tommyflan

POLL: Kitchen divider - hit or miss?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This picture got quite the response from users when we shared it across our social channels - some loved the unusual touch, others claimed it was completely impractical!

So now we want to know what you think - is this a hit or a miss?

Old Amersham Kitchen · More Info

Hit
Miss

Comments (39)

• philip mills
    8 years ago
    What's it doing totally pointless
  • jujubat
    8 years ago
    nope. less worktop surface, more dust and dirt to clean off! Sorry, not for me.
  • PRO
    Coppice Guild
    8 years ago

I would like to see this in a larger context. Ie. is there another one giving it symmetry and doing something? As it stands though it appears to have no purpose. The kitchen itself is great!

• gold895
    8 years ago

I agree with other comments - what's the point? I just don't get it.

• Annette Canning
    8 years ago
    Agree with others. Totally pointless, looks odd & more glass to keep clean :((
  • russja64
    8 years ago
    no. no. no.
  • Kittihawke
    8 years ago
    I quite like it. It's quirky. Not something you'd see every day. And it does serve a purpose: it defines the larderette!
  • User
    8 years ago

• marivon1
    8 years ago

Noooo, just not right! It divides the worktop and the drawer beneath in an unnatural place and as they say is "neither use, nor ornament"!

• rmmul
    8 years ago

sorry but it's a no. If it was completely glassed off, maybe... but not as is

• User
    8 years ago
    Looks like stupid on top of mess to me (mess being the open shelving)
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tom,

I have to say it's a miss! It's entirely impractical as it offers no real function.. If it were a floor to ceiling screen that ran on tracks so you could pull it closed or have it open when in use... then... possibly it could work.. but not as a countertop window.. Also I do not personally like the collection of small kitchen appliances in a row..... ( Chrome Dualit toaster and chrome kitchenaid mixer aside) ... Everything else... Awayyyyyy. the built in chopping block is good though! I like the colours.. : ))

• Lo Blattner
    8 years ago

To be fair, the entire space is a miss - from the colour scheme (colour me dead) to the choice of materials, the design here hasn't been thought through and lacks heart and soul.

• jamesandcat
    8 years ago

If you're sharing a kitchen with people who have allergies, it could be helpful - this is the coeliac zone, this is the non-coeliac zone. We have to have colour coded utensils and chopping boards!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello jamesandcat,

Yes that is a point... for those who share ... : ))

• headers13
    8 years ago

It's a miss. Can't see the point at all. Looks odd only on one side.

• breda44
    8 years ago

Appears ridiculous to my eye. The snapshot is too limited and needs to be enlarged to make an accurate assessment.

• PRO
    Robinson Stone
    8 years ago

Looks a bit pointless to us

• Tom Flanagan
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If anyone wants to see further images, just click the 'More Info' icon under the photo! This kitchen is in a lovely grey regardless - I'm sure we can all agree on that :)

• User
    8 years ago

I had a look. Love the kitchen, still don't like the window divider.

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    8 years ago

I like the idea. There are better pictures of the space on "More info". It totally makes sense. A quirky traditional style pantry corner, good quality joinery. Very good it is "hit" for me.

• honeypoppet
    8 years ago

Hey hey hey....chill out you lot....its only a kitchen!!! And you'll probably never eat there so....why get so heated?! I like the kitchen tbh......the divider thing is different.. I like the idea of it but not sure I'd have it myself.....so listen you lot and remember that everyone is entitled to doing what they like in their own house!

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Very true honeypoppet.. However the Polls topic was to find out if people thought it was a hit or a miss.. and therefore it is "open" for debate or discussion.. I personally don't like the term "comment" as it's rather suggestive of negativity in my eyes which I do not like.. as it is not indicative of positivity or useful criticism or points of view.. if they are needed or requested.. Preferring the word suggestion personally and in this case it's a preferential hit or miss.... : ))

• User
    8 years ago
    What 'more info' icon???
  • rmmul
    8 years ago

where it says Old Amersham Kitchen under the picture- it says more info

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tom,

Knew I had seen this idea before.. Here is a Plain English (a favourite) version of the same but you'll notice it is actually a door like I had suggested. In this case it's a door but it could be sliding... : ))

• PRO
    Coppice Guild
    8 years ago

Since my previous comment I have now looked at the other photos (thanks Tom) which sadly confirm my suspicion that it does not relate to anything. I used to design for Plain English and can confirm that the divider would never have been specified in a way like this. I agree with AJ interiors in thinking that this was probably the inspiration though.

• PRO
    Arks Designers Limited
    8 years ago

I think its nice to have a divider in the kitchen like that.

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Although it looks nice, it is very impractical, particularly as this looks like a small kitchen. It reduces the working space and accessibility in the kitchen.

• PRO
    Barnaby Reynolds Design.
    8 years ago

Why reduce an already small working area?

• PRO
    User
    8 years ago

Great idea - an interesting concept

• PRO
    Skybrooke Design
    8 years ago

Looks like a bit of an afterthought.

• PRO
    David Pyatt Design
    8 years ago

Looks great, but….

Upsets access to the corner, perhaps more style over substance.

• PRO
    Jaga Designs Ltd
    8 years ago

I feel it breaks up the work surface.

• PRO
    Build My Space
    8 years ago

I have to say it's a miss! Reduced work space, it is very impractical

• PRO
    Kingshill Furniture
    8 years ago

This picture of one of our projects is definitely dividing the opinions! Our customer is a part time chef, she wanted an area in her large kitchen where she could store her ingredient jars as well as smaller kitchen appliances that was still on show and easily accessible but also in their own separate area. She had seen a similar idea elsewhere. Please have a look at the rest of the kitchen project pictures, there are two cooking areas and a very large island. For a smaller kitchen I agree that there could be better use of the space but it works very well in this instance. Who am I to argue anyway, our customer loves it! :)

• PRO
    Bespoke UK Ltd
    8 years ago

simple and nice!

• PRO
    Barnaby Reynolds Design.
    8 years ago

I've agreed previously with most that the screen seemed pointless. But this photo is actually misleading (context is everything as usual) when viewed as part of a whole this niche forms a kind of open pantry, which, is actually quite quirky. I like it.