm still waiting to get a referral to an architect, and I have 2 contractors willing to come out to look at the house but I don't know if that should be the first step.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)

Sponsored