flobeysolo

Are kitchen appliance garages passé?

flobeysolo
8 years ago

Have a semi-modern kitchen and pulled the existing corner appliance garage to fit new countertops (Dekton). Now we're questioning whether we want to reinstall the appliance garage or leave it out.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 years ago

The appliance garages are just approached in a different manner so they are easier to get into to use the appliances.

flobeysolo thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • havingfun
    8 years ago

I love this idea. never need to unplug

12 Insanely Clever Kitchen Ideas You Hadn’t Thought of Yet (You’re Welcome!) · More Info

• PRO
    Elite Kitchens
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We have installed an appliance garage in 75% our jobs this year! We more often design them as a "coffee bar" to hide that ugly coffee maker that everyone has sitting on their counter. Here are two examples from our showroom.

flobeysolo thanked Elite Kitchens
  • PRO
    Knight Kitchens Ed Stoehr
    8 years ago

My feeling is that garages are for cars, not appliances. They can work but usually the doors will get in the way and are generally left open.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

i put in an appliance garage when i redid the kitchen in my previous house in '93. when i redid the kitchen in this house last year i didnt, as i realized that they make it difficult to replace counter tops down the road. so i have my food processor and blender and can opener in a cabinet with roll out tray storage.

(i also did an under cabinet power strip in '93 but not this time. for appliances that are plugged in all the time, the cord going up looks worse than into an outlet, and for things plugged in and unplugged daily, the outlets 'wore in' and the plugs dropped out. live and learn.)

• PRO
    Coastal Home Design Studio
    8 years ago

Great look and a great way to conceal everything

• PRO
    Bosworth Kittleson Design
    4 years ago

r these pockets doors on appliance garage or no

• hillsidebox
    4 years ago

@fkurban what hardware did you use on these bifold doors? We are looking to do exactly what you have designed. any pointers would be helpful. thanks!