babophz

Shall I go over to the dark side?

babophz
7 years ago

This bookcase in my library/study is due to be painted and I have to pick a colour. I'm considering going very dark, off-black or charcoal. The walls, ceiling and all the woodwork are white, the floor is whitewashed oak. What do you think?

Opposite wall:

Comments (204)

• ladma
    7 years ago
    Babophz, I do love your wall of books, though. But, how do you dust them? They would be arranged alphabetically at my house, I told you I'm a library girl!
    Having fun, the outlander series is amazing. It has time travel, historical fiction, love, sex, action adventure, all in one. The Starz adaptation is good, but the books are so much better!
    babophz thanked ladma
  • susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Maybe we need a book group thread with book suggestions ... or a "what are you reading now?" list (I just finished Henna House by Nomi Eve and just started Ordinary Grace by Willian Kent Krueger, and I also have been reading short stories - The Unamericans by Molly Antopol).

I don't reread often, but I do like to keep books to be reminded of the ones I've loved, and to have them on hand to lend to family and friends if I think they were that fabulous.

babophz thanked susanalanandwrigley
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen may get too dark!

Q

Comments (1)
    Try a light grey. I wouldn't go beige with the yellow. Dark wood looks great with grey walls. Yellows and brown also work well with grey. So pick a light grey and good luck.
    ...See More

Dark marble kitchen countertop

Q

Comments (12)
    I think the marble naysayers have jumped on the bandwagon without really living with the stone. I have statuary in my bathrooms and love it. Most stains can be removed with a simple baking soda and water poultice. Acid etching is harder to deal with since it removes the polished surface, but its part of having a living stone in your home. If it becomes too bad, you can have it repolished. With a darker stone, you won't have as many issues as a white marble. In order to really know if you can live with it, I suggest you get a small sample of the stone and do some tests. Here is an example. http://www.dohiy.com/2013/04/21/marble-countertops-the-post-acid-test/ Please note that she used bleach and oxyclean to clean the stone after her test. Stay away from both since they can etch the stone just as much as an acidic food. Instead, clean with a ph neutral cleaner like isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), and for heavy stains, the baking soda poultice mentioned above. You have to remember that marble has been used for centuries as flooring, table tops, countertops, etc. throughout the world and most of these installations are still here and aren't stained and etched to the point that it has been ripped out and replaced. Just think about all of he luxury hotels in Europe and how many times they have been exposed to Hangover type guests without any damage.
    ...See More

What colour furniture will go best with black curtains?

Q

Comments (2)
    A combination of Offwhite, Beige Upholstery and dark shades of wood would look good. Provided you keep the wood minimal . The floor can also be a similar shade of wood . Remember whatever you do, make it look rich and elegant, only then will you be able to pull this look off. I am assuming the your ceiling is considerably high as well. Paint the walls and ceiling in offwhite shades with only the feature wall grey
    ...See More

I am going to build a house in the hills on an upslope

Q

Comments (10)
    Dear Manveen, I would suggest you to put up some more information of your site as it will help professionals to understand and response. A few things are like- -Location -Site Area -Site Layout -a few photographs of site and surroundings -List of your requirements like bedrooms etc. Regards, Ar. Ravi Prakash
    ...See More
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

heck i should have kept them just to remember them all. i read 5 + week til my cancer. now 1 if i am lucky.

babophz thanked havingfun
  • susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

havingfun that is what I love about my nook - I can look up what I've read easily! Even if it's a borrowed e-book from the library that has expired, the title still shows on my device. Sorry about your cancer, I know chemo and illness in general can do a number on concentration.

• babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

susan, it seems like we ARE having a book group thread ;-) What fun!

less, I borrowed Margeret Atwood's 'The Blind Assassin' from a friend today, looking forward to reading it.

• stryker
    7 years ago

I'm going to have to check out some of these authors and titles!

babophz thanked stryker
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    7 years ago

I re-read a LOT of my fiction books (mostly Science Fiction). I started to list all the series that I've read more than 4 times, but even that was a long list. If I had to pick one series, probably David Brin's Uplift novels are my favorites. In fact, I've enjoyed almost anything he's written OTHER than The Postman.

babophz thanked Lynne Mysliwiec
  • susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

I'm not so much a sci fi girl, but I did love Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow and its sequel Children of God.

• babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

David Brin is in my bookcase, but those books are my husband's. I like to read historical fiction and fantasy, but also more serious literature. This year's favourite so far is probably Jonathan Franzen's "Purity".

edit: I was also blown away by Kate Atkinson's 'Life after Life'. drdeb, I saw K.A. in your bookcase!

• drdeb1234
    7 years ago

Oh babophz, you're a KA fan too?? She's my favourite author. I'm currently (very slowly somehow, lots of distractions) reading "A God in Ruins". She writes sublimely.

babophz thanked drdeb1234
  • lessismoore
    7 years ago

Atwood is a wonderful anomaly. Her more noted novels combine sci-fi-esque (she doesn't consider her writing true sci-fi) with literary fiction. Loved Oryx and Crake, but what I've scored are some way less sci-fi, lesser known goodies (Edible Woman, Surfacing ...). Anne Patchet comes to mind. Sue Miller, Love Alice Munroe ... yes, we could go on and on.

babophz thanked lessismoore
  • lessismoore
    7 years ago

I'm crushing hard on Jonathan Frazier. So now I have to search out some others!!!

• Emily
    7 years ago

love that this has turned into a book thread:)

A couple of my favorite authors / books - Cormac McCarthy (The Road was a gorgeous book), Stephen King (started reading him as a young teenager, but more recently really enjoyed Under the Dome), and also Wally Lamb (She's Come Undone and I Know This Much Is True).

babophz thanked Emily
  • Rina
    7 years ago

Having, I did my MA dissertation on Tolkien -- LoR. I still have all the books from doing that in the '70s.-- going back to Beowulf and Gilgamesh. Yes, a bit of a shrine. Among recent favourites, Alice Hoffman's The Red Garden. I like crime fiction, have only just started exploring Minette Walters. I read a lot of non-fiction. But all the latter from the library, the budget doesn't allow for book buying any more. Lousy memory makes it hard to list many recent favourites. I keep promising myself a decent booklist but never get around ot it.

babophz thanked Rina
  • Rina
    7 years ago

PS Douglas Adams -- few people have made me laugh as he did. Heaven bless him. He was the man who said he loved deadlines. "I love the whistling sound they make as they go by."

Spike Milligan did it too with Puckoon, I must say. I read the whole (quite short) book aloud to hubby (before we were actually married, but we were shacked up in a one-room apartment in central Joburg, so it could go long into the night). I also read him Tolkien's story "Leaf" out loud. He thought I was screwy until I read that -- he was no reader -- and then he said yes, he got it. He never did get the need to do a whole durn degree on the subject, though.

babophz thanked Rina
  • Rina
    7 years ago

I inherited a whole D Adams collection in one volume from a beloved friend. The print is so small I can only tackle it with a magnifying glass. Whimper.

My gas heater is running out of gas. Falls back, clutches throat. It's winter here, you understand.

babophz thanked Rina
  • creative6938
    7 years ago

A dark color is a great idea. It would balance the room to have all of the shelves be a dark color, while the walls are white. I would also recommend maybe a salmon colored rug. I think it would complement your blue chairs well.

By the way, very cute home!

babophz thanked creative6938
  • Rina
    7 years ago

Ja, I'm fine. Wearing my woolly gown (ummm, robe) over my winter clothes.

babophz thanked Rina
  • Rina
    7 years ago

Oh, I like the idea of salmon. If you don't want a rug, in some other way. There's a lot of salmonish colour in the bookcase.

babophz thanked Rina
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

ok so when we go to the dark side can we continue a patch of darkest blue on the ceiling and put a few stars up there? i know, 59 and can still harbor those childish dreams.

darn i have to go. but real quik, non fiction douglas adams last chance to see- nothing like the show. funniest serious non fic ever.

koontz' newest series, odd thomas, no more true horror of old. good for me. can no longer enjoy king since hospital experience - true king becomes real stuff.

most amazing recent book - the art thief. aaron somebody red cover. to top it off author knows he is all that and acts it! only book i ever read where i could not explain the end! i got it, but trying to explain it? a whole nother can of worms.

• havingfun
    7 years ago

great stories for couples to read aloud, oh geesh, original author of ali baba and 40 thieves, must get adult version. stupid stupid brain.

• babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, what a wealth of book knowledge in this thread! Wonderful, people!

emily, susan, Lynne, havingfun: thanks for sharing these names and titles. I feel like stryker, I have to check them out :)

Rina, Tolkien is one of my all time favourites, must have been fun to write your thesis about his work and to read all his inspirational works.

less, try David Mitchell. Talking about anomalies... Also very weird and very good: Eleanor Catton's 'The Luminaries'.

• babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

creative6938, thank your for your encouragement. I am still very much in doubt. :)

• Lynne Mysliwiec
    7 years ago

My favorite thing about Douglas Adams was his anti-similes "The Vogon constructor fleet hung in the air just in the same way that bricks don't"

Tells you nothing about how they hung in the air, really.
    Also his "The Nutri-matic machine dispensed a beverage that was almost, but not entirely, unlike tea"

Favorite fantasy collection - David and Leigh Eddings -- the 5 books of the Belgariad and the 5 books of the Malloreon. I wanted one of the second series as a birthday orChristmas present & my dad was charged with shopping duty. He recounted his discomfort at having to ask whether the store had "Demon Lord of Karanda" in stock.

babophz thanked Lynne Mysliwiec
  • babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lynne, funny story! And funny Douglas Adams. Who is also in our collection, but again, my husband's :)

I guess the beverage was a little bit like tea?

• PRO
    babophz thanked The Joshua Tree Vanities
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

ok now you see purem, here you have to go and toss something else in, if i were wanting something i would want to imagine being, it would be

9 Links Way · More Info

Rope Bridge Wall Mural · More Info

Poliform · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

well not sitting on the toilet but....

• PRO
    Boyce Lumber & Design Center
    7 years ago

When I grow up, I want your bookshelves.
    Whether you paint them or not, they're art because of every book placed in them. Fabulous! Plus...shamelessly jealous!

babophz thanked Boyce Lumber & Design Center
  • havingfun
    7 years ago

susan, i do not wish to go deep but as most know, pretty rough as a kid. books were my thing. i tried the nook, but it did not have teddy bear security blanket feel and smell i think. you know been trying to think of what it was and that is it. it does not want to be held the same, no caressing or smoothing, does not hold tears well either, it just is not the same,, though it seems convenient. one thing i don't know if i can do or who to give to. you can no longer find the minor classics,like water babies at the library. nor the classic scifi writers, nor the stories from other countries. the raven tales from the one tribe. i read stories from around the world. people like us, we should start a library museum of these classics they keep tossing. and you know there D. Adams nor anyone else will ever become classic cause they don't sit long enough. they are gone in a few years. only the ivory towers choose the classics some deserve it, some? not so much.

• babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

lademers, your comment only just showed up. I dust my books one shelf at the time. In our previous house it collected a lot more dust than in this house, so I don't have to do it very often.

• babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

havingfun, I believe Douglas Adams is considered a classic. Also I have noted that a lot of fantasy is studied in the humanities departments of contemporary universities. The ivory towers are not stuck in the past per se. :)

Boyce Lumber, thank you for your nice comment!

• babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

puremichigan, thank you for your input. I have to say, muted orange is really not my colour. Nor is salmon, which was mentioned by others. Sorry! ;-)

• babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

nmp19, I've only now discovered your comment from Monday! It wasn't there on Monday, of that I'm sure. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share your insights. I will weed out my books, but, I will keep most of them because they will be read again. My daughter is 14 and a voracious reader, she's into Young Adult at the moment, but in just a few years she will attack her parents' library, no doubt. :)

• Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    Well I've had my coffee and have decided I love the bookcases dark, me being me I'd probably paint the opposite wall dark too
    babophz thanked Irene Morresey
  • babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

blenheim, painting the opposite wall dark is something I hadn't thought of! It's a very good idea, though scary: that wall is much wider and more open to the rest of the floor, so it would have much more impact. I will consider it, though, as it would solve issues with scale and balance. Thanks! :)

• Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    Love the lighting with the books. Looks amazing
    babophz thanked Irene Morresey
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

I painted my bedroom Valspar's Urban Pulse - deep charcoal that looks brown and sometimes almost purple. Love it! I did it as a background for art; would work equally well for books. Go to the dark side - all over! It will be warm and intimate and library feeling!

babophz thanked decoenthusiaste
  • lessismoore
    7 years ago

Havingfun; I still have my "Journey's Through Bookland." Probably the most beautiful books I own. And remember "Tom, the Water Baby" and the wonderful illustrations well.

• havingfun
    7 years ago

i can not wait to see it babo

• PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    7 years ago

white is likely to reflect light more effectively.

babophz thanked Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
  • Karen P
    7 years ago
    Hi babophz! I've caught up on your dilemma and was wondering if you ever painted the bookshelves. ?
    babophz thanked Karen P
  • babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Karen! Nice to see you here :) The bookcase hasn't been painted yet - my painter is very popular - but I have decided against going dark. I wanted to be sure of the effect, so I bought some brown/black wrapping paper and stuck it on the side panels and top shelves. It was oppressive! So it'll be lighter, not quite certain what shade it's going to be though.

Happy New Year, everybody!!!

• Rina
    7 years ago

Hi Babophz. Nice to see you again. Please post when you have it painted.

This was such a lovely thread.

babophz thanked Rina
  • babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Rina! The notification came in and I was wondering who was awake at this time of the day, but of course you and I are roughly in the same time zone. I will post pics when the painting is done. It will be next year, I'm afraid ;-)

• Mark
    7 years ago

Good choice not going dark on the bookcases. :) Happy New Year Babophz !

babophz thanked Mark
  • babophz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Mark, thanks! 2016 hasn't been easy, but let us not give up hope. Cheers!

• lessismoore
    7 years ago

I've laid in a decadent dinner and hope to see a comet tonight, hopefully, ringing in a better year from the comforts of home. I've just finished the Napoliatano Novels from Elena Ferrante. What a different read that was but very absorbing.

• lawsonch19
    7 years ago

Love a home filled with books! I especially like the black bookcases. Happy New Year!

babophz thanked lawsonch19
  • Ann
    7 years ago

Happy New Year Babophz!

babophz thanked Ann