brownsafemanufacturing

Poll: Walk-in wine cellar or free-standing wine cellar?

Brown Safe Manufacturing, Inc.
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Which is the better choice? And why?

Walk-in wine cellar
Free-standing wine cellar

Comments (7)

• User
    9 years ago

Freestanding is easier to control temp, and is not a complete custom job.

Brown Safe Manufacturing, Inc. thanked User
  • Stephanie
    9 years ago
    A walk-in cellar with a secured door allows for better security and is a great feature in a home.
    Brown Safe Manufacturing, Inc. thanked Stephanie
  • PRO
    WineOhh
    8 years ago

Depends on how many bottles you want to store, and what kind of space you have. If you have lots of both - go for the cellar !

• PRO
    Washington Valley Cellars
    8 years ago

It is a totally different mind set between a walk in cellar and a free standing one. A walk in cellar, although more expensive, gives you many more options. Of course, you are limited on capacity with a free standing cellar. But, all in, I prefer the walk in room.

• osprey4356
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've had both a walk-in luxe cellar and a free standing one. Younger home buyers aren't really interested in built in wine cellars. In fact a lot of home buyers aren't interested. In my experience it didn't add anything to the sale price of a home. The perceived value was only in our heads! From the buyer's perspective they discounted it. Realtors call it "obsolescence". So now we have a walk in wine vault, basic and does the job. The real pleasure is in drinking great wine with food and with our friends in whatever setting we choose. We learned you don't need a fancy wine cellar for that. Wine cellars are primarily ego driven. The wine vault isn't a permanent fixture in the house so if and when we move, the vault comes with us. How easy is that?!

• PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    3 years ago

We've had trouble in Florida with refrigeration companies maintaining and fixing wine rooms when there are issues.
    The Sub Zero large fridges keep things at a perfect temp, and they can be worked on if there is an issue. I like to incorporate them into a room off the bar etc. so you can have the best of both worlds... Having two, half full units gives you a back up plan in case one goes down. The wine room is great, but I'm keeping my prized bottles in a Sub Zero.