karen3051

Rod iron banister update!

Karen Mcg
8 years ago
We are moving to a new home and the foyer has an old white rod iron banister. The foyer is split and needs a new look. We are putting in hard wood also, which will help. Initially I wanted wood with rid iron black spindles. Our contractor said that would be a ton of money. Any suggestions on a budget to keep our rid iron but update on a budget?

Comments (16)

• cbailie
    8 years ago
    Just painting it black will make a big difference and be budget friendly.
  • PRO
    Will Johnson Building Company
    8 years ago

You might also consider adding a wood handrail. It could be applied to the top and add a lot of depth.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

"ton of money" is what contractors say when they don't know how much something will cost, or they don't want to do the job. it's not a ton of money, although it might be more than you'd like to spend at the beginning. it would be huge on the "bang for the buck" tho, to put in exactly what you want.

when you know exactly what you want, get a quote. til then, paint it a color that you'd like better than white. i wouldnt spend a dime adding to this set up tho if its not going to be what you want in the end.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

I think the current railing works really well with the mid-century stacked Permastone or Formstone in the upper hallway

• User
    8 years ago

I really like the current railing, love your stacked stone, and love the slate tiles in the foyer. I hope you are planning to keep the slate and are only doing wood on steps. I agree if you really want to, you could simply add wood railing to top have the rest of the railing painted black as suggested above and as shown in first photo below. You could also have the railing painted chrome as in the last picture. Here are some pictures that may give you some ideas.

River Respite · More Info

Caudill Lane · More Info

Mid Century Upgraded home · More Info
    Mid Century Modern Staircase · More Info

• Karen Mcg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks - everyone for your suggestions and validations on keeping my budget in mind. We are keeping the slate by the way and the steps will be darker wood the carpet by the stone wall will also be dark hard wood. I like the idea of crome or alternate color other than black. I wish I could see it finished prior to accepting this as a final decision. I am going to get a quote for my original vision (per contractor ~3k+) and scale back from there with these great ideas.

• Gayle Hansen
    8 years ago

I like the current rail! I think it will have a different look once you change the flooring and put your decor in!

• Karen Mcg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like that color - I just noticed that the spelling is

wrought iron - thanks for the correction :)

• PRO
    Studio Las Nubes
    8 years ago

I think the rail design is unique. Paint is your least expensive option. Have some fun and paint sections a few different colors to see what strikes a chord with you. It may surprise you to find a color you were not expecting to like. You may also want to create a material board so you can see all of the finishes/colors together. I find it always helps me to visualize the finished space.

• User
    8 years ago

After seeing palimpsest's picture of the suspended railing, I would really keep your railing as it is and find out about painting it-possibly in a silver/chrome finish or even a dark gray. You have a great, modern home. Keep us posted!

• Karen Mcg
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karen - I agree! I feel so inspired now~ Thanks everyone... Now - I need a cool light fixture!

• leelee
    8 years ago

Agree to paint the white wrought iron railing black especially with your budget in mind. It's the simplest, most non-invasive thing you can do. I don't think this should be a focal point but just blend in with your surroundings.

• disfromage
    8 years ago

I really like the railing and think painting it a new color is a great idea and will transform it. I'm a big fan of Fine Paints of Europe Hollandlac for this kind of application. It's a tough paint that applies beautifully and comes in wonderful colors. Have fun with it—red, mint green, something unexpected.

http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/classic_european.aspx

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I agree you should keep the railing. I'm chiming in to suggest that this house looks like a mid century gem and that you should be careful before you make wholesale changes. The stone wall, slate floors, skinny windows are all hallmarks of MCM design, and the previous owners clearly didn't know what they had here as evidenced by the light fixture and that wood thing over the entry door.

If you fully embrace the MCM style, this house looks like it can be a knockout.

• miacometlady
    8 years ago
    MCM pendants are all over the place in terms of design, so I would research what you like. If you paint the rail black as a first line of attack, which seems reasonable, you could find a pendent that has some black in it!