miguelangelr

Guy's Apartment / Bachelor Pad

Miguel Rios
11 years ago
Can someone help me find decorating ideas for my single male apartment anywhere from color of walls (i'm thinking something dark colored not sure though) to artwork and random items that say I am a straight man with taste

Comments (59)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You'd be doing yourself a favor, I think, by leaving those pieces of furniture behind. They are way out of date and certainly not bachelor pad material. We aren't using end tables so much anymore, and the coffee table will NOT go with the look I think you want.

On the other hand, I love the sleek coffee table in the photo with the black sofa. Wood tones are more or less considered neutrals and go with any color of sofa and chairs. There are things on which to spend money and things on which to save money. Here's a chrome office lamp I've used in $3 million dollar homes and in vacation condos. It costs $29.99 at Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80146777/#/60146764

So don't discount Ikea as a place to shop for lamps, rugs, and artwork. They have wonderful things...even in bedroom chests, such as the one below. I suggest you buy two of these to use as night stands. With 4 drawers, you won't need too much more clothing storage besides your closet. That will leave more money for your living room. However, if you want to spend some money on a bed, I love the Portica bed from Room & Board, below. Put a couple of those Ikea Forsa lamps on the Ikea night stands, and with this bed, you'd have a super looking bedroom.

For your living room, you'll need a sofa. Look for one with narrow arms, 84 to 90" long and no more than 39" deep. That should fit in most apartments when you make your next move. More later...

ENGAN Chest with 2 Drawers · More Info
    Portica Canopy Bed · More Info
  • hollybar
    11 years ago
    I would refrain from buying anything large until you know where you will land. Dallas rentals vs. Boston or Bay area spaces are likely going to be quite different.
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carolyn Thank for the help, and also thanks Marie for the ideas with the room. I do think since I am just starting out I will have to begin with 1 room at a time. I do have a head board for my bedroom and I do not think I can afford to start with nothing right now. I do enjoy the ideas of furniture for the bedroom as well since I am contemplating continuing with that room after the living room.

My first goal is to start with the couches. So far I think, based on all the ideas here, I have gotten suggestions that extend from getting something leather (either the sofa or two separate chairs), to not go with a lazy boy recliner type chair since i think it might take too much space. I also have gotten from you to be narrow in its arms and 84 to 90" long with no more than 39" deep. The rugs I really like the first rug to posted in your earlier post (Modern Rug Collection Miami) but I couldn't find it and I think they might be a bit pricey not sure though since I have never shopped for a rug before in my LIFE! lol

I like the engan chest drawers by IKEA, I am seriously considering those when I do move to refurnishing my bedroom. The portica canopy bed seemed not really my style I like beds that are lower I do not really use the space at the bottom and I like a big bed maybe queen not sure about a king. I was reading this article on GQ ( http://www.gq.com/how-to/rest-of-your-life/201303/best-mens-bedroom-interior-design?mbid=social_twitter_gqmagazine#slide=2) they mentioned to kinda of spend money on a good mattress which I do intend on that.

Before I move back to talking about the living room I want to say I for my bedroom I do have a lot of clothes I mostly hang my shirts (including tees) since I do like to fold them and have a creasing on them so I have seen on apartment therapy some people who make shelves and go crazy with their closet to accommodate everything, and add more hanging space somehow. I think if this is possible it would be something worth looking into. On a last note, I also find myself mostly using a dresser (not like the one I will taking in the meantime i am referring to the one with the mirror up above) the ones with only drawers they seem take less space, but I think I would like to have a desk inside my bedroom or maybe in the living room not sure yet (depends on which one has more space i think the living room will have since my bedroom seems smaller when I visited the apartments)

For the living room i think you mentioned it would be best to not take my furniture I took pictures of up above, unfortunately I think in the beginning I will have to have them just until I buy the rest of theliving room (tv, center console for all the media devices, lamps, sofas of course, and maybe the side chairs I have heard about from Interiors International, Inc.) I do intend on replacing everything in the end but I need to take it step by step as I have already mentioned before. I also would like to see if you, Carolyn, or anyone could help me with some ideas for the center console cabinet. BTW I have contemplated making a center console design of my own. I would want the design to look like the venice picture below (the long cabinet that hides everything but with a twist to have my electronics be as the second picture shows that they are racked and you can not see any of the back) this would more than likely take some time to build as I would need to grab a hold of a carpenter, but in the mean time I would still to buy a simple one like the first picture maybe with just shelves. Keep in mind I do intend on making one but I need first one to use in the mean time that resembles a design that fits the room so that when I build one (or simply modify the current one) it fits already with the room.

Carolyn I think you mentioned end tables arent used anymore. Then what are used instead of them. Is it now that living spaces look like the picture I posted above with the wooden coffee table and black or brown sofa with the sound picture hanged up above? (Also what do you about that picture that is actual hung up there? I kind of like it its called Resonant decor)

Sorry to rant I like your ideas a lot just want to put my input. I really appreciate you, Carolyn, and everyone who is taking time out of your day to help me out with my first home/apartment. THANK YOU ALL!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Holly is right that you shouldn't buy anything that won't fit in a small apartment which is what you would find in Boston and SF. But you obviously will need some furniture in Dallas. So you might want to avoid that large coffee table, and either buy a small version of it, or maybe even consider something with legs which would work better in a small apt. because it takes up less visual space. The one below from West Elm is leggy and offers storage plus a sometimes desktop. The second one is also from West Elm.
    Rustic Storage Coffee Table · More Info
    Origami Coffee Table | West Elm · More Info
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have actually seen that first coffee table you posted I did like the cabinet space a lot! I do think that since I love my media tech (receiver, big tv, speakers) that my center console should be a must buy or a must make if I find the right person and have the money for it. As for end tables what is used instead?
  • PRO
    HomeCheckDallas / Finderz Keeperz
    11 years ago
    Hey, Miguel, just found a few minutes to catch up with you -- congrats on the job and the plans for your own apt here in Dallas -- have some ideas for you and love helping out with first places/bachelor pads. I'm an Aggie Mom, too, so I have some experience at it, and I'm a great bargain-hunter.
    Will post some ideas for you later today, and then when you get to Dallas, maybe we could talk on the phone. Have a good day.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If you are wanting a couple of good looking black leather recliners, check out Macy's Pavia recliner which comes in black: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/pavia-club-recliner-chair?ID=281645
    I've never seen a recliner that is actually as good looking as a nice armchair, so if you can live without a recliner, you could consider a chair similar to the one below, in leather or fabric.

Then if your chairs are black leather, you could use a fabric on your sofa in gray. The first one below is what is called an apartment size sofa and is from Crate & Barrel and the second is from Room & Board. The apt size sofa is probably only 78" long. The R&B sofa comes in 3 different sizes.

Before you buy the sofa, it might be good for you to look online at apartments in the Bay area and Boston to see how big the living rooms are. That might help you decide if you may want to buy a sofa even smaller than 84".

Regarding end tables. I prefer to use floor lamps or sofa tables. Floor lamps would go at the side or behind a sofa. A sofa table goes behind a sofa to hold lamps, etc. Coffee tables hold drinks, etc.
    If I am using two chairs opposite a sofa, I would place a round (not square) table between them. If I am using a chair at each end of the sofa, then I would place a small drinks table beside each chair.
    Sometimes I will use one end table beside a sofa and place a table lamp on it, then at other end of sofa I'll place a floor lamp.

Look at Ikea for a media center to use until you can have a custom one made. They have some very nice looking ones.
    Everett Upholstered Chair · More Info
    Vaughn Apartment Sofa | Crate&Barrel · More Info
    Loring Sofas · More Info
  • Paul F.
    11 years ago
    Do not buy shiny leather anything... it looks cheap and scratches are there to stay. Matte leather looks so much better.
  • Amy Stanley
    11 years ago
    I am all about painting and reusing. Your bed frame and night stand can be easily painted out to black, swap the hardware on the night stand to a brushed nickel cup/bin pull this will stay with the style of the furniture but add so much. Using you furniture as a background try gray and black bedding in a more sleek style to give you that masculine look you are after.

For affordability purposes you can get black or chocolate leather looking pieces for your living room. Very easy to clean and can be so comfortable. Just keep them streamlined in size sometimes they get way to puffy or you could go with microfiber furniture in a deep khaki or gray, the microfiber is durable and less likely to get rips from little dog nails. If you go this route you can get black leather ottoman in place of a coffee table, use black as an accent color for tv stand and in your toss pillows and rug- this will give you extra storage too - I am trying to suggest on a budget ;)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I found a rug similar to the one you liked that I posted earlier. It's currently on sale for 20% off, with free shipping. http://www.rugstudio.com/loloi-viera-vr-04-grey-area-rug.aspx This is the website of an Austin company, with a bricks and mortar store called Oriental Rug Gallery. They may have one of these in stock if you want to come over to Austin for a looksee. I've used a rug from this series before and it is gorgeous!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Miguel, I highly suggest that you take a look at CB2 for furnishings that have a modern/industrial and youthful edge...basically one stop shopping for a tasteful bachelor apartment. Their prices are reasonable and they are currently promoting free shipping.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    Miguel....there is an IKEA in Frisco, TX and after reading your latest posts, I think you should def start there!!!!! Besides the fact that you can hardly go wrong there price-wise AND looks/style! Go get your basic pieces there and some accent pieces whenever you can afford it. The other thing that I will say, is that most of the IKEA furniture comes in boxes unassembled. You can also take them apart for a move easily if you liked them. AND one more thought....since there is an IKEA so near, you may want to check craigslist in the Dallas area too. I'll bet good money on it, that there are some ikea pieces on there for half the price. Just a thought. I also think that if you wanted to use your coffee table that you have now, just paint it. It will look totally different (fresh & new) in front of a new couch that is sleek in design.
    I am an artist, so I will also tell you to look around and go to some art events, street fests, a local college for student works.....anywhere there is art. Only buy pieces that you love. I'm sure there must be a lot of cool art in the Dallas area.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    p.s. once you see the entertainment units they have available at IKEA, you may not want to build one from scratch...they are pretty awesome and have so many different configurations for different audio/video equipment, you may just fall in love!!! And they also have great prices on rugs there as well. oh oh oh oh...lol.....AND YOU WILL NOT FIND a better deal on curtain panels either...look at the merete curtains, they are $25 for a pair and are extra long so that you can hang them from ceiling to floor. And they have your platform bed there as well. I'm telling ya, they have it all!
  • Amy Stanley
    11 years ago
    Ikea is a great idea they have some great affordable options for you!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Miguel, another tip, go with a 84" sofa no longer, quite often anything longer cannot get into an elevator. Good luck, sounds like your off to a good start!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Excellent advice from Susan!
  • PRO
    HomeCheckDallas / Finderz Keeperz
    11 years ago
    Hi, Miguel -- okay, had some time to think about your project -- here are some thoughts:
    1. First, you should probably find the apartment, before you make any decisions.
    2. I think you should bring with you what you can, so that you can live for a while -- you mentioned you have a headboard, but if you need to buy a mattress, that should probably be your first purchase. It's hard to get up and go to work if you've been sleeping on the floor!
    3. Start an ideabook -- either here on houzz or with pages torn out of magazines in a notebook you keep -- make notes of prices and stores and styles you really like.
    4. Because you plan to move again, don't buy anything that has just a single use or purpose. Think multi-use, multi-room functionality. A chest that would work either in the bedroom or the dining room. A table that could be used as a computer desk. A sofa table that could live in a hallway. A coffee table that also is a storage unit (as in one picture posted here). A group of cubes that could be a coffee table or pulled apart for extra seating. Get the idea?
    5. Choose a basic color scheme -- if it's black and grey, that's great -- then if everything you buy fits that scheme, it can all be moved from room to room in Dallas, or Boston, or Cleveland, and should all work for you for the next 10 years or so.
    6. Don't worry about the details, until you see the space you will be in -- then it will all come together.
    7. Make a budget -- and stick to it. Buying furniture and decorating takes time; but it's better to plan and find good things that you love and that will last than to buy things on impulse that you will wind up replacing or hating.
    8. Shopping can be fun. And finding bargains can be even more fun. And finding things at really low prices that might take a little work or redoing to make perfect can be really gratifying. If that is not your thing, however, plan to save your money and wait to find the perfect piece to buy at a price that is within your budget. Never settle for something that is not what you want.
    Now -- some off the wall random thoughts -- take whatever your mom and sister offer, whether it's a piece of furniture, or a rug, or a picture frame, or a tablecloth. Seriously, in the beginning, learn to love the things that other people give you. That is probably the best way to figure out what your personal style really is going to be.
    Visit all sorts of places, even if you don't think that's what your style is. Check out antique malls, flea markets, design centers, modern furniture, cowboy rustic unpainted wood furniture, modern design, retro, mid-century -- the world is big and you should check it all out.
    You said you like blue -- so that might be a starting point for you in looking for art and accessories. And there are a lot of shades of blue that will go beautifully with grey and black. Very sophisticated.
    Can't think of much else to say right now. Just remember that good design is always evolving. And the best design is functional as well as pleasing to look at. And there really is no "wrong" as long as it pleases you. Later.
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    WOW so many great suggestions!!!! Thanks everyone so so so much. I like how everyone is feeding off each other and creating some common themes for me. I mean with the gray and black furniture as well as rugs, helping me pick good stores for some budget items (since I like to buy expensive stuff when it matters to me or is essential or budgeting when it comes to simple decorations or lamps for instance.) I really can see my living coming together as well as Amy who likes to rebuild which I do like that idea of by bedroom btw (the idea to paint my bedroom furniture black and change to nickle handles)

I have much to do in respect to finding and piecing together some nice furniture and table pieces. I do also have some questions, but can't really think of many right now. Except I can think of one: Carolyn I did get a bit confused or more like I could not picture the 3 or 4 scenarios with the coffee table (rounded or square) the sofa table or end tables or the placements of the tables in general I think this paragraph I didn't exactly follow. I did follow the last scenario I think maybe if with some pictures that would help (sorry don't want to ask for more as you have already given me soooo much :) )

"Regarding end tables. I prefer to use floor lamps or sofa tables. Floor lamps would go at the side or behind a sofa. A sofa table goes behind a sofa to hold lamps, etc. Coffee tables hold drinks, etc.
    If I am using two chairs opposite a sofa, I would place a round (not square) table between them. If I am using a chair at each end of the sofa, then I would place a small drinks table beside each chair.
    Sometimes I will use one end table beside a sofa and place a table lamp on it, then at other end of sofa I'll place a floor lamp."

But seriously I will do research on my own this week and will try to post pictures of the items I find maybe get some consensus going. Carolyn btw i love the sofas you picked they are exactly what I wanted of course different color but yes what I wanted.

HomeCheckDallas Thanks for congrats. I have found some apartments and gone to look at them. I only posted up above the floor plans.

Everyone: I have actually looked (very briefly though) for apartments in the Bay and seen I could find a similar sq footage for 1200 which is more than Dallas but I think I prefer space above price. I think once I go for a 750+ sqft. I will NOT want to go lower.

michigammemom: thanks for the picture I do like that setup think I would go for a smaller couch that one looks bigger than 89" but not sure. I would also like to add the two end chairs on the either side of the sofa much like the trend that has been going around here.

Susan: Thanks for the advice since I mostly move my stuff myself with some of my friends ( I am kinda of strong since I workout :) ) That is excellent to know.

mpoulsom and Amy I will be SURE to take a look at IKEA seems like I had a misconception of that store after all.

Carolyn back to you I forgot to mention I do like the idea of using a floor lamps seems real neat and a sofa table (not sure besides lamps what you mean etc for?) I think I would like one end table and one floor lamp on the side since I plan on having an iPhone dock on the side. (I do like to keep my phone docked it looks cool instead of having a cable running through the table. :)

finndian thanks for the advice I will be sure to keep that in mind. :)

Thank you Everyone!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Miguel, you get my vote for the most thankful person on Houzz! That was very sweet.
  • Paul F.
    11 years ago
    Not just any ordinary iPhone dock I hope!

BT curve bluetooth handset
  • Paul F.
    11 years ago
    Ooops... pic
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi Miguel, sorry to confuse you. To summarize my confusing paragraph, there are various choices to make regarding end tables and floor or table lamps. Here are the various combinations you could use:
    1. Sofa plus 2 floor lamps and coffee table.
    2. Sofa plus 1 floor lamp, 1 end table with lamp and coffee table.
    3. Sofa plus sofa table, with 1 or 2 lamps on sofa table, and coffee table. Be aware that you may not have space in every apt. for a sofa table, but as HomeCheckDallas pointed out, a sofa table can be used as an entry table in another apt.

Of course, lots of people only watch TV and don't need lamps. Others read books on their Kindles or iPads and don't need lamps. But lamps with dimmers do wonders for the ambiance of a room at night. And they're inexpensive at Ikea.

If you flank your sofa with chairs, and you have one end table, then if the end table is close enough to be easily reached by the person in one of the chairs, that chair will not require a drinks table of its own. The other chair will need a small table beside it. I prefer round ones.
    Heather Garrett Design · More Info
    Transitional Family Room · More Info
  • Susanna
    11 years ago
    Miguel,
    I have attached a board for you with the link. Just a few things to consider that I found for you. Maybe you will like some of it. I have included many options so I am not suggesting all of it. Just a cache of possibilities. Good luck! Susanna
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Nice work Susanna! Love those adult sippy cups! Not to mention the Dirty Pirate Popsicles:0
  • Susanna
    11 years ago
    Ha! LOL...How did those get in there?! Not exactly decor but sometimes, as they say, it's the little things! I'll probably be arrested soon by the Houzz police for serving alcohol on pin boards without a license. :-)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Probably not, SA, I'm always urging people to put a drinks table close to every chair!
  • David Stallworth
    11 years ago
    Keep things simple and as you like dark, find pieces you like which speak to you. Remember, you need to impress you first, anyone else shall be impressed by the quality shown. Learn how to stain furniture as wood pieces which are all the same colour shall speak of greater collected continuity and the pieces to one another even if they're a mix of the modern and the rustic, the classical to the funky. Concerning colour, As it's a rental place your colour in your art and in your pillows/accessories. Leather furniture always looks cool, Check out zgallerie.com, overstock.com, macys.com, your local consignment store for sculptural pieces, westelm.com, cb2.com, as well as costplusworldmarket.com and pier1.com. Heck, for cheap art with a bit of style head off to Home Depot, buy some planks, stain them the colour you want to do your furniture in and spray a stencil upon the planks of wood in either a copper or gold and you're done. Do what speaks to you. When done correctly any woman you bring over shall be impressed and think you more sophisticated and stylish than you first let on. Women love men who're a mystery.
  • Susanna
    11 years ago
    We do? I missed that memo. :-)
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I would like to remind you to explore Craig's List for used furniture. As people move, they sell lots of nice furniture. I scored a teak dining room table, six chairs, and buffet for $200. The buffet itself would sell for at least $800 on ebay.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Maybe an INTERNATIONAL man of mystery....
  • PRO
    MODE Painting
    11 years ago
    Start here for inspiration www.restorationhardware.com - hopefully theres a showroom in your home town...
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry for the delay guys, turns out last semester of undergrad is not so easy as it should be lol. Well for what I have done so far is created a pinterest board and put many little ideas and furniture for my future apartment. It is not completely done since I still have to add a lot of these great ideas that are on these discussions. I also began looking at places apartments of equal floor plan size in the Bay, and Boston, simply for curiosity, and WOW are those expensive apartments (2000+ for 1bd)!!

http://pinterest.com/angelr91/bachelor-pad/

Susan: Thanks so much for the compliment, we I am the one that is grateful for all the help.

finndian: I actually do have a good iPhone dock in mind its called the Elevation Dock. This dock was a kickstarter project I really like the design. http://www.elevationlab.com/

Carolyn: Thanks for the explanation I get it now completely, I must say I do like all those choices. I really need to think about which one I like best, and also compare it to when I see the final apartment I choose also it will depend what furniture pieces I find, and which ones go best with each other. would a bookcase go with the living room or how about a desk? I did see the right picture uses a sofa table and adds chairs which I am thinking they are using this for a desk substiture not sure though. But since I am thinking of later replacing my coffee table with the one with storage maybe a black one to go with dark colors. I am thinking of staining the ones I ahv eright now with black and chainging their bronze handles with nickle what do you think?

Susanna Artistea: Thanks for the pinterest board I began following it. For some reason I can not see your link anymore, however. Yes, I do believe girls like the mystery look too.

David: Wow great suggestions. What stain color for the wood furniture do you believe is best for the dark colors I have chosen to go by? Just as an FYI I think I have chosen to go with black (of course), gray, and maybe a dark blueish color?? does this go? I know sherwin williams kinda of helps you choose 1 color and find others that go with them and they also go more specific to tell you what walls have to go a certain color. I do want to point out my apartment does give me the ability to do an accent wall, but I am not sure what are all the colors for the accent wall. I will email the prospected apartments and ask and I will put them here. But if I do an accent wall that means that the other walls will remain the color that they are which again I have to make sure what color that is. I am a bit skeptical on using an accent wall if the walls are dark already since that would look white (even though the walls aren't white more like beige) but that is not the look of dark walls, but I am having trouble picture the walls painted anyways, so I could be wrong and I may like the turnout afterall.

I also like your idea to make basically my own stained art using Home Depot pretty slick! I do like the bottom left image with the chair. It looks like a good chair to have in my bedroom. What do you think?

yvonnecmartin: Thanks yea I think I will be sure to check craigslist in Dallas for furniture. Since it is a big town I am sure that the rich will be selling good stuff lol

MODE Painting: Thanks!! there is a store in Dallas actually! Thanks alot!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Ikea has a wonderful bookcase series called "Billy" which offers great looking bookcases in black/brown. They come about 31" wide or 15" wide each. Get the added height pieces to make them look totally cool. They could fit in your dining room easily if you don't have a big table.

You could also combine them with your media system.

I see you have a kitchen bar cart on your pinterest board. Ikea has those too, with butcher block top, in several sizes, all at good prices. But I doubt that you'll really need one and might not find space for it in Boston.

The chairs in the second photo I showed you in describing different table choices showed two club chairs, plus in the background were some dining chairs which is probably what you thought were for a desk.
    BILLY Bookcase · More Info
    BILLY Bookcase combination with TV bench · More Info
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Susanna I think I recieved a comment from you regarding the pins but I can not see your comment anymore.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Miguel, how are you doing? Any decisions made, or need more assistance?
  • PRO
    Lavieestbelledesign
    11 years ago
    Ive always loved these text prints and think they are very masculine and edgy. Depending on what city you live in they have all the major cities. Also if you haven't already painted I love Benjamin Moore "Kendall Charcoal"

Check out www.zgallerie.com
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Andrea I added them to my pinboard!

Susan I am good thanks for asking. I am little behind on choosing ideas but with this spring break I hope to get caught up. I will be sure to post pictures of what I like. I think I am thinking of a space with dark woods (maybe black or dark brown) and colors that are gray, black and white, maybe some dark blues. I don't know if these four colors go well together, but I think they might. Check out my pinboard if you'd like

http://pinterest.com/angelr91/bachelor-pad/

Susanna Artistea thanks for the link again I think the last one I saved didn't work since there is a different name now. I got already all the pins I liked and then some.
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Everyone!

So I was looking at the floor plan I have posted above, and I was wondering if the living room sofa with two chairs (the chair would be similar to the one below) were going to fit. The arrangment I am trying to imagine is the apartment sofa and two chairs on either end. I have two end tables already and do not know if I should use them to create the way I want the living room to look. Also does a loveseat work instead of an apartment sofa?

What are you thoughts Carolyn?

I like the both arrangments you posted above of how to arrange the living room, and i am wondering which one would fit a 11 x 16.5 space with a tv. Not sure if this will mean that the TV will be either viewable with a 90 degree angle, not viewable to some people if the chairs are across each other. Also would it look good to just have an apartment sofa and a single chair like the one below?

My sister pointed this out to me, and well I am worried that if I go with the initially idea of having apartment sofa two chairs on the side two end tables and a coffee table it would be too long and not fit anywhere. I have considered not using the end tables and using a sofa table not sure of this either. I need to go back and look at the apartment, this i know.

Thanks!
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    BTW my view of how I would like the arrangment of the living room is based on wanting something new. i have always grown up with a three seater sofa and a loveseat on one side with two end tables and a coffee table. I would like to stray away from this layout. I actually think I kind of have two since there is no way i could fit all that. I want something out of the ordinary which to me all the ideas here on houzz are out of the ordinary to me and I have yet to see anyone i know arrange so nicely as all of yall do.

Let me know any arrangments I can have just in case its a smaller living space since this is a 1 bedroom.

Thanks so much!
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry for soo many messages. I just saw another idea this is rather unorthodox but I am seeing "How I Met Your Mother" and I noticed Barney's apartment living room arrangment. Here is the picture, maybe this could work. He has only 1 chair an apartment sofa and coffee table and sofa table and two end tables?? Comments...
  • folk698
    11 years ago
    i started reading the posts, but didn't read all of them so sorry if i say something someone else did. I agree that the furniture that you do is rather dated but it's a shame just to dump everything and expensive to replace all at the same time. The dresser than nightstand could be updated easliy by just getting rid of the hutch mirror, giving everything a coat of black paint, purchase new drawer handles and then just hanging a framed mirror over the dresser. I think that would give you a more sophisticated look in your bedroom without alot of initial expense. That way you could focus on your living space first.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Miguel, in a small apt. I see no reason to use two end tables. You may not even need one. Floor lamps cover the lighting issue and the coffee table is the landing spot for drinks and snacks. If you have one chair, then an end table at the end of the sofa where the chair is located would be useful for holding both a table lamp and the beverage of the chair dweller. But if the coffee table is big enough for the chair dweller to reach, you could use a floor lamp instead.

A sofa table has flexibility in that it can be used behind a sofa or in an entry, so that's an option depending on what you really need in your first apt. Keep us posted. We're interested in what you do!
  • Aaron Reynolds
    10 years ago
    Miguel, I'm in the same shoes as you. I know what I like, I know what I want, but I have trouble piecing it all together. I have a question for you though...in one of the photos you posted...there is art on the wall. I must have that painting/photo. Can you tell me where you got the photo so I can try to track it down please? Thanks for any help.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Try www.soundwaveart.com. Good descriptions and allows you to make print using your own voice.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Miguel, please tell us how you're doing with furnishing your new home. We'd love to hear from you and maybe see some photos.
  • PRO
    Sea Sales Estate Liquidation Services
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I recommend you reach out to Sheila @ Boston Consignment - she works so well with people and spaces and ideas ... she really great! And. the store Boston Consignment has a fabulous selection (all the time!). They sell online too: bostonconsigns.com bostonconsigns.com - you can call her 781 449 0900 or email info@bostonconsigns.com. Email a space you need help with, and she will reply w/ ideas and what is in stock. A no brainer, it's an awesome service. Boston Consignment is located outside Boston in Needham - they deliver and pick up.

• Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi Guys,

It has been a few years now and of course I am still taking my time to get my apartment how it should look. I have now made my room look very close to the way I want to have it look. A reason it has taken me this long is becuase I have moved city to city and I am now living with a roommate but will go back to my own apartment in a few months. I will post pictures when I move into my new place and as I continue to decorate my place I will fill this discussion up. Ikea has been a big help!

Thanks for all you guys' help!

Miguel
  • Miguel Rios
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Everyone!

My room so far. It has 2 night stands that you see from the last picture, and then the 6 drawer chest and the cubicle. All from IKEA. I am going to hang the picture frames you see on the top of the cubicle. I also have a black platform bed, I will add a picture for that one later.

• susan2494
    8 years ago

I would like to respectfully request that you start a new post for your bedroom dilemma. This one is so long. Start a new one and post bedroom items and let's start over with that room.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Susan has a good idea, but if you do it, please be sure to post a link to the new dilemma here.

It's fun to see what you've been up to.