pam_ellis_hobbs

HELP!

Pam Ellis-Hobbs
8 years ago
I cannot make this room more comfortable, look right. I think I need a different type and more furniture. Could you suggest?
thank you!
Pam Hobbs

Comments (63)

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

everdebz, my first rendering would put the sofa parallel to the breakfast bar. My second rendering would keep the sofa facing the window but move it up. Of course, that now leaves a big empty space behind it, bigger and emptier than it was before.

Pam, if you were to place the dining table and chairs in front of the double windows, how much space would that leave you at the other end of the room. Better yet, can you give us a measurement from the current TV wall to the wall with the double windows?

• Related Discussions

need help with my living area,plz help .

Q

Comments (5)
    I agree with eztia - you need to give a raison d'etre to your room and pale gold from the upholstery will tie in with the room and contrast against the candy pink wall. If you could find a discreet candy pink and pale gold curtain you would have hit the jackpot!
    ...See More

need help with my room plzz help !

Q

Comments (15)
    yeah i will change the lamps and the bedding once the curtains r ready....i have a window behind the bed so i will havee to have curtains....becoz i dint find any good navy ones ( i looked in a dozen stores :/ ) so iv thot that ill do some layers in the curtains...may b a plain navy blue ( behind )with the black n white in pic 1 or 3 (infront ) ? lamp shdes navy...n bedding will hav diff colour pillow sets( white blck blue n coral ) ?? will it be too matchy matchy ??
    ...See More

Need help with vinly flooring for open plan kitchen & entrance. Help !

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks One Plan for your recommendation. Would it be good to go for Herringbone pattern in hallway and in the open plan vinyl straight planks and then matching tile in the decking area. We have shortlisted karndean vinyl for open plan (Von Gogh Distressed Oak) althought not sure. Also what type of anti-slip material should I go for if I had to matching wooden look vinyl ?
    ...See More

Help me decorate my living room :)

Q

Comments (83)
    that is what i have added if you can see the pic above.. want some suggestions on partition that i can use between dining and sitting
    ...See More
  • Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    20 feet
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Process by computer --- so grover, what might be good about moving dining set over by the windows? You said in number 2 there'd be even more room back there....

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    there would be. no matter how it's placed. I'm thinking of 2 bar stools and a couple of conversation chairs and a small table in the blank spot. table may be too much. I already have 2 end tables, a coffee table and a TV Stand, I want to move to the entry. I just need guidance on placement of big pieces. and the TV on the wall. what are your thoughts?
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Have you ever tried the arrangement grover first posted?

Grover and the others are 'can do' - and wonderful.

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    No I haven't yet.
  • everdebz
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Have you tried any arrangement other than the current one, ever...

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh yes I have.
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Oh -- did I sense tired arms???

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    ha! sorta! I've just not been satisfied with much of anything. I like what has been said here. then, there are curtains. I have no sense of what would work.
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Sometimes it depends on what is "permanently" seen against/next to the windows. And if you'll feel inspired to add a colorful throw... in other words! -- it's a bit confusing to me and I hope you try grover's idea....

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm going to! thank you!
  • katinparadise
    8 years ago

Hi Pam. You're in good hands! I do have one observation. It looks as though the dining room light is swagged over. From what I can see, I'm wondering if the builder didn't mean for the dining room area to be up near the kitchen peninsula and closer to the double window to the right of where you have the clock on the wall. That would give you room to re-orient the living room area in the direction of Grover's rendering. Just my two cents!

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I believe that is where I'm going to begin.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Hi, Pam. Sorry, I got called away for a bit. Don't worry about curtains or tables or lamps or anything until we get a furniture arrangement that works. You need a dining area with adequate space to pull out the chairs, a TV/conversation area where the pieces relate to each other (unlike now where the chairs have their backs to the sofa), and you're going to have a third area for which function is to be determined.

The room is 20 feet long which is not quite enough for TV and dining, and too long for TV alone. So returning to my first rendering, I think the TV area might go at the double window end, dining stay where it is, and the area by the entry with the built ins could be a cozy reading area, or perhaps even a mini-office with desk and computer (unless you have another room for that).

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Try putting TV to right of window as shown, sofa facing, two chairs facing double windows with a side table between. Then you might create a reading/sitting area by the entry. I show a bookcase under the window. And I couldn't help myself, but I had to adjust your art.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

For when ya want to take notes on Downton Abbey ---- if sofa is parallel to breakfast bar how about a desk behind it?

My Houzz: Modern and Moody Nostalgia in Salt Lake City · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Or to make note of birds in the back yard? Are you a birder? tee hee.

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Downton Abbey is coveted in our home! and, we do own an African Grey Parrot.
  • Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Am away from home right now. will be moving it all around tomorrow! you guys please don't be far away!
  • Susan Davis
    8 years ago

What a cool post. I am excited to see how things end up. Can you draw a floor plan/sketch so we can see all three areas you are talking about....I am not sure where the dining room should go? By the bar area?

• everdebz
    8 years ago

So fitting those chairs by the bookcases, and near the entry! A place for reading alone, or for a short visit [extended if a chair is there ya find that at times?]

But if you feel like fainting while gazing out your aristocratic window....

Edie Velvet Chaise, Green · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

With your hair color, you really need that orange-red color in your space - yes? Persimmon, whatever for dining ends. Or keep behind that sofa table as spare chairs!

GDF Studio Clark Soft Fabric Dining Chairs, Burnt Red, Set of 2 · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I think it'll be so good, but if grover's layout would crowd with a few chairs in nearby vicinity, maybe 1 bench or comfy under that window? This is just way expensive, but idea:

Modern Solid Wood & Leather Backless Sofa · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

[you didn't know people would unload their favorite photos] here's for counter? :) among many options....

Homelegance Ride Counter Height Stools With Red Seat, Set of 2 · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I looked at your ideabooks: you like earthy spice, but some light and soft colors too.

GDF Studio Addison Leather Club Chair, Teal Blue · More Info

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Again I'm still eye-ing the 'bookcase window' - though casual and money, could be great with curtains from stripe color?

Funstripes Rattan Double Bench w Storage Baskets in Multi · More Info

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I like those colors too
  • Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    there is a deep purple pillows that came with the green sofa
  • Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That's a purple, tans and golds and smidgen fleck of a military type blue.
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Well I did post a lot, but now I see...:)

So that is your color palette for sure - and the chair has the only color in the rooms?

There could be a bright gold throw over a couch?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I wouldn't even think about color palettes until you have a furniture arrangement that works. Your sofa is neutral, so it seems to me the determining factor should probably be the patterned chair. In any case, the fun stuff comes AFTER you've rearranged the room.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Center the dining table in its space, and center and lower the chandelier over the table.

Let the entry be entry, no TV, but maybe a bench and some chairs. This allows people to enter and gather their wits, a bit of transition from outside to in.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

Pam, if you move it soon Grover won't have to ball me out! It's sort of a quilt with your aqua/teal 'like'. Buy a solid pillow a color in throw [or whatever else, and place next to your current pillow].

New Bohemian Cotton Patchwork Throw Blanket · More Info

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't want him to ball you out. I'm sorry. I've just been away from my home today and haven't been back very long.
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

Pam, we forgive you for being busy - haha... hope all's well.

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I moved the table to be like this. I'm fixing to move the sofa. I'll post soon.
  • Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Is that ok?
  • everdebz
    8 years ago

ok. Issue of real change will come next - post ya?

Grandchildren coming within the hour....

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I moved this so far. is this what y'all mean? I can't move the TV alone, will get a mount for the right side of the double window, centered where the 4 pictures are now.
  • Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    dining
  • Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I Ned to rearrange the family pictures on the wall.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Yes. Now I think it's going to need a few adjustments. Don't worry about pictures for now. There will be plenty of time for pictures and the rest once the seating is right.

Question: is there enough space to walk between the dining table and sofa without having to squeeze through? Ideally you want 3 feet.

Can the two chairs be pulled a bit closer to the sofa and closer together? I'd try the patterned chair closer to the wall, and the leather recliner closer to the patterned chair. If they could be angled a bit so they almost touch at the corners of the arms, then a small round end table could go between them.

Then, if you do this with the chairs, could both chairs and sofa see the TV if it were on an articulating arm so you could pull it out and angle it?

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I moved the chairs in closer and mounted the TV on an articulating arm. I also rehung the art to the left of the window. There was too much space between the frames.

I would get a new media cabinet that spans almost the whole distance from the window to the corner. Pull your coffee table up 18" from the couch.

This is a large room with big furniture and you need to think big for your accessories. No little dinky lamps or skimpy curtains. They are totally out of scale. I added an appropriately sized lamp to the end table on the right.

• everdebz
    8 years ago

I'm so glad Grover knows what she's doing!! [Grandkids in bed - whoo fun wears me out!]

Portabella Blue and Orange 18-Inch Square Pillow · More Info

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    uh oh. Grover, what to do now? I did place the larger recliner closer to the wall and moved the smaller one to that space, helped some. it's my hope to make a true den out go husband office and move that in there.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Pam, I don't quite understand your last statement. You hope to move your husband's office from where to where? If you want office space in this room, it could be set up in the newly vacated entry area with a desk where the TV used to be.

• Pam Ellis-Hobbs
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm sorry, that wasn't clear. he has a room/ofc already, I want to bring his area up to par sometime and get that leather chair in there and out of LR.