emmelinewe

Where's your home office?

Emmeline Westin
7 years ago

Choosing where to place your home office is usually dependent on space and family members/flatmates. Not everyone has room for a dedicated home office, so sometimes you need to get a bit creative to be able to work from home.

Where have you placed yours? It could be a nook with a fold-up desk, or even a space in your garden. Photos are always welcome!

Home Office · More Info

Bedroom
Kitchen
Spare room
Dedicated home office
Garden
Living room
Other

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Michael Nicholas Design
    7 years ago

Mine is on a dedicated floor - away from the "home" so good separation between home and work life.

As an interior designer - it's stylish and of good quality to ensure visiting clients receive the right impression. Photograph of meeting area attached.

• Stephen Edwards
    7 years ago

I no longer need one as I have retired, I have a small writing desk in my bedroom and a filing cabinet for paperwork in the walk-in airing cupboard. The former office cubby-hole now contains a keyboard and comfyish chair.

• embzop
    7 years ago

Dining table is my office when working from home. With so much communication being paperless there is no need for me to have a dedicated office. Everything is unpacked and packed away in less than a minute.

• PRO
    Douglas Strachan - Chartered Architect Midlothian
    7 years ago
    I started my business working from my attic, before growing into a high street office. Ive also tried setting up a desk in the bedroom, but as I'm on the laptop when I'm at home, I always seem to end up on the couch in the living room!
  • Mark Duffy
    7 years ago
    I am lucky enough to have a dedicated room on the ground floor. Although not complete separation from the rest of the house, I can close the door on it at the end of the day. With the need for paper work and multiple screens connected to a laptop and an environment where I can comfortably video conference from at any time of day or night, a dedicated room was the only way to go.
  • bfrobson
    7 years ago

When we extended the house the upstairs study [the smallest bedroom] turned from a minute square box, housing two separate PCs plus associated speakers, scanner and printer, to a fair sized L shaped room. It now incorporates a large Hornby railway layout [still very much a work in progress], an electric keyboard, a collection of guitars [electric and accoustic] with amplification and speakers, fitted and movable storage plus display cabinets for vintage Britains model soldiers. Now not so much a study as a hobbies room! It still accommodates a worktop with space for 'his' PC and speakers, but I've moved mine to the guest bedroom along with scanner and printer and the two are networked.

• Tim Price
    7 years ago

I took what was supposedly a dining room and made it into an office - 2 desks, 2 filing cabinets and storage cabinets. It was too small for a real dining room - put a table in the middle with chairs around it and everyone would be backs to the wall!

We have a room in the loft that would be large enough but it was intended as a store really and is far too hot to use during the day (roof insulation is not used here). Also, it doesn't seem right to have any business visitors going all the way through the house up 2 flights of stairs!

• Tim Price
    7 years ago

How about pictures of real home offices - used ones, not staged ones?

• schiffbruechige
    7 years ago

I ticked "other" as mine is in our basement, which is a long (7m) office/workshop. Part of the reason we moved 2years ago was the previous house was too small - the wofkshop was in ghe tiny dining room (sounds like Tim's) and the office was in the living room along with the dining table and sofa..

• Ruth M
    7 years ago
    Moved into our current home 4 years ago which had a (very) small , simply laid out walk in wardrobe ( just wall t wall rails) . my husband and myself argued about who should benefit from the space, so I converted it into a compact office with a fold down bureau. Only problem is I'm running electricity in with an extension lead at the moment... but still, a good move!
  • Lynn Mercer
    7 years ago

Mine is in the garden, and works for me.

• PRO
    Seasons in Colour
    7 years ago
    1/4 We currently have his and hers home offices as we both work remotely sometimes... especially when the trains don't work! (Thanks Southern!)

The mancave as we used to call it is a small downstairs room that was not big enough for dining room. It went through a very dark phase as you can see here but the husband felt almost depressed in it after some time!
  • PRO
    Seasons in Colour
    7 years ago
    2/4 so after almost 8 months in the dark, we wallpapered with Farrow & Ball's Enigma last November. The room is lighter and the colour way chosen is making the pattern feel less busy. We papered in L-shape and painted the other two walls in Parma Grey.
  • lesley9638
    7 years ago

We converted a small storage area off the main bathroom and knocked the back of our airing cupboard out so the space was accessed from the upstairs landing when we changed our heating system & the airing cupboard became redundant. It gave us a small but workable library & office space. We now have two of us working from home as well as two older children studying so we're currently converting the roofspace of our garage to a combined office/meeting space and den for the children. Dividing the space effectively is proving challenging. Attaching photo of library space & work in progress in the attic. When it's done, I will post better photos.

• PRO
    Seasons in Colour
    7 years ago
    3/4 The second home office is a first floor room, 3mx3m in size, with double seating on the desk and room for one bookcase. This is the Seasons in Colour HQ as I call it. It also features a linen black and white mural by Surface View. Two walls are painted in Farrow & Ball's Railings. www.seasonsincolour.com
  • Sandra Walsh
    7 years ago

I have a problem office located in the garden that has a tendancy to make its way into the house. Even though we have the office in a separate building. There is no room for toilet, tea/coffee, and or sink. We like to bring stuff into the house at times because it is more comfortable to be able to reach everything while we work. Inevitably all the flat surfaces end up being "The desk".

• PRO
    Nordikka - Bespoke Furniture & Steel Doors
    7 years ago

If space is an issue you can always hide the office with our help .

• PRO
    John Gauld Photography
    7 years ago

Someone -- Tim Price - asked to see a real one. This is where the work is done. I did say earlier, that it was untidy!!! I could do with Sliding Wardrobes Solutions to rotate my entire study...

• Lynn Mercer
    7 years ago

I work from home a lot so has to be workable. I do try to keep as tidy as possible and do have to keep some files and paperwork in our house as well.

• PRO
    Nordikka - Bespoke Furniture & Steel Doors
    7 years ago

John Gauld Photography :) Please email your office dimensions and I'll prepare the design for you .

• Tim Price
    7 years ago

John Gauld Photography - clearly a man after my own heart there looking at your office. We are in different business areas on different continents but share a kinmanship in the way our office contents fully fill the room to overflowing.

I do applaud SlidingWardrobeSolutions optimistic belief that a wardrobe like structure could contain it all. In my case I suspect sliding warehouse solutions would be more appropriate. I deal in technical safety and rescue equipment so samples take up space, as do things in for service, filing cabinets for records (most of this stuff requires licenses, periodic record keeping and so forth), more filing cabinets for brochures and manuals, a service and repair desk for stuff that can get inside the room (some has to be done at the customer's location due to equipment size) and basically spares, tools and odds and ends. This is not an office to work from instead of going to a main office, it is THE office.

I find that if I put everything away (I have managed to do so a few times) much of it suffers. We are in the tropics, so air conditioning is required at times. Not wanting to run it 24/7 due to costand environmental concerns means that humidity and temperature levels change wildly (a cold drink here has to be stood in a saucer because after 5 minutes there will be almost a second drink due to condensation on the outside of the glass.) Tropics = a minimum of 65% humidity at any time and shade temperatures up to the very high 30's centigrade. Glossy brochures tend to stick together in a big lump. Many pieces of equipment and components have to be kept in sealed bags - looks ugly. The cabinet I stand the colour laser printer/scanner/copier on has a tendency to get mold on one side - the result of the printer's air circulation! This was made worse due to a water leak in the wall from next door for almost 2 years (cured over 2 years ago now). It got under the laminate floor via the edge. Luckily when I fitted it I had been very careful with the foam and plastic sheet underlay so the laminate is okay, but I suspect trapped water is still slowly being drawn out. It is the coolest and darkest room in the house so it is taking time. Part of the living room suffered the same from the same leak but is completely fine now - more space and ventilation and warmer when not in use, so now all dried out from under the floor (same laminate throughout downstairs except for kitchen and bathroom.)

I do a lot of work on my notebook and as it has an 8 to 9 hour battery that means the house is my office. I'm typing this as a break from work at the moment and I'm sat on the sofa nicely reclined for comfort.

• Richard M
    7 years ago

Dedicated space is mine favourite - have just converted the hallway leading to the bedrooms in our basement flat.

it used to look like this

Now looks like this (all the wires are hidden )

• PRO
    Signature Landscapes
    7 years ago

Alfresco Living - Bespoke Garden Buildings · More Info

Alfresco Living - Bespoke Garden Buildings · More Info