bratliff1972

Need help in my living room

bratliff1972
9 years ago

So I am in the process of decorating the great room/living room in a new home. Can't figure out what to do for a coffee table for the sectional. Floors are dark brown. sectional is taupe ( once the final piece arrives it will measure 138 (along the kitchen side )X108 (along the window side) with the opening for coffee table measuring 100X70. The extra piece is going just to the right of where the dog is standing in this picture :)

Plan to keep the two brown leather chairs for now. The ottomans can stay or go but wont continue to use them as side tables once I buy some side tables.

Area rug is cream and taupe. Plan to either buy curtains or roman shades. And replace light fixture in background hanging over 60inch round kitchen table.

The room is approx 18X19.

Am stuck on what to do for a coffee table and side tables. I like both of these items from Restoration hardware. https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1593167&categoryId=cat1830037

And this one

https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod3040814&categoryId=cat3270153

Open to suggestions on size and color or something else all together.

Comments (116)

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. Would love some suggestions for art over the fireplace.

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

http://www.houzz.com/user/sassy33. Yes. She likes to be the center of attention so she is in most pictures. Spoiled rotten.

• Related Discussions

need help for my living room...

Q

Comments (7)
    You need art on the wall and a rug and color! Your first step is to purchase an inspiration piece. That piece will either be a rug or a large piece of wall art. That sets the color palette for pillows chairs windows and walls. Wall color is last. Find out if you can have electricals inside the wall. I am guessing you are not in US and house is solid brick or this is a basement space as it looks quite industrial.
    ...See More

Need help for my living room

Q

Comments (3)
    oh I thot I hv posted the pics coz it showed me like tht
    ...See More

Need help with my living room's renovation

Q

Comments (7)
    first of all, Thank you guys for those valuable inputs. yes, as far as cleaning goes, its just been finished installing and I have asked them to clean them up. And also, I observed that the frosting on the glass didn't look that good, so I am going for the filming on certain portions of the doors n windows. - Is there a particular quality of films that I may choose for this ? - Yes, lighting is definitely the criteria I had in mind which can bring up the finish to this. And i am worried about this , as I did not go for False Roofing, bcos the ceiling is already at a low height. I should really refine my ideas on the lighting part. - the stairs are floored with white Marble stone..My mom loves it and the matting on it might hinder its beauty, but yes I will surely consider that as well. Thank you again.
    ...See More

NEED HELP FOR MY LIVING ROOM

Q

Comments (2)
    You need to specify what kind of help you need.
    ...See More
  • happyleg
    9 years ago

Pick colors from room. Good choices are green or blue red,orange, yellow for your art.

bratliff1972 thanked happyleg
  • Susan Davis
    9 years ago

Ballard had a beautiful round tufted ottoman called Hayes. One of many possibilities. Shopping is such fun!

bratliff1972 thanked Susan Davis
  • bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the more I am looking at things the more I think I want to go with a rug like this and move the current rug to the dining room. Will give the living room a bit more of a laid back feeling with a pop of color. Thoughts ??

Admiral's House · More Info

• Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

Love the idea of adding color to the space via a different rug. However this light color is too close to the light color sofa and is too subtle. I'd opt for something a bit bolder to offset the bold brown you have in the room. Before you settle on a rug color, find a piece of art above the fireplace that you love. Find a color in the art that you carry through in the rug. I wouldn't put a mirror above the fireplace as I think you need some color higher. Visually your room is centered no higher than eye level so it looks a bit bottom heavy.

bratliff1972 thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

As for ideas for artwork, it's so personal. Depends what style you like. Something calming like this?

Or something more expressive like this?
    Or perhaps a modern floral?

Something simple and graphic?

Find something that makes you smile. Then introduce a color from there.

bratliff1972 thanked Barbara Almandarz
  • PRO
    Exeter Handkerchief Company
    9 years ago

ARKfabric provides fabric design solutions for designers and homeowners. Hundreds of coordinated fabrics are available to browse on our website. Our sample size is twice the size of an Ipad. Hopefully these design solutions begin to help you look at the sum of the parts, not a singular design element.

• Susan Davis
    9 years ago
    I am always liking more color but do think you need some art work over the FP and then glean a color or colors from the art.
  • bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am liking this kind of style and color maybe

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• Susan Davis
    9 years ago

fyi loomdecor also does curtains and has fun fabric.

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• Anne
    9 years ago

I really like the new layout, too. I know someone suggested a round ottoman, but if you are still thinking about the first table you posted--are you a DIY person? I've seen a lot of DIY projects on Pinterest for creating a Restoration Hardware coffee table a lot like that one. Sorry if someone suggested that already--there are a lot of comments here :)

bratliff1972 thanked Anne
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 years ago

bratliff, how much space do you measure inside your molding, side to side and top to bottom.

bratliff1972 thanked karen paul interiors
  • PRO
    Cocoweb
    9 years ago

If you are planning on installing art or picture frames on your walls, you should definitely check out our Art Lights. These LED lights will not harm the art piece, It will provide enough light to make them stand out. Take advantage of 5% off March Madness sale

Cocoweb Tru-Slim Series LED Picture Light, Antique Brass · More Info

• Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

Love our choices - very lively yet calming. What fun!

• Toni
    9 years ago
    For your art, it would look amazing to pick up some brown tones. Like image 1 at 5:42. However, I'm in the opinion that art doesn't have to match anything in the room! Probably because we have maritime art by John Stobart but none of the blue colors in our space!
    I'm assuming the additional section of sofa is going on the side that points toward the TV?
    bratliff1972 thanked Toni
  • Toni
    9 years ago
    soosun...do you have an Etsy shop?
  • bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

karen paul interiors the molding over the fireplace is 48 wide by 37 high . that is the interior measurements. Honestly I am not sure how I feel about the molding. At first I thought I liked it but now I am considering pulling it off or covering it with a larger art piece.

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anne I do like the first restoration hardware table but I think folks on here have convinced me that it might not be the way to go. I like their idea of a round coffee table ottoman. Am thinking I may go in that direction.

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toni yes I was planning on putting the extra piece of the sectional along the side that points toward the TV

• craljh
    9 years ago

I love your dog !!! Those are his pillows aren't they.

bratliff1972 thanked craljh
  • daybydaybyday
    9 years ago

What a pretty home you have! I love your dining chairs, barstools, and media console, and the floor plan of the entire space is awesome.

I was just about to comment and say to move your sectional, but you already did. :-) I absolutely LOVE it in the new location!

As much as I adore that trunk coffee table from Restoration hardware, I'd have to go with something oval or round. Another large piece with corners in that room would feel so harsh and stuffy.

I am in agreement that the colorful rug would be gorgeous in your living room! It would be the perfect place to have color and pattern. The current rug would look fantastic in a dining room, so that would be a great change.

Patterned pillows on the sofa to coordinate with the rug would look really pretty.

I would hang something round in the space above the fireplace mantle......a round shape would not compete with the square moulding that would be surrounding it.

The room is screaming for a lamp. I have lamps in my bedrooms that I don't even use just because I think they are pretty. haha But I have 5 in my living room -- all of which are used every night -- all around the perimeter of the room for nice, even, soft light for TV watching, and also have 2 wall sconces on a dimmer in there. I really dislike overhead light in a living room, and hate watching TV in the dark like my parents tend to do at their house. :-)

Everything is coming along nicely and looks absolutely lovely!

• Toni
    9 years ago
    Great idea to try placing the rug going with the length of the room. Especially since you're adding another section on that end of the sectional.
    I would go with a square or round coffee table. Go with something that has legs without a 'shelf' bottom (that sits on the rug) so it doesn't look heavy. Would you consider a glass top? Maybe even with a wrought iron/metal frame?
    Your home is lovely! Love your open floor plan!
    bratliff1972 thanked Toni
  • Toni
    9 years ago
    I do like this ottoman/coffee table from Karen's ideabook!
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Need help in my living room · More Info

Bratliff, Is this a good image for you or did you want more subdued? Measurements are good. Canvas.Image:40.00" x 32.00"Frame Width:0.31"Overall:40.63" x 32.63"

Landscape 022511 Canvas Print / Canvas Art By David Lane · More Info

• Susan Davis
    9 years ago

I do not have an Etsy shop.Why do you ask? Curious thats all.

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 years ago

Image:40.00" x 26.13"Frame Width:0.31"Overall:40.63" x 26.76"

Abstract Landscape - The Highway Series Canvas Print / Canvas Art By Michelle Ca · More Info

• suzyq53
    9 years ago

With your sectional being longer on one side, you probably need a rectangular coffee table. That may not be the most visually striking solution, but in terms of living, a coffee table is pretty useless if you can't reach it. Maybe something rustic to go with the TV console. I like the way the furniture is arranged now. And you're getting lots of great ideas to finish the space. I think your dog has hidden some treats behind the sofa pillows - mine does.

bratliff1972 thanked suzyq53
  • Toni
    9 years ago
    soosun only because I ordered some gift on Etsy from a woman named soosun!
  • Susan Davis
    9 years ago
    Here is a big ottoman that you might consider for an inspiration piece?
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 years ago

This was has good measurements and can be ordered in other leathers or fabrics. I think it will feel a lot lighter generally than some of the other ones we have seen. Thoughts?

Ottoman | Bernhardt · More Info

• PRO
    Juliana Ferrazzi
    9 years ago
    Hi there. The quatrefoil ottoman you posted is perfect! Exactly what I would show you if I was designing your space. Don't be afraid to keep things neutral. It can be very elegant. Attached is a room I did of all neutrals. Stick with your warm tones and creams and browns. It will be comfortable,cozy and elegant. Best of luck.
    bratliff1972 thanked Juliana Ferrazzi
  • Avery
    9 years ago

Hi, you may want to also check out Mitchell Gold for potential cocktail ottomans. I think they've got a great selection with lots of fabric choices. Some with tufting and some without. I especially like their ones with lucite legs and brass legs. They also have ones with stainless or darker metal legs (to help pull in other elements in the adjacent space.....it's hard to tell what you may have in your kitchen).

Here's the link:

MGBW Ottomans

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@ karen paul interiors I prefer the art of the Highway series ( the second one you posted) to the first one. I am not a fan of purples so the first one didn't speak to me as much. And I do like the Bernhardt ottoman you posted above. Are you thinking rectangular rather than round?

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

groveraxle any possibility you could work your photoshop magic with a coffee

ottoman, linen curtains and some art work above the fireplace?

• gtcircus
    9 years ago
    I was just at the Chicago Merchandise Mart and saw a couple of great ideas. You have a beautiful place, love the kitchen! You could go with a silver and glass option which would tie in your kitchen. The sectional is rather bulky especially with the beautiful kitchen, so I hate to suggest a wood or ottoman for the space. You need some sparkle to make it seem more open.
  • gtcircus
    9 years ago
    Saw the rest of the photos. Loose the sectional. Way too big.
  • bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

so if I lose the sectional what furniture would you suggest? Truth be told that I really hate the style of this sectional even though it is brand new. less than 3 months old. I would rather go with two couches and some chairs. but again hate to start over again with an investment that large at this point

• PRO
    karen paul interiors
    9 years ago

Wait, you have another section on order and you hate the style of the sectional....and you want to develop a room around something you hate?

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The other piece has been on order for a while. And although I don't like the sectional I don't want to scrap it at this point as I have already invested quite a bit in it . Am hoping that designing the room will pull it together a bit more and I won't dislike the couch so much. I like the color and I like that it is a sectional. It is just the lines I don't like.

• gtcircus
    9 years ago
    OK, well, I don't have the money to loose everything I picked and then regretted. So my best option is to find a way to make things work, including your sectional. Trust me I understand, you may have a spouse who loved the sectional or brought it from another space. The trick is to use what you have and make it work.

Can you make the sectional smaller and still use part of it? Wrapping around the room seems oppressive to me, but it is not my house. I think shrinking it will help. I would also add some color and punch to the pillows and bring the chairs closer. It is suppose to be a conversational area.

Let it flow from the kitchen so people can WALK into the space. With the sectional backed up to the kitchen it reminds me of the Berlin Wall (joke), but you get my point. So I would loose the part of the sectional that creates the barricade to the kitchen. That way you can reuse it. Let me know what you are thinking about for the windows, plantation shutters or drapes. I really like your space so far and I am jealous. It is beautiful, but go for lighter with flow. Life is a transition, where we merge our past, present and future, including the possessions around us. Embrace it!
  • gtcircus
    9 years ago
    Yes, loose the corner and one section and bring the end around and you will be find. You need to be able to walk into the room.
  • happyleg
    9 years ago

I would move down the leather chair away from sectional along with table. So it's closer to the console. It will be easier to get into room.

• Avery
    9 years ago

Hi bratliff1972, I totally understand how you feel. We've been down that road too just recently and then ultimately decided to start over (pretty much) in our living room. Thankfully we had other rooms to move the pieces (originally intended for our family room) to......so it wasn't a total loss.

In your case, maybe a good solution or compromise is to remove the leather chairs and replace them with just one new chair -- similar to the style of the ones you saved in your ideabook (posted below).

I'm thinking that once you get the missing sectional piece, keeping both leather chairs in the space may make the room feel too cramped or overcrowded. In that case, you may end up wanting to keep just one of the leather chairs in the space anyway. So instead (and if it's possible), relocate both leather chairs into another room and bring in a lighter fabric chair in the style that better correlates with the one you seem to like....one that's more traditional with feminine lines. The chairs you have at your kitchen table and island appear to have those similar (traditional/feminine) lines (?) ..... If so, then the new chair could help bring that style into your family room....without having to start from scratch.

Estates at Cohasset Elkton · More Info

bratliff1972 thanked Avery
  • Barbara Almandarz
    9 years ago

I love the new set up you have. Since that added sectional piece has been on order for so long, can you cancel it? 3 months seems an inordinate amount of time. Unless of course you need that much seating in the room.

• bratliff1972
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Avery I like that idea quite a bit. The chairs really darken things up. Also think having two might be too crowded.

• Toni
    9 years ago
    Maybe you could find a small chaise? Perhaps a recliner? Best bet is maybe simply a gorgeous chair!
  • PRO
    KCB Construction
    9 years ago

Love what you already have so far...and the RH coffee table you linked goes very well with the current coffee colors. This should be a "before & after" post !