mjsilvas85

Living room dilemma! Help me start!

MJ Silvas
11 years ago
I just recently moved into a new home. I need assistance in floor plans, color furniture and decor ideas. I plan on keeping walls, fireplace, and floor color as is. Open to any suggestions :)

Comments (145)

• MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you, for your feedback erinsean...
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Ok..I love the couches!! Now..some color is needed on the floor!! Do you want a more neutral looking floor...ie : a solid color like a fluffy shag neutral tone..or some pattern/color?
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Color???
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    A few pics
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Sorry pics r sort of small...wanted to show one more neutral rug and one more colorful so u could see the different looks.
  • jansgirl
    10 years ago
    Love the couches you chose. Please at this point...concentrate on finding a rug you like. It's easier to blend art/ fabrics etc to a rug instead of the other way around. You mention grey, turquoise and yellow. So start there. I'm just trying to figure out your style--any of the attacheded grab you? This could help guide us and get some samples from folks on here.
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jayme Hobbs, 1st pic you posted I posted earlier... I rather go with color thou. Not loud thou... Thanks!
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    OK...there r lots of options...If you want color in the rug..I suggest doing more browsing on Houzz...go under search rooms.."living room" and type in search box "contemporary"...because many transitional styles r under contemporary...find your look, ask us for input..and many people will chime in.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    So u prob. are into more muted tones for the rug...Some color but not loud ones?
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Omg!!!! Your right, I love the transitional style.... I'll get right on it!!! Thank you!
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    jansgirl, I like the last pic...
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So many rugs to choose from...
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    more rugs
  • jansgirl
    10 years ago
    What about the gold geometric from Pier 1 you mentioned earlier? I love that!!
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have many more to look, I want to make sure I make right decision, I need to learn to photoshop....
  • asilvas1
    10 years ago
    I love the goldish carpet. What did you end up going with?
  • PRO
    Empress of The Eye Pillow Collections
    10 years ago
    I think that you might find something in my one of a kind pillow collections..

https://www.etsy.com/shop/janeschott
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I need help on rug, drapes, decor.. Please!
  • MG Mack
    10 years ago
    Some would suggest against the TV above the fireplace...eye level is often the rule of thumb to avoid neck problems. :) I'm keeping you in mind regarding rugs and décor! I like the blues and greens!
  • PRO
    Persian Crafts
    10 years ago
    Dear
    I am Faezeh from Persian handicrafts exporting co. I am glad to introduce you my company as a great manufacturer of hand woven Persian rugs and machine made Persian rugs since 1950.The rugs are in exclusive designs and various sizes. Please email me at: thepersiancrafts@gmail.com so we can mail you our catalogs.
    This is my phone number:00989362907695
    Special offers for all of our rugs and carpets:
    1. Free delivery to your home or anywhere you like in 7 days.
    2. The quality of rugs is guaranteed.
    3. The rugs are returnable for 1 month.
    4. All of the rugs are made out of the natural materials: herbal dying( Only handmade rugs)
    5. No machine has been used in none of steps of producing the rug (Only handmade rugs).
    6. Each rug has its own design and is woven only once, So each one is a unique (Only handmade rugs).
    7. Machine made rugs can be supplied in different quantities and sizes.
    Waiting for more cooperation
    B. Regards
    Faezeh Nasiri(Sales manager)
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    You should reconsider your decision to wait on the rug. It is always the item I purchase first. It determines everything.
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does this rug clash?! Getting turquoise & mustard gold throw pillows..
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    I like it
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Still looking for a reasonable rug, drapes and light fixture....
  • kgrad
    10 years ago
    So many rugs to consider and so many of them are great! I love the persian rugs but I think you want to be more contemporary, even though they are a classic. I love the rug you recently posted, on my screen it does not clash - it's darker so it stands out and it's contemporary and bold but not too overwhelming - nicely contrasts. Great job at moving things forward!
  • Chume Bertrand
    10 years ago
    My living room got destroyed because the water pipe broke due to the cold weather three weeks ago. The original color was sage green and it was done in the late 1990s. I am in the process of fixing the floor and drywall back, but would like to change color scheme this time around. The area rug is not salvageable. So I am looking into changing color, new rug and new shade. Love to keep my furnitures though.
  • Chume Bertrand
    10 years ago
    These photos are the damage one
  • Chume Bertrand
    10 years ago
    And suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thank you. I am still numb from looking at the pictures.
  • imjustadream
    10 years ago
    Try a cappuccino brown and teal. A brown leather couch (you can find a good one on craigslist).
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    Go to our website to look at rugs...even if you don't find the exact one you love, it helps to be able to see the different patterns in a room setting. Really cool feature on our site! I think something with a neutral colors and a subtle pattern would be great.

For drapes...I think something with a chunky pleat and grommets would look awesome, maybe even in white on a dark curtain rod...or a subtle pattern here too. Love the idea of a console table...or buffet piece (either with lamps!) on the long back wall...and a gallery wall above it OR a mirror and wall sconces above.
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    rugs. sorry forgot link!! www.timelessinteriorstx.com
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    Woops...my comments above were meant for your dining room! sorry...getting confused on discussions!
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Timeless Interiors, the 3rd inspiration pic is a Hooker buffet and I like the console but didn't purchase it at Dillards, the height was too high to set behind couch, anyway a couple of days ago I was eyeing on it on Joss & Main it's prettier in person, really thinking about purchasing it to set in dining area... Ty
  • Missie
    10 years ago
    Mjsilvas85 how are the couches holding up? I've been eyeing the Alton for months, are they comfortable? Cushions holding their shape?
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Missie I love my Alton couch/loveseat, from Pier1 Imports, very comfy.... Thank you!!!
  • bears72
    10 years ago
    I love the turg throw that was in the first picture showing the Alton couch. It would go nicely and tie in the colour of your stools
  • jgmiller000
    9 years ago
    Mjsilvas85. Did you purchase two Alton loveseats, or, one loveseat and one sofa? I love the Alton and am trying to decide which size. My living room is long and narrow, so was thinking one loveseat and two chairs, but I like what you have done! Everything is lovely!
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @jgmiller000 I purchased sofa & love seat.. My interior designer wanted to do 2 chairs across couch if we decided not to set flatscreen above fireplace.. Not much has change still a working progress.. I love Pier 1 Imports.
  • jgmiller000
    9 years ago
    Thank you! Good luck with everything!
  • Craig CraigMDesigns
    9 years ago
    Be sure to include your barstools color and texture when choosing the rugs and curtains. Pine wood credenza or tables would give you a strong "natural" base to add colors too. Find your rug and curtains next! They are the next biggest things in the room.
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Craig CraigMDesigns Thank You! I will take your advice...
  • 2310fdr
    9 years ago

mjsilvas85 How has the Alton sofa held up after 2 years? Thinking of buying it in the Tan color, but worried about the cushions holding shape. How is the upholstery? Any regrets? Thanks!

• MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @elplott its held up just fine, it is just myself and my husband, and my 24 yr old daughter moved once she graduated from school.. Not too much traffic, in Easter I found its 1st stain and just used a lil Dawn and it disappeared. We had an Easter egg hunt so lots of family around .. Last weekend I was at Pier 1 Imports and noticed a customer eyeing on it (Alton couch ) and I praise how happy I'm was with ours. My cushions has held up fine every now and then my hubs slouches on it so I just reshape cushion and goes back in shapes. I have No regrets..
  • 2310fdr
    9 years ago

That's great to hear. Only in this home for 1-2 years and need a couch but don't want to invest in something that may or may not move with us. Looks like Alton is perfect for now. Thanks for the quick response, mjsilvas85.

• Dalette Rushlow
    7 years ago

I am just buying the Alton chair and ottoman can you share how the couch has held up..Do the cushions stay pretty firm after a few years.Did it ever squeak early on..thank you .Dale

• MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @Dalette Rushlow I had no problems what so ever, we are a family of 3.. Love them ❤️
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's a recent pic..
  • MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Better pic, I've been here 3 years so I've had them about that long..
  • Dalette Rushlow
    7 years ago

Thank you ..How kind you are..

• MJ Silvas
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Which Entertainment center would better coordinate in my living room area?!