webuser_71660

Chenille or crushed velvet headboard?

Tani H-S
8 years ago
Having only had metal framed beds before, I'm trying to choose a headboard online but struggling to know what is less tacky, chenille or crushed velvet??
I can't afford a linen one at this time and it would be a silver colour.
Do the crushed velvet ones look nice? I have a teeny sample to go off only, lol.

Comments (40)

• minnie101
    8 years ago

That's a hard one. Some crushed velvet can look lovely whilst others not so! Why don't you buy a secondhand headboard and staple gun some fabric on? That is even within my skillset and you're clearly good at diy!

• PRO
    Whitstable Island Interiors
    8 years ago

There are some great value headboards out there right now. Chenille is a great choice if you can't justify the budget for a linen headboard. I prefer chenille to crushed velvet personally, and, if you can't go to real cotton velvet, which like linen, go for chenille, which is cosy and durable.

Another way is to buy a very very cheap headboard, then buy some nice linen and stretch and staple this to your new headboard? It works! Let me know how you do and best of luck. x

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Well the headboard is only £40 ish with the fixings as well and it's done in the button style so it's not something I can replicate quickly and easily. A plain one I could handle, ha ha.
    Will see if I can post the link to the velvet one. It looks a nice colour tbh but maybe I need to visit some bed shops to get a better idea
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So the Chesterfield style one (shown with pillows)looks nicer but the fabric is quite a dark grey - nothing like the image.
    The other one has the silver velvet.
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Tani. Is this for the newly painted room? If so, i wouldn't go for the buttoned one as I'm not convinced the colour will go. The velvet looks fine in the pic but so hard to tell! I can't believe the price, that's much cheaper than making one?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I know, it's £45 for a king sized one! Lol. The velvet doesn't look too bad to be honest. The other colour is a bit too dark as it is for the new room.

Worse case if it's awful I can recover it as all the holes etc are there
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

I'd go for it. If it is bad then recover it, you won't get it much cheaper secondhand anyway I'm sure

• Clare P
    8 years ago
    I have just bought a chenille one in grey from eBay (new) and it is really nice. I was worried it might look tacky but it doesn't at all. I think the crushed velvet one would though.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    8 years ago

Crushed velvet is great as it diffuses light and adds visual interest. However it will be more of an attention grabber. Everything is relative so it all depends on how you are putting this room together. A room with luxurious signals is more likely to work with this headboard than a simpler or country look

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I will post a photo shortly of the room so far then. I'm still hesitant about the velvet as it's very - well noticeable as you say.

What's the velour like? Is that like a suede or a fine flat velvet? I can't remember!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @clare - was yours a dark grey? The colours on screen look too dark
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Excuse the lack of valance and pillows -still working on those! But the room is very pale greys, silvers and whites.

The wall will be decorated with mirrors etc once the headboard is up so we can centralise it.

The other image are the samples I have in the crushed velvet (right) and perhaps a velour on the left? (Didn't say velour with this seller but it's soft to touch)
    If I could find a paper version of the left one that would be ideal. They just never look like their pictures though! Lol
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Tani, Looking at your samples... I must say I really like the one on the left... It is bold and sophisticated looking whilst offering a starker contrast to the bedding? I do love the darker colours though and think it will work beautifully... why not use the other shiny one for some cushions or bolsters.. That way you have a bit of contrast.... The dark one would also work beautifully on a chair for the room as well... Also price is not always an indication of what's nice... Some really expensive companies have a lot of things that I find just awful! I love things that are affordable.. : ))

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you for the feedback.
    I will see if I can get some other samples then as the darker one - although I agree will contrast well, is just a tad too dark. Something a tone down would be better. Hard when they are so cheap to be fussy though, haha.

Thank you all!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So I've checked all the ones on eBay I can afford and got more samples, but they are all horrible. No plain dark grey (the last samples were 2 tone and bit cheap looking)

So I either have to go for the crushed velvet (my only hesitation was not trying to make the room too girly!)

Or, I found this wood headboard on a local selling site at £45 that I thought I could chalk paint in charcoal with perhaps the top section in silver leaf??
    What do you think? Would it work or not?

I won't be offended, ha ha.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Forget that, they have already sold the wooden one, sigh
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tani, That's a shame as I was going to say that sounds like a gr8 idea! All the lovely charcoals I want too are just out of my reach at present.. Designers Guild, Zoffany.. Sigh! Charcoal is my favourite.. well 1 of them! I'll have a think.. http://www.britishvelvets.com/products/ Try them, they sell to trade but can't see pricing.. No good they sell by the bolt! With that much you could do the entire house! Chap told me Northcroft fabrics sell smaller quantities.. : ))

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ha ha, yes. My local fabric/curtain shop sells some beautiful velvets but the ones I like are SO expensive! It's all order in as well so no chance of off cuts
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Give Nothrcroft fabrics a call.. I tried yesterday as I have a horrible sofa.. My cat the beauty she is decided to do some upholstery for me.. Loosely based on the whole ripped jeans effect! Not quite the look I want for my next publication.. So I too am on the hunt for some charcoal velvet.. If I get through I'll let you know.. Then it will be how to upholster with no upholsterer! (My Cat may well want to offer again! hahaha! : ))

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hey Tani. Two stupid questions but will ask anyway, have you tried on ebay for a wooden headboard? Also, I know you're moving so is a diy headboard attached to the wall out of the question ( you know where you just cover a piece of mdf in fabric) ? I like the chinoiserie styles (!) but you could use any fabric. I think they can look really stunning. It would only be a case of a bit of filler and paint when you move?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Not stupid questions at all Minnie
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tani, So I did get a call back... Velvets start for (Trade) from around £20 a m up to about £100 for the mohair velvet... That's a very nice headboard as it is though.. :))

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Omg, stupid ap! Minnie - I had written replies to your questions but it didn't post if. Arghhh! It does it all the time
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    As I was saying, lol...

Yes I look every day for a headboard online that's cheap enough or local but nothing as yet.

I could cover some wood etc but it was just the time aspect I'm lacking to make one.

The pic I posted is a Victorian cupboard door that, on its side, could work as a headboard. I have a pair so could make a tall one or just a single one. It needs sanding and filling though and some minor work removing hinges and filling the gaps etc so it's a bit time consuming.

I'm not sure whether to paint them as is in a charcoal chalk paint, or silver leaf them or, to paint around the edges and fill in the recesses with fabric?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    AJ - I bet the ones I like are more in the £100 range
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Omg, see - it's doing it again! Missing off the rest of my convo! Grrr

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I find a lot of the charcoal fabrics for the online headboards are really awful and nasty looking. That's how they make them so cheap so I guess
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    My fav colour in the velvet is that rich yellow green moss colour? Sofa works have a sofa called 'cricket' and it's like a jewel and I really wanted it, ha ha. Wasn't comfy though
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Yes I know what you mean Tani, All my favourite places are soo expensive.. I get some good discount too and even still.. Zoffany and Designers Guild have the most amazing velvets. I also love a mustard velvet and deep burnt orange.. On charcoal walls... Just looked at the Cricket... (do love a slow loris) It's a nice colour, do love a green too... Have you seen Orson in smoke or granite from Made.. It's quite droolsome.. : ))

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    No, I daren't anymore as I just get so jealous at all the lovely pieces and I'm stuck with a horrid old fashioned sofa.
    We do need some comfy 'coffee' chairs for our dining kitchen though so ...
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hey Tani. That's a shame you haven't found one yet. I finally found window shutters tall enough this week after month of searching ( and on the same day of emailing for a quote to have them made typically!) I do think the upholstered frame would be relatively quick and easy? In terms of the door, if you go for a single door, I would pop a bit of architrave on top. I Think the silver leaf could be very expensive and the delicacy of it may be at odds with the thickness of the door ( or there again that could actually make it work!). I quite like the idea of double doors but how tall is the ŵall? I think if you go for that option I would personally have a very distressed effect with white and grey paint, something like the attached ( hopefully less work). I would pile on the texture with the bed though https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/201767350/headboard-vintage-door-replica-by-foo?ref=market

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yes I'm thinking just fabric over a frame is much easier!

I took a photo with the frame in place so you could see what they look like
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    AJ - can you buy Made fabrics on their site? If I cover this door and buy some struts for it off eBay then I will need a nice charcoal fabric.

The room needs an injection of something dark and contrasting as it's all very pale at the moment which is not my thing, ha ha.

I want a true charcoal so nothing with green/blue tones in it so it's harder to find
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Tani, No I don't think so.. rather a shame.. I'm actually getting some samples sent from the company I mentioned.. I have really fabulous charcoal from Zoffany, but out of both our budgets at present.... So will let you know what the cheaper one's are like.. I like both single and double height.. They are very nice doors... I can see some dark charcoal bedlinen.. With a contrasting bedspread.. If you go for the double height.. The bedside cabinets could do with being a little higher.. Then you can have some boxy pillows too for dressing.. : ))

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Fab, thank you! (Re samples)
    I've already bought the bedlinen unfortunately but this one has a charcoal strip in it.
    I just need a nice textured charcoal bed runner to complete it and cushions.
    The pillows aren't on yet & I've also just ordered a charcoal balance as the 2 grey ones I bought had pink tinges to them! Really strange as different brands.

The only other side tables I have are more modern style so I swapped these from my master bedroom as they fitted better in there. They are pretty high though I'e 3-4" higher than the mattress?
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Most welcome Tani, I'll put a picy on when I receive them.. I think it will all work well what you have chosen. I do seem to love the whole pillow on the bed thing.. It's not at all practical... D'you know I counted 12 pillows on my bed! I do have to laugh at it! But it works... 2 are like a headboard in themselves.. Do you have some lamps to go with? I found some which I'd love for my bedroom.. : ))

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ha ha,I'm banned from too many pillows as well. Think my OH would hit me with them! Lol!

Cripes yes, still got lamps to buy. Thought I would leave those until I've decorated the bed so i can see what is needed.

Yours are very funky looking. Gold inside?
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Yes I think they are brass.. Would love them.. Have some geometric paper in the bedroom, yet to be papered.. but the lamps are a wish list which is about a 1000 miles long! :( I thought you could carry the charcoal theme into the lampshade, I'm looking for these too for the living room.. Silk charcoal on one side and a lovely cream on the inside, and a light glass would suit your tables and chandelier, anyway you may not like them... I'm just enjoying the grey theme immensely... :))