jenna_carr

My exterior needs a facial

Jenna Carr
7 years ago
My husband decided that he would trim the landscaping but, instead he butchered it!!! I'm not concerned about that right now but, figured it's time to paint the exterior garage door as its prob. The cheapest route instead of having the panels replaced. If I have to resort to that I can check prices as I would NOT want my garage door to start peeling.
Side of house w/ garage door
- I think this side of the house is too flat: paint the garage door? If so, what color & kind of paint? The walk thru door - I need to change it - considering a stained door w/ glass panes on the top ? And possibly a copper awning above it like the other copper awnings on my house? and should I put shutters on the window by the walk thru door? If so what color? (Dark blue gray? & what kind?) I can't really put shutters on the rest of my house but, possibly on the windows on the back of my house on each end (the 3 Windows framed on each end?) Also, the fake shutter on the front of the house & the other shutter door thing that leads into the garage - they've faded & look rusty orange or something. I would have picked something more like a dark brown - please give me ideas of what color as well.
I'm cannot usually visualize what things would look like so, anyone that can actually show me what it would look like - I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!!! I received so much help w/ my interior on my other 2 dilemmas that I'm very thankful. I just need a change from doing the inside & with spring near I figured it's time to do a little updating on the outside. Excuse the mess - he's been pressure washing so, things are scattered! Thank you in advance!

Comments (73)

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That AC unit cover is cool! I've been wanting something hide it
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The are the two things that need to be re-stained
    What color? I don't like the rusty color - my husband picked it out - now that it's fading I can restrain it but, color is the issue.
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Is your garage door currently the same color as your window trim? If not, I'd consider painting it the same color. A nice, rich mahogany would look good on your wood shutters. You can paint your columns with concrete stain or paint colored to match your window trim as well. I agree with folks above who say they just don't blend in with everything else on your lovely home. I think your current side door is fine as is but if you want to replace it with something with glass, I'd keep it simple and just use a divided four lite that mimics your side window to replace it and keep it the same color as your trim work.

• shelleyuk
    7 years ago

I don't think there is anything wrong with the side door in itself. What don't you like about it?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Idk should your house look more Country Manor, or dressed-up? Isn't hubby's door somewhat mahogany? If you altered the color a bit, what if front house columns were the same / and seen against black front door hmm..?

• houssaon
    7 years ago

First, I really hope you don't paint the brick no matter how nice it looks. Why turn something that is virtually maintenance free into a costly project every 7 to ten years? Plus, there is nothing unpleasant about present color.

I think you really should focus on the landscaping. You need more toward the front of the yard and need to remove the bush covering the only window.

Here is one good layout:

The Green House · More Info

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm very thankful for all the help. The side door frame is rotting & we've already painted the door a couple times so, I'd like to add something that will let in some light. I like the door posted above. In my mind I was thinking one simular but, stained w/ the copper awning above it. The garage door & walk thru door are the same color. I was even considering looking into them replacing the panels on the garage door to a stained look. But, I'm not good @ picturing any of it.
    I know my husband would never agree to painting our brick & as mentioned above maintenance free is the reason we chose this house. We haven't put much into the outside over the years. I will check into the mahogany stain for the fake shutter Etc. I do believe my front door is that color. I also LOVE the picture of the brick house w/ the landscaping - I'll check into that as well. Sorry, if I'm not mentioning everyone by name as its too hard to go back & forth on this iPad. I will check into removing the tree.
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also, the garage door & walk thru door do match the window trim
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

See... brick house with columns matching trim...

Green Basements & Remodeling - Exterior · More Info

• Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

And and red brick house with columns matching trim. Then could do garage door & fake shutters in a medium grey. Could you take s pic of the brick at the front of the house where the fake shutter is.. looks like a lot of grey color in the brick there.

Portico & Shutters · More Info

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    A few more pic's
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This parking area is at the bottom on the mound - which is below in the area of the rusty looking fake shutter
  • marrymaid
    7 years ago

Hi, Jenna. I am checking in and happy you have some great helpers. Such a lovely home.

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you... Needs some TLC so, it can look nice this summer.
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

You can gel stain the garage and side doors. It can look terrible if it's not done well though. There's a half million dollar house down the road from me that did their garage door and it ruins the whole look of the house because it looks like a DIY project gone wrong! Good luck with your project.

• Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Ok, I can see that there looks like brown in the bricks rather than grey... is that true?

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Close up
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @ Katinparadise, thank you... I think the gel stain would look nice but, I would def. mess that up & would be in a bigger bind! I just feel like my garage door has faded over the last 13 years.
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Lainie, I'm not really sure if I see brown. The mortar is gray & they did the sack finish w/ the mortar to distress it some
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

You can buy a stained fiberglass door in both a garage and entry door. They're expensive but to me, it's better than a door that looks like a craft project!

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'll search for the stained fiberglass - I appreciate it!
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

Hopefully you'll find something you like. Good luck!

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I sure hope so. Is it best to paint the walk thru door the same as the garage door? Or is it ok to leave the garage door as is & either paint a new walk thru door like you posted above or get a stained one? I would add a copper awning above the walk thru door. All of our house trim is vinyl so, our exterior is basically no maintenance - which I love. I'll be looking for a rich mahogany stain for the fake rusted looking shutter & other shutter door thing.
    I just wish someone would actually show me options but, I think they're all tired of me with all my interior decisions. Lol. It's hard for me to visualize. Thank you for all of your help.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

I think the focal point should be the walkthrough door... therefore the walkthrough door should be a lighter color than the garage door. Paint the garage door darker to match the fake shutters.

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Lainie, I'm only seeing one of your comments but, in my email it looks like you posted 2? It won't let me read it.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Probably deleted it by mistake. Could you like the one above so that I can see if it's the one that you are seeing?

• Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Ok, that's the only one that I see also. I'm suggesting to paint the garage door darker as it is too big a surface to be painted light .. it overtakes everything on that side of the house.

Did you like the sample pic that I sent you .. with the red brick house with the light columns that matched the trim?

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is the house similar to ours. We did our garage opening on the opposite side. Looks like their garage door is more like a taupe? Also, I need to add a section on the front of my house like their landscaping. Not sure if you can see the garage door color?
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I just so happened to find this pic this morning from 12 years ago. Lol. I don't think that color garage door was available from the place our contractor used. Ours is lighter but, it has also faded in the last 12 years. I'm going to call them this week & see if they can change only the panels to a taupe look or a stained look? I think if I try to paint it myself I'm going to have a bigger mess! Unless they know a professional that can handle the job. I do like that house you posted.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Should be no problem to just get a professional painter to paint it any color that you want. Just need the weather to be warm enough. Is that a pic of you & your daughter that you have on your profile picture?

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, that's us! Haha
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

like their taupe/putty color instead of creamy....what about your trim - it's creamy?

• DH
    7 years ago
    not sure if anyone mentioned this but does the roof need to be replaced at all? if so, a dark new black roof would really make everything stand out.

the house is already gorgeous, but with fresh paint on the trim, and new roof shingles, it would look better.

then maybe, a change of door color as some people mentioned or tweaking of columns , pathway, landscaping etc.
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm going to ck. Into a putty color & see what my options are w/ the door company. We're not ready for a roof yet but, I'll keep this info. For when it's time. Thank you!!! I appreciate all the help I can get.
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Although we had another flood a week ago like the one in August - We have made some progress on the exterior of our home.

I'll post some before & after pic's

Front door before & after & I ordered 2 wreaths like this from Etsy size 24"
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Gate - before & after. I ordered this lantern from Neiman Marcus to replace the metal lights
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Fake shutter - before & after
    Old Masters Gel Stain -American Walnut was used on everything that was stained
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Roll up garage door & new fiberglass stained door before & after

Painted roll up door - before & after pained

Fiberglass door - before & after - primed w/ pink, then pained w/ a caramel paint, then stained. Also, ordered this wreath from Etsy w/ a plain tan burlap bow & sealed due to being in the weather
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    More pics... also ordered the lanterns to go on each side of roll up garage door.
  • marrymaid
    6 years ago
    Well done, Jenna. Everything really look great.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

It looks very nice Jenna. Great choices!

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank y'all so much!!! I'm happy w/ the outcome.
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It was a very hard decision to get the fiberglass door as I love the look of wood but, I knew it would not last. I ABSOLUTELY love the door! I'm sure my neighbors thought I had lost my mind when they saw that it was pink! Haha
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lantern is hung
  • PRO
    City & Estate Gardener
    6 years ago

In the pictures, I can see that the trees don't have any leaves on them. Also, you mentioned power washing and it looks like shrubs were cut back. So the house might look different during the the growing season. With that said, I would recommend adding plants to soften the exterior and create curb appeal. Consider some evergreen shrubbery. And your pool patio would look awesome with container flower planters!

container gardens · More Info

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

The door is beautiful and the lantern is well proportioned for it. It looks great!

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you City & State Gardner. The pic's were taken in the winter & my husband cut everything back. It's all starting to grow some but, we've had lots of rain so, after the painting & new door - we haven't done much. I absolutely love the picture you posted!! Beautiful plants!!! I have a few by my pool now but, waiting for pretty weather to finish - plants make everything look so pretty!!! Thank you for sharing!!!
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @ Katinparadise... thank you!!! I was scared the lantern wouldn't look good as we could only put it above the brick soldiers but, I think it worked out ok. It looks way better then what I had! I'm pleased w/ the outcome! Thank you again.
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

You're welcome Jenna. No better feeling than a completed project with a happy outcome!