emmelinewe

Ideas for small gardens?

Emmeline Westin
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I see a lot of design dilemmas around small gardens and how to take advantage of a tiny plot. I thought it could be helpful to gather some ideas here.

How have you maximised your garden space? What tips can you share with the Houzz community?

Dulwich§ · More Info

Comments (14)

• egghead123
    8 years ago

I would tend to go for big planters in a small space, preferably all the same colour I.e. black.. then fill these with plants with large showy leaves like the agapanthus, fatsia and camellia which have beautiful blooms early in summer. Then some bamboo work well for privacy as in photo. Some good quality hard landscaping can really make a small space work well I.e. built in seating with storage inside. Lighting trees or specimen plants can look magical at night- it's a great effect when you see the light spreading up through the plant. Finally decent quality stackable outdoor furniture is a must for our climate, preferably something low maintenance that can handle a regular downpour..Ikea have some great chairs for outdoors that would fit the bill.

• PRO
    Linsey Evans Garden Design
    8 years ago

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote a while back about designing where space is limited. You need to make clever use of every inch of space. Another design trick is focusing the eye out of the confines of the space by using bold structures, like a chunky pergola to lead the eye upwards and away from the boundaries. Raised borders also work very well as they change how you look at the space, again, focusing the eye away from the boundaries and giving it something interesting to look at. Raised borders not only break up a space without encroaching too much, they are also dual purpose features that function as planters and seats.

Create built-in seating with storage underneath to maximise use of the space. Use bold geometric shapes in paving to create interest and, again, focus the eye away from the confines of the boundary. Use textural variation in materials such as pebble mosaic sheets for cladding/paving contrasting with smooth paving slabs such as honed Sandstone, or Granite to also give interest and something to look at within the space.

Choose plants very carefully so that they are multi-functional - evergreen, flowering and scented, for example. Plants must really be able to perform well in a small space - there is no room for anything that might spend a good part of the year looking sad because it has nowhere to hide.

• PRO
    Abigail's Gardens
    8 years ago
    Firstly thanks for using the photo of the Dulwich Project built by us and designed by Antonia Schofield.

Being based in London it is very common for us to design and build small gardens, personally one of my favourite small spaces was circa 10m2 and to increase the sense of space we used Perspex to reflect as much light as possible, went vertical with the planting and kept to a monochrome theme.
  • PRO
    North Leeds Garden Design
    8 years ago

All really good advice, definitely going up is key. There is some really nice slatted wooden screens which you can put over a fence or at the top of a wall if you cannot change all three sides to to look the same (often a problem in a densely populated area). Then use a mix of evergreen and deciduous climbers to draw the ye up. Patio Clematis are now available which grow to about a metre so can work really well in small spaces. Finally a small tree can lead the ye even higher and can bring welcome shade and privacy into a small garden. Acer palmatum (Japanese maple) is always a favourite and grows well in a large pot, it likes its roots gently constricted, also a Cercis canadensis, which has three seasons of interest with blossom and autumn colouring can work brilliantly.

• Charlie Brock-Lowthian
    8 years ago

I've done most of the above advice (got a Japanese Maple in the hidden corner thanks North Leeds), am training grapevines up the back wall, lots of biggish similar mixed planters, I have some tomato plants climbing up the left wall and they are providing interest. Plus lots of herbs as they add both nice smells and are useful for cooking. I just need to figure out something to do with the floor which is old, horrible, cracked concrete. I'm considering painting it in a patterned effect or just tiling it, Mediterranean style.

Bigger planters look much better than the small ones I originally had, it adds more impact and obviously allows for bigger, leafier plants.

Emmeline Westin thanked Charlie Brock-Lowthian
  • PRO
    North Leeds Garden Design
    8 years ago

Hi Charlie

It looks like you've really got the space working for you. I don't have any direct experience of painting concrete but I would be worried it would wear quite quickly with both weather and footfall. You could use artificial grass laid on a foam base which would help to iron out the levels. There is a good article I read on here about using it! It even comes in different colours if that appeals. Do post more photos when you've decided and done it, be good to see.

• Charlie Brock-Lowthian
    8 years ago

I am also worried it will wear too quickly. Plus I'll have to move everything out to do it which is currently putting me off! I shall investigate the artificial grass tho, that sounds quite interesting, especially about levelling it out. Thank you!

• Pamela Luna
    8 years ago
    Hi Charlie,
    International Paints has a good variety of primers and floor paints, including one to paint concrete floors in garages which may fit the bill.

I understand they have been reducing their range in the last few years, but it is worth a look.
  • Charlie Brock-Lowthian
    8 years ago

That sounds interesting, thanks Pamela. I'll check them out :)

• Fiona Tamplin
    8 years ago
    Ours is small and a funny triangle shape so we zoned it and angled everything at 45deg from the house which allowed us to get more in. Although the garden is a lot smaller following our house extension it feels and looks a lot bigger !
  • eilidha7
    8 years ago
    I think you should go plants like strawberries
  • Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's been a while since I posted this discussion and since summer is fast approaching I thought it'd be worthwhile revisiting. Any ideas how to overcome a small garden?

• Peter Butler
    6 years ago

If someone hasn't already mentioned it, the use of mirrors cleverly positioned will extend the garden visually.