sarah_mcnally3956874

Struggling with my tiny odd shaped garden

Sarah McNally
8 years ago

We have bought a new build and love it but the comprise was the small funny shaped garden. We like having BBQ's and people round for food, so we need a dining area, but also have a lovely rattan corner sofa I'd like to keep.

It also doesn't get the sun late - we're considering moving the shed (as it's a little sun spot) to the side gate as that bit might make a nice little sitting area / sun trap and also looks a bit nicer.

Should we keep the grass or just pave? Thinking about having planting troughs but then we'll lose a foot of space round the garden.

Based in Manchester, UK and would welcome contact for garden designers too!

Ps - fencing is now in (but you can see where it is meant to be!) By the black door there is now a water butt which can't be moved, so cannot put anything furniture wise there.

Comments (17)

• Sarah McNally
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Anyone?
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    8 years ago
    Is that a fence separating 2yards?
  • PRO
    Staged for Perfection
    8 years ago
    Ok I see you have a fence now so please post new pics
  • Sarah McNally
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Yea fence panels were not in but fence goes there. Pic you can see where sun is!
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Do you have a front garden? If not, i would add grass. I'm also assuming you want the patio slabs to stay? Agree with moving the shed but also the bins. Is the shed area big enough to house a pergola and your sofa, maybe with a black pergola to match the door? Looking at pic 2 I'd create a triangular bed from the left corner of the shed to create a small square lawn with differing height plants to disguise the fence. I'm struggling with angles of the left fence (looking out from the back door) but would add raised decking on the left to square off the lawn and have the decking as your dinng area. If budget permits, maybe a small round modern self-contained water feature on the path to the pergola or if not on the decking such as this. I would also look at ways to disguise the water butt and bins with panels and plants

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

I agree that you should move the shed and bins as they are clearly in the sunniest part of the garden, does it face due North or East?

Could you post a plan of the plot?

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

Another thought, if you don't have a lawn could you get rid of the shed or have a smaller version?

I would consider a mix of gravel and slabs or really good fake lawn in such a small tricky shaped space.

• Sarah McNally
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We have a large front garden yes - but wouldn't really sit out there.

Patio slabs can stay but happy to move/re-do its not huge area so not ££.

We are going to move the bins down the side - its hard as that is our drive so there is not alot of room. But deciding to sacrifice drive for more garden as I love a garden even if it is a small space!

sounds good like the idea of raised decking was thinking about that to add interest / might make it look bigger.

If it helps pic of site plan you can see what I mean re garden, shed and where parking is! We are number 12

• pannacotta
    8 years ago

Tricky space.

What direction does the back of the house face?
    Can the bins go in the front if you have lots of space there? Using willow screening to hide them all...

• PRO
    Rhino Rock llp
    8 years ago

Creating different levels in your garden will make the space appear to be bigger and add more points of interest. The above suggestion is good, creating the decking/seating area where you get the most sun. Keeping the grass section and adding stepping stones can give the area more character.

• Sarah McNally
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is ace - thank-you guys, really like the idea of a raised level think it will make it look bigger. We're def going to move the shed - we can't not really and shove the bins down the side somewhere. Thanks so much. Will promise to post pics when done!!! (Will be a while yet!!)

• Sarah McNally
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Really do appreciate this. Knew the garden would be small - the comprise we made for the house as everything else is ACE, but was a bit meh when I saw it - this has made me excited about doing it - so thank-you. It's going to be a very long term move so happy to invest in having something special.

• Gemma Nixon
    8 years ago
    Maybe paint the shed to inject a little colour and lighten it as well?
  • Sarah McNally
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you to all for your advice as you can see I took it and really pleased with the result.

Added extra patio for more space
    Flipped shed to other end and created side gate area to store bins
    Raised beds for plants
    Decking area added

Really pleased
  • Sarah McNally
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Obviously adding plants pots etc but looking good :-)
  • everylittlethingconsidered
    8 years ago

Looks fab:) good job and looks like you'll get great use out of it!