fayebartfaye

Need help with future bathroom!

fayebartfaye
7 years ago
Moving bathroom upstairs and have a very blank canvas to work with! I'm struggling with the layout as its difficult to picture. Its rather small in space however I'd love a separate bath and shower. I have marked out on the floor where I Invision a small bath going with a shower next to it on the wall by the window. although I don't know if this would be possible?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Ps. Very sorry about the poor quality of floor plan!!

Comments (22)

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    I agree with louise- put your bath in front of the window, a shower behind the door. The wc between the shower and bath and the basin on the opposite wall.
    You might also hang the door the opposite way
  • Related Discussions

Need help in designing my small bath room . I need a bath tub ,toilet , and wash basin.

Q

Comments (3)
    Something like this may work. Note the changed door positions so that anyone in the bedrooms can visit the bathroom without disturbing anyone else in the lounge !
    ...See More

need help for my bathroom

Q

Comments (7)
    I did a house with nine bathrooms and it was so much fun. For the master bed we had his and hers separate ensuite bathrooms, so hers was feminine and victoruan; it even had a chandelier! His was white with a red shower wall and a blue and white border tile. The counter was tiled with red. It was a very cheerful little bathroom. The daughter's batH was blue and white, the border tiles and washbasin were Chinese themed. A very pretty bathroom. The two guest bathrooms were yellow and cream with hand painted sunflower accent tiles. One powder room was yellow and white, the other was beige with orange and green accents. It had a very whimsical washbasin with a hand painted frog inside. The pool house also has two bathrooms, more basic, mostly cream with wood accents. The colour comes from the stack of towels, red, blue, orange, lime green and yellow.
    ...See More

Need Help for My Bathroom

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for good question.I would like to say for your bathroom remodeling you should take advice from certified company as they have good professionals who can give your best suggestion for your needs in within your bucks. Nice sharing.
    ...See More

need help to renovate home it has 5 room 3 bathroom 2 kitchen 1 Living

Q

Comments (1)
    Send the measurement layout and the requirement details and we can work accordingly.
    ...See More
  • Ellie Stretch
    7 years ago

agree that a free standing bath in alignment with the window would look great!

• fayebartfaye
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I love the idea of having the bath under the window. That's what I wanted ideally however need the toilet to be by the external wall for the pipes!
  • louisecampbell09
    7 years ago
    I've just Googled that problem and it is possible they say, to have a toilet on an internal wall. Option 2...like Jonathon says, turn the door to open the other way and put bath on right hand wall, toilet under the window on external wall, with sink on left wall maybe (or next to loo) and shower cublicle left of the door...?
  • louisecampbell09
    7 years ago
    and replace/ move radiator to a heated towel rail
  • PRO
    P.I. Maintenance
    7 years ago

Unless you want to convert to a macerator; your toilet position will be your biggest problem as a 4 inch pipe cannot easily go under the floor and looks even worse crossing a small bathroom wall. Find out where the soil pipe is externally and work from your toilet position- to get possible positions for the other items. Secondly, remember that most shower waste pipes will run under the floor, so that will also dictate where things can or cannot go. Do you have plans of the drainage/ soil pipes etc?

• tessaway
    7 years ago
    Would you consider a shower over the bath. Saves a lot of space and is very workable. Put a glass shower screen along the bath. Ours works well and looks good.
  • Joanna C
    7 years ago
    Looking at the room dimensions, I think it'd be an extreme squeeze trying to fit everything in and you'd probably end up with a tiny, awkward shower, a very small bath and probably a tiny washbasin too... If I were you, I'd do a nice big bath with shower over ( a proper separate shower as per the pic). That way you'd prolly have room left for a comfortable washbasin with a vanity and ample storage underneath making it a more comfortable bathroom overall.
  • User
    7 years ago

Your window is quite large - if you resized it you would have more wall space for maybe a walk-in shower. We did that with ours, it didn't cost very much and has made such a difference to our room. We also rehung the door to open outwards, and went for a wall hung WC and vanity unit - makes the room look bigger!

• whizzywig
    7 years ago
    Hi, this will be a great bathroom: I see a few options for you.

If you're determined for separate bath & shower I'd look at a smaller (1500mm) freestanding tub with a 'wetroom' shower beside it along that wall behind the door. Take a look at the tileable shower trays that sit flush with the floor. This way the tub and shower could share a shower valve and handset. The WC could sit under the window (if that's high enough) and a slim depth basin with cabinet underneath on the right as you walk in.

Another option is obviously to go for a full size bath with a shower overhead. It looks like you have enough room behind the door to get quite a wide bath in there. A good shower screen is vital though and I can recommend the Simpsons Design dual inward folding screen - this folds in flat against the wall so doesn't get in the way if you're having a bath. Also Simpsons/Crosswater are starting their mega sale on 24th September (Saturday) so don't buy til then!

If you're looking for slim basin/cabinets try Roper Rhodes and their sub-brand R2. Great value. They also do great mirrors with charging sockets etc.

My personal top tip would be make sure you get a closed back wc, (easy clean) and if you have a slim depth basin don't have a mirror cabinet, just a mirror, above (stops head clashes).

And finally the bath under the window option, which is do-able if you can exit the wc waste out of the side wall rather than out of the wall where the window is. Just make sure the gap between the bath and shower enclosure is min 700mm. I've shown it with a quadrant enclosure which will give you a bit more space in the room.

Hope that helps! I've roughly sketched the three options which might explain my thinking..
  • PRO
    WRKBNCH
    7 years ago

where is the waste pipe? If you need to run the pipe from the window to the other side of the wall it will require to make a step which doesn't look nice.

• Gatos Rojos
    7 years ago
    Your room is about the same size as my bathroom. When I recently refurbished, I really wanted a bidet and spent hours on different floor plans etc. In the end, although possible, I decided it would all look too cramped. I finally decided on a big walk in shower on the end wall (you could go for a big bath and maybe resize the window as previously suggested), a toilet behind the door on the external wall and a sink next to it. I do miss not having a bidet but on balance I think the extra space is better than having everything crammed in and I'm happy with my decision. Good luck with your refurb!
  • Kevin Sclater
    7 years ago

How about a vanaty unit for the basin and toilet on the internal wall on the right, the unit would conceal the pipework. Towel rail or radiator between that and the door. On the opposite wall put a slightly shorter than standatd bath (1600) with the short edge against the window wall and a 700x700 shower at the end of it. Build and tile / aqua panel a full heigh partition between the shower and bath and fit a single door rather than an enclosure. Have the entrance door opening the opposite way, this should make the most of your floor space and avoid it looking too cramped. Apoligies for the child like drawing, but you get the idea!

• domino963
    7 years ago

This is a picture of my nearly completed bathroom which is almost exactly the same size as yours (I have an alcove that makes mine slightly bigger)
    , but with the window on the side wall not the rear wall. To the left, just inside the door is an offset quadrant shower enclosure. You can just about see the wall mounted basin to the right. The door opens the other way to yours and the towel rail fits neatly behind it. I was worried that getting a shower and a bath in the same room would make it feel cramped, but it doesn't. Using a wall mounted toilet and basin also gives the illusion of more floor space.

• Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    Was just about to comment that the amount of ingenuity required to shoehorn everything in should be enough to convince that it wasn't a good idea. Domino963's fabulous plan and photo have persuaded me to keep my trap shut!
  • PRO
    Aston Matthews
    7 years ago

If you fancy a traditional look this layout is in a similar size bathroom, the shower cubicle is just to the left of the photo. Products are all from Aston Matthews including a reduced length cast iron bath and the Carlton WC and basin.

• PRO
    Marc Oliver Bathrooms
    7 years ago

Maybe have a think about what is most important to you in a bathroom. If you can manage with a shorter bath, maybe 1.6mtrs, you could get that down the left hand wall from the window wall and put the shower behind the door, would need to know what that measure is to design it properly, then you would be able to put basin & WC on window wall.

This would open up the space as you walk into the room and could be used for drying etc.

Downside would be that you couldn't have a wall fixed mirror over the basin, but you could put a freestanding mirror in the window recess instead.

If you send me the rest of the room dimensions I will draw it for you

Vicky

• fayebartfaye
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    oh wow, thank you all so much for your opinions!! It's really given me some food for thought !! I've decided to go with the bath and shower on the wall to the left - I've gone for a smaller bath so I can fit in a walk in shower as I only really have showers anyway! The toilet and sink will be on the wall facing, I'm so happy to have been able to fit it all in. Ideally I would have loved the bath behind the door or under the window but it wouldn't have worked very well due to the size of the window. Its not in our budget to get the window resized unfortunately. I'm very happy with the plan we've gone for though and can't wait for the end result!! thanks again to everyone for taking the time to help me out with this!!
  • roguesin
    7 years ago

Can i suggest you change the swing of the door to open onto your landing or go for a rail type door on the outside that opens on the landing this will also create a nice feature.... this will eradicate a lot of issues relating to layout

• PRO
    William Holland Ltd
    7 years ago

It seems like there are plenty of options available to you. I agree with everyone that you need to decide what is most important to you first and then work from there. There is a wide range of freestanding baths available nowadays that allow ample space for overhead showers, or alternatively there are some gorgeous roll top baths with very petite footprints that would free up the space for a separate walk in shower if required, varying from 1500mm to 2000mm in length. Also, although it may not have been your first thought it is worth considering metallics, as they can really maximise the light in a room and create an increased sense of space

• PRO
    Smart Showers Ltd
    7 years ago

Loving all these ideas! Do you know what type or style of shower you want to go for? There are so many options nowadays, Would you like wall-mounted or flushed ceiling, for example? Here are some ideas:

This is the Sunshine shower head, a stainless steel disc Ø 350 mm with one ABS disc within that is fitted to the ceiling, complete with water guide system and optional white light therapy, massage or atomiser jets.

Or, if you would prefer a shower column, this is the Vehla MySlim Ambiente - the shower column is constructed in brass, with fixed shower holder and integrated progressive valve. 3 mm ultra-slim shower head, non-liming, inspectable and serviceable. One jet handshower in brass, non-liming, inspectable and serviceable, with smooth 150 cm anti-twist PVC flexible hose.

You can check out more of our shower heads and columns here.

Let me know if you'd like more info!

Maxine, Smart Showers Ltd