annestuartwrites

Master Bath Tile Help

annestuartwrites
8 years ago

We are rebuilding our home and I'm now in the process of designing the master bath. The master bath has an outdoor shower that flows from our outdoor deck with an indoor shower beside it. The deck has a tile pattern we copied from a resort we visited in Mexico. It's 12X12 cross cut travertine with Mexican beach pebble details. 2 rows tile, one stripe of pebble, repeat. It is the pattern around out pool deck which we are keeping from the original house.

My plan had been to take this tile pattern into the floor of the master bathroom in 12x, and have the shower floors be all pebble, and the showers to have travertine slab walls. We have 2 problems with this. Travertine has proven to be VERY slippery around the pool deck and my husband is concerned about safety in the bathroom, and the slab is cost prohibitive. So for the floor the solution we came up with is to do pebble every row of tile instead of every other row to provide more grout and places for feet to grip. The walls are a whole other dilemma. The contractor is telling me it's a bad idea to do the walls in this material from a maintenance perspective. Really? We have it on the ground outside so why would the shower walls be a problem? I can't afford slab so what size tile do I do in the shower? 18X24? 18x18? Something else? Or do I ditch the travertine on the walls and go with something else? What the heck would that be? Help! The idea is rustic meets modern mexico resort. We have exposed beams but modern fixtures for example.

Comments (8)