raingreg_jewell

Condo in the tropics.

Rain Greg Jewell
8 years ago
Hello, My husband and I recently purchased a 1441 sq ft 2 bdrm 2.5 bath built in 2000 in Puerto Vallarta Mexico .8 from the beach. We close on January 15th.
For the last 3.5 years we have been homeless and unemployed traveling the world looking for a place we might like to hang out for awhile. We sold 3 homes in 2012 selling most everything we have. We will be moving in with nothing, a blank canvas.
My questions are, does anybody have any experience decorating in this kind of an environment? We have 75-100% humidity here, I see pitting on metal furniture legs, fixtures, hardware, etc does anyone have any suggestions for how to prevent this? We also have a big termite problem. A Canadian snowbird couple had their night stands eaten while they were away. Any decorating advice minimizing wood and the use of pesticides on wood?
We have wall mount AC units here called mini splits, is there anyway to camouflage these are pretty them up?
We have lots of windows in our condo (5 units, 1 unit per floor), what would be the best window treatment option?
We have coved ceilings and tile floors throughout with cement walls. They have unusual building methods and tastes here. The same tile on the floor was cut and used as base molding, ugh! Any suggestions on how I might trim it out and use crown molding?
The hallway is S shaped from open concept kitchen/dining/living rm to half bath, front entrance, and en suite bedrooms with arched built-ins in the wall. Any suggestions for hall entry decor? I'm not seeing any curved tables, benches, etc.
Also finding decor down here that matches our tastes is somewhat difficult, I've read of people driving all the way to Guadalajara to go shopping. Are there any good online shops that might deliver here? I've looked at Overstock.com and I'm nervous the quality may disappoint me.
I know it's a lot of questions. I did limit myself, lol. :-) Any scrap of advice will be helpful.
Gracias
Rain & Greg Jewell

Comments (8)

• Darzy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I would hardly call traveling the world for the last 3.5 years looking for a place to hang your hat being "homeless!".

At any rate, congrats on finding your new abode. The best advice is to follow the lead of the locals regarding furnishings that are resistant to humidity and termites. Rattan is big in humid climates. If Mexico and the culture appeals to you, I would think the décor, local furniture artisans and artists would be my choice to decorate my home with the local flair and talent.

• Rain Greg Jewell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Gracias 1639,
    We appreciate your advice. We had considered a dehumidifier, wasn't sure if it would be needed with AC running.
    We have joined an expat forum and hope to make many more friends. We have met some great people that's why we fell in love with PV.
    We haven't learned how to slow down yet, we have had locals remind us. :-)
    We have been living out of a suitcase and two saddlebags since crossing the border on our motorcycle . We will not have a bed or a chair to sit on once we leave our rental and take position of our new home, so we are anxious to get a few basics purchased.
    We actually plan to rip out all the old tile and replace with grey wood look tile. I had read about a non wood baseboard and wonder if anyone has worked with it?
    The Jewells
  • Rain Greg Jewell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Darby
    A few years back we were in a little village on the sea of Cortez, El Golfo, there was a very small rv park and on the back of one RV was written, Homeless Unemployed and living in a Park. We thought that it fit us too. At the time we were traveling Canada and USA in an RV. People ask where we live and we say, "where ever we currently are, Spain, France....." We are originally from Washington state.
    As for liking local decorating tastes, not so much. We can love a culture with out yellow walls and brightly colored tile. There is much art in PV, all art is great, but we prefer neutral relaxing colors in our dishes, sculptures, paintings, etc. I'm sure we will find things that we won't want to live without, lol. :-)
    Gracias
    Rain & Greg Jewell
  • Darzy
    8 years ago

Ahhh... Now the "homeless and unemployed" comment makes sense. I don't mean to decorate the stereotypical orange and blue Mexican tile. I just meant to utilize local talent for furniture and art.

• Karen S.G
    8 years ago
    Neutral, pastel etc is found all over PV, all over Mexico. Look outside your windows for the colors you like and bring them inside.

2nd to what Darzy said.
  • PRO
    IM-KM
    8 years ago

The best thing we've learned about building and decorating in the tropics of Latin America is: don't fight it! You're off to a good start by understanding that local materials, options and building tastes are just different. Hands down the best thing we've done is to find a good local craftsman to build custom pieces. We've done so many case studies of our own of pieces that practically melt in the humidity. Locals know the available woods and how they will expand and contract with the various seasons and patina over time, and might have some advice or local remedies for termites. A termite shield is always a good place to start, so at least you know when they're there and aren't surprised. We've also found that local leather is thick and tough and a brilliant orange tone, it can be moulded into chairs and table tops that withstand the sun outdoors, it just needs to be oiled one in awhile when it gets dry. Local woods, leathers and woven textiles are good neutral ways to use local materials while maintaining a neutral color palette. As for the tile, we opt for polished concrete. Hope some of these tips help - best of luck, a blank canvas can be intimidating but it is fun.

• Rain Greg Jewell
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Kristin,
    Your project in Panama is very impressive, big change from NYC.
    Our condo built in 2000 is made of concrete. Concrete walls, island, even the cabinets are concrete frames with a warm oak color wood front. We are on the bottom floor but on a hill with lots of natural light. I'm not sure a termite shield would work for us.
    We are removing the current tile, all white throughout as is the walls, and we did consider having a polished concrete floor, lovely! But, considering the efflorescence problem we've seen in the concrete here, and the quality of workmanship in structures, we fear cracking will be an on going problem and so we are considering a wood look tile. Besides tile, what would you recommend for base molding? Have you used the "wood look" paint able flexible basemolding?
    We met a gentleman expat in PuertoVallarta that had local leather made furniture, he told us it had started to mildew if he didn't use his AC.
    I was hoping to blend a tropical decor with the style we are used to in the Pacific Northwest. I have seen the tropical decor very overdone, too much wicker, coconut art, etc. We prefer low maintenance easy to clean furniture and decor. Glass though great for humidity and termite problems needs constant dusting and smudges easily from sweaty hands & elbows.
    I'd enjoy looking closer at you decor choices and hope to see more pics on your wedsite.
    Gracias
    Rain Jewell