aminajakram

A nice red for the kitchen

AA
8 years ago
Can anyone recommend a nice red color for the walls of my small kitchen? It has white cabinets and a black floor, with a beautiful river view. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments (40)

• leelee
    8 years ago

Red will really close in your small kitchen. Why not do just fun accents in red?

• Related Discussions

Need help for my Black, White & Red lounge

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi! I love the theme of red, black, and white because it is so simple and sleek! Here are a few ideas for the chairs: http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/7/bradley-club-chair/ http://deciture.com/shop/furniture/7/cooper-armchair/ Hope these help!
    ...See More

Kitchen backsplash - which tiles for a white Cottage/Farmhouse kitchen

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Rasa, Nice to hear from you and I’m glad I was able to give you some inspiration for your kitchen tiles. I’ve included another image for you to look at that shows more of a farm house style kitchen with the coloured tiles. If you worried the coloured tiles might look too contemporary for your space, I would advise going for quite soft, muted colour tones to give you the same effect but in a more rustic style. You can see in the attached image how they have used a soft sheen, textured tile in neutral tones, with a subtle hint of colour to be in-keeping with that farmhouse feel. For your tile colours, you could pick up the off white tone of your cabinets with the grey in the granite, and a very soft hint of green or blue to add a little colour to achieve the same look for your kitchen. I have also added some paint swatches below you could use as reference for tile colours to help you visualise the combination. Off white: Greys: Blue or Green: Hopefully this answers your questions for you and I’d love to see some pictures when your project is finished. Good luck with the decorating. Paola Dulux Design Expert www.designer.duluxamazingspace.co.uk
    ...See More

Help needed for my kitchen

Q

Comments (12)
    Hello, we areCAS Cerámica, a Spanish ceramic tile company with nearly 100 years of experience in decorative ceramic. We have a lot of ceramic tile collection that would look beautiful in your kitchen. We would like also to tell you that ceramic tiles have a lot of advantages: decorative ceramic is easier to put, is cheaper and is cleaner than other building materials, and it last more and has more possibilities to placement! Concrete Collection Spring Collection Factory Collection Tender Collection Artline Collection Chateau Collection Olympia Collection We hope this help you. If you want to see more ceramic tile collections visit our website www.casceramica.com and do not forget send us any question about sell points or prices at comunicacion@casceramica.com Best regards,
    ...See More

suggest nice plan for 43×43 feet plot

Q

Comments (3)
    dear sir please send your email address and phone number I will call you or you can contact me at 9810590496 regards Bipin
    ...See More
  • leelee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Paint the walls white and add framed vintage poster for that extra splash of red.

• Alexandra
    8 years ago

I agree with Leelee. Red is a really demanding color. Incorporate red in your decor better. Use a rule of 3 where the accent color is incorporated in 3 areas:
    Leave the wall color as is and add a collage wall that has red in it.
    Get a red toaster and display it on a counter?
    Get red towels?

• AA
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lovely suggestions! Many thanks!
  • eresmith09
    8 years ago

Have you considered more of a Persimmon on the walls? It is a warm, rich, redish orange. I have found these kind of colors to be very forgiving to work with and are absolutely beautiful to look at.

• katscorvette
    8 years ago

I personally would not to red walls in the kitchen, or any other room for that matter. One wall , half a wall, or accents would be just right

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

I agree red is an overpowering color, but that doesn't mean you can't go with a red accent wall. The persimmon color above is a very nice red and would warm up your kitchen nicely.

• aprilgreer
    8 years ago

I love red in a kitchen, while I was renovating my little cottage I came across a red that was perfect, not too bright, not too orange, and not too stark, it is called Brazilian nut from Lowe's, my mom loved it soo much she painted her kitchen that color and eventually two other accent walls in the house I will try to find a photo or go take one today. The color is soft and warm, natural and earthy.

• PRO
    KHI Designs
    8 years ago

Red is a hue that will sop up light, whether it is natural, ambient or task. You will have to take that into consideration and make adjustments to lighting fixtures. Also, the extreme contrast of white with a red background will shrink the perceived size of the room. My recommendation would be to use red in the accents, not the wall. A neutral will look blah when you first paint it but once you fully decorate the room, it will bring everything into balance.

• calvarylove
    8 years ago

Pomegranate by Sherwin Williams - it's not too dark and not too bright - it's just right. Maybe paint one wall and add red to the others via pictures - but if you like red - go for it, you only live once. God created color for us to enjoy!

• Colleen Nolan
    8 years ago

Stay clear of the red! It will suck the life out of the little room. Paint the walls white and add pops of red with decor. Red is difficult to get on the wall and difficult to cover when you are sick of it. Always stay neutral in big items and use color in small items so you can change it when you are sick of it without having to do work or spend a lot of money.

• arizona710
    8 years ago

I think it all depends on your space. From the photo you posted it seems like you have very neutral colors and the cabinets get lost. The wall that is pictures could be an accent as others suggested if you are afraid of red closing up the room. The accent wall and red accessories would look great if the space is small or closed off from the rest of the house. In my opinion if your kitchen is open or you get lots of light - paint it red! In the end it's just paint :)

Heres a photo of my old kitchen- color is Morrocan Red by Behr

This photo was at night so it looks even darker than it is. I loved the color and didn't think it made the room small. I felt it made my wood cabinets seem brighter.

• AA
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Many thanks everyone! I'm inclining towards painting it all red! Yes, we only live once! And so I'll experiment. With the winter (I'm in NY) perhaps a warm, cozy kitchen would be lovely. I'll post picture once the project is done! Most appreciated!
  • Monique Vernon
    8 years ago

I just painted above my cupboards with Behr's Tomato. I absolutely love it! It leans toward orange. Only issue is 4 coats for depth.

• hayleydaniels
    8 years ago

I have a couple of orange accent walls in my L shaped dining room and love how it makes the dark dank gray winter days in the Pacific Northwest seem less oppressive. I noticed how much it helped my mood the first winter I had more color in my house.

And the one thing I've learned since we started renovating our house is that if you don't like it, you can always repaint. And I have several times, but it's been worth it getting the colors right. You don't always know what will look right or what you'll like until you try something.

• Delora Dickey
    8 years ago

Wish I could remember the red we used in the connecting kitchen/dining room (without digging thru paint cans in the garage). We bought about 6-8 little jars ($3.00 ea?) of varying reds and painted swaths on all the walls. Remember, sunlight, artificial light, and time of day will dramatically change the color. Several times I thought we found the perfect red, only to find it looked orange or purplish. The red we finally got was PERFECT! We used a color found at Lowe's, but had it color-matched at Ganahl Lumber, using their kitchen/bath formula. It cost about $50 per gallon at the time, but we only needed to coat twice to cover the dark green under it. This was about 8 years ago. Still looks great and we get many compliments on the richness of it...deep coloring without being dark. Good luck!

• mrsqnbee
    8 years ago
    I've used Heirloom Red on my front door. It is a rich, true red.
  • makmartell
    8 years ago

Go for it! I did a pretty bold color (Fresno by Benjamin Moore - it's an orangey/coral) and I absolutely love it. Makes me smile everytime I walk in. I don't have a particular red to recommend, but I love the one Peggy posted (first comment). (I'll pop in a picture of my wall color too...)

• PRO
    Artcraft Wood Products Co.
    8 years ago

I think red is fun! Why not do your walls in red?! The white cabinets will help brighten things up.

I know the cabinets here are brown but there's enough white to get the idea how this would look for you. This is by Glidden, Candy Red. I think a bright red would look best to brighten things up. If it's a dark deep red it might be too dark with the black floor.

An idea to do just one wall with a door accent.

Excuse the horrible black floor but at work right now there's only Paint on the computer! But if you only live once....

Have fun and enjoy your new adventure! Post pictures when you're done! Keep in mind, with reds... they will look pink at first. You'll need more than one coat and you could tint your primer to help out. Good luck!

• suezbell
    8 years ago

Choosing neutral colors for walls will be a safer idea since repainting the space in which you're living is a real chore. Color can always be added elsewhere with accessories, including in the kitchen: a trivet collection on the wall or colorful cookie jars or canisters. Your space will look a lot less cluttered with one wall color per room -- unless the second color is for a different material such as with wainscoting or wallpaper.

That said, almost any color would work with white cabinets but the shade of the color -- if too dark and/or too bold -- could have a jarring visual effect rather than a relaxing comfortable one.

The darker more muted red color suggested by arizona710 is a far better choice than the bold bright jarring red ones.

If you want red in your kitchen, you could consider countertops with both some red and some gray in them and then use the gray shade in the countertop for the walls and add accessories that are red to get more of that bolder color.

You could also get some red in the room without too much red by using the horizontal trim tapes intended for the top of walls with wallpaper without using the wallpaper itself.

If you're considering two colors in your room, test them together on a similar surface first. Keep some scraps of sheetrock and plywood and boards from the construction site for this purpose. Paint two separate pieces with those colors and try them side by side. Two different shades of the same color could work. Two different colors of the same shade could work. Two starkly different colors and shades could be easily be visually jarring rather comfortable and welcoming.

• dianeswatters
    8 years ago
    I painted my kitchen a rich red (the one this year they are calling merlow). I love it withe my dark cabinets. Don't be afraid of color!
  • Lizzy L.
    8 years ago

I agree with using red as pops of color -- definitely not on the walls. It will close it in. I would use an airy color, with a grey undertone.

• bbb1701
    8 years ago

Only you can know what's right for your house, don't be afraid to try something bold! You can get small samples and try them in your space before you paint the whole thing. I like Valspar Scarlet Sun. Remember you can always repaint if you hate it.

• tarma
    8 years ago

I painted our kitchen Benjamin Moore Burnt Russet, a deep red/brown. Paired it with Benjamin Moore Louisburg Green for the trim and pantry door - a warm neutral green that really pops against the reddish walls. Also carried this combination around the corner onto one accent wall in the dining room, which flows into the kitchen. Probably not traditional, but I like it!

• ritzilady
    8 years ago

go with the red-make a splash- i just painted my accent wall chartreuse and we only go around once! after all its only paint not tile!

• ebtehaj
    8 years ago

Love red in my kitchen.

• B Domike
    8 years ago
    Mary's Lipstick from the Style At Home colour collection from Beautitone at Home Hardware.

It is gorgeous.
  • tevlaw
    8 years ago
    I just did my kitchen in Canyon Arroyo by Sherwin Williams. I love it. It's warm and cheerful.
  • Charlotte Keim
    8 years ago
    if you love red, go for it! I painted my living room a deep, rich red 12 years ago despite everyone saying it would too dark. clash with my wood trim and wood panel accent walls, and be possible to change. Loved it, guests commented positively, and this year when I needed a change, two coats of a good quality soft sand color paint did the trick. I was very happy with my red walls, so give but a try.
  • classysass
    8 years ago

I think those who don't really like red would ever consider painting any room in that color. If you like red, you'll be very comfortable with it. It will make you happy. It's a strong, bold color. I've used red in several rooms in different houses over the years and I've always loved it. I first used it when my designer suggested it on the ceiling of my living/dining room. It was a lacquer and back then it was difficult to find a true red. We ended up using an industrial paint used for fire hydrants and other such applications. The red color I currently use is BM Exotic Red. I think it's a rich, true red with no orange or gray undertones. I have it in the kitchen but with dark cabinets. Go for it.

• biedermann4728
    8 years ago
    I used accents of red, yellow and black. I put up yellow curtains and pictures of black and white chickens and I think my kitchen is pretty cute.
  • leelee
    8 years ago

In case you don't like the red walls after you paint--you will most likely need 3 or 4 coats to cover it. Think about that before proceeding.

• M. Walczak
    8 years ago
    I'm in love with Benjamin Moore ' s "Raisin Torte". It's a deep red with a touch of brown in it. An accent wall of it would be gorgeous in your kitchen. I have paired it with gray throughout my entire house. My painters said they thought it was the perfect color red--whether you're traditional or transitional. I have an office and dining room painted with it. And have an accent wall in my master bedroom and master bathroom. The other walls in those rooms are Ben Moore ' s "Stormy Monday". It is a medium gray with a hint of taupe when done in a satin finish. Houzz recently had an article suggesting it as a good exterior red too.
  • tarma
    8 years ago

mothomwal, I strongly considered BM Raisin Torte for my kitchen - it is a beautiful color. In the end decided to go with Burnt Russet instead, but I think I would have been happy with either.

• janet4753
    8 years ago

I also have a small, galley kitchen. I used red brick paneling on the walls and painted the cabinets a light gray. I have natural burlap curtains that let in the light yet provide privacy. I also have some red accessories, but not too many. I say go with what you think you'll like.

• noeljoy
    8 years ago

Years ago, when we added a top floor to our previous home, we painted and decorated with a neutral grey. I never loved it because grey is not a color that I love. Eventually I painted the upstairs with butter yellows with touches of warm red and, because reds etc. are colours which make me happy, the upstairs quite simply warmed my heart. Paint what you love.

• PRO
    Strata Alexopoulou
    7 years ago

I would go for a reddish orange for the kitchen wall, as a deep red can take over the space.

(the above are bengamin moore colors)

• PRO
    Elite Custom Painting
    7 years ago

It might be a bit late, but next time give me a call and I could be of assistance!

• calvarylove
    7 years ago

Pomegranate red by Sherwin Williams is a wonderful kind of cherry red but not real bright - its inviting and my favorite of the reds:)