mishprior

Dilemma protecting our weathered patio

Mish Prior
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi I am currently Renovating a property for a rental. The deck is exposed to the elements and appears it has never been maintained. It's in quite a sorry state. I know the weathered look is fashionable however I think this may be past this point! I've been advised to paint it. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments regarding deck paint? I have no idea what colour to paint it either. I have dulux monument for guttering and builders white for trim on the exterior. Any suggestions welcomed

Comments (16)

• jbantick
    8 years ago

Deck clean and re-oil. Use an oil with a stain in it as this apparently lasts longer. Merbau decking oil such as 'Cabots' is popular due to the fabulous colour. It'll come up a treat! Once its painted it then needs regular re-painting. But Re-oiling can be done whenever you feel like it.

• TB
    8 years ago
    I'm a great fan of organoil.

It enriches the timber rather than adding a coat of chemical, it also brings out the natural colour of the timber.

It's not cheap but I have had fantastic results with spotted gum and recycled black butt.

Good luck
  • kym2650
    8 years ago

What timber is it?

Do not 'paint' the deck using paint. Use an oil like the ones suggested above. Head down to the local hardware joint and have a look. There are lots of options. Probably worth buying some cleaner as well and do the job properly.

Once done properly it will look terrific.

Good Luck

• nedoz
    8 years ago

Where do you get organoil from TB? I have large amount of spotted gum deck to do, and was disappointed to find out all the oils at bunnings have a tint in them. Do you have a pic of your spotted gum?

• Mish Prior
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm 100% sure it's jarrah. That is predominantly what we use in the West. I'll be blown away if it comes back after oiling. It's in a very bad way with some very deteriorated parts. I guess if I oil it and it still doesn't work I can paint it then if I need to. Thanks for your advice :)
  • jbantick
    8 years ago

It'll come back after a good deck clean and oil. There is a product called 'Deck Clean' but a scrub with water and a stiff brush works quite well. Let it dry then oil. A lot of decks look like this before maintenance. You'll be blown away!

• Mish Prior
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much for your advice. It is truely appreciated :)
  • TB
    8 years ago
    Masters stocks organoil in large buckets.

Photo to come :-)
  • juliamac19
    8 years ago

I've used a pressure washer on my deck a couple of times a year for the past 8 years. Astonishing how much gunk comes off. Then leave to dry out well before applying decking oil. Ok to add a tint especially if the timber's not in good nick but once you've painted it you are stuck with that - and it looks really noticeable & really crummy once the paint starts wearing off with use,

• hosinator
    8 years ago
    Plus 1 for Cutek Oil. The best stuff we've ever used.
  • PRO
    Pitched Pergolas & DeckStyle
    8 years ago

Being a rental, the only person who will be looking after the deck will be you. Suggest that you consider replacing the timber with a good quality composite deck, no coating required, minimum maintenance (hose/sweep/mop) choice of timber-look colours or grey is also popular. If you do decide to keep the timber, factor in the cost/time for maintenance and repairs, good luck

• johnclan
    8 years ago
    Aquadeck by Cabots. new natural is the best for jarrah. 2 coats it will come up a treat. that's what I'm doing tomorrow I'm in WA. twice a year you need to do this.
  • kooky_karen
    8 years ago

We have a new decking and we were advised to let it sit for a while before staining it.

@mareeb - you seem to have it down to a fine art. Thank you for your instructions - I am copying and saving for future reference.

• Kerrie Chapman
    8 years ago

We use Cutek CD50 on our spotted gum decking. We oil the whole deck at least once a year (we are in SE Qld and the deck faces west so, even though its under a verandah, it gets a fair bit of sun). The outside parts of the deck that are exposed more to the elements and also get a bit of rain, we oil as more often (visually, you can tell when it needs a drink). We used a tint called Sela Brown, which I found to be too dark for my liking (some of the colours that make spotted gum so beautiful got lost). Next time we will try it without a tint or maybe try New Bronzetone, which is also a tint they recommend for spotted gum. I always thought the tint was added to provide the timber with extra UV protection, but when I spoke to the Cutek rep, he said it was purely cosmetic and untinted oil provided just as much protection.

• PRO
    Mountain MT Homes LLC
    7 years ago

Yes do not paint as the oil product will hold up the deck over years, while paint does not.

Ken