leilanijensen

Paint color for kitchen

leilanijensen
11 years ago
Hi, I am struggling to find a good paint color for my Seattle kitchen. We get a lot of grey light here, so I am looking for something warm, welcoming, and happy, but not too bright or pastel. I am painting the dining room Olive green, and the living room a golden yellow, and both of these rooms are connected and visible from the kitchen, so flow is important. Any ideas?

Comments (40)

• charleee
    11 years ago
    My first thought is sage green, which would go well with the olive and the yellow. Are you going to replace the overhead light? Looks amazingly like mine, only yours is better!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Hi, do you have a paint sample of the Olive Green you are thinking of using? Sometimes going with a lighter shade of the same color family will help tie the rooms together.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I'd go a shade or two lighter than your olive green in the kitchen.
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    11 years ago
    Great suggestion michigammemom, the Woodland White is beautiful for this space. Something with a blue tint could be nice as well.
  • leilanijensen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    How would i post the paint sample of the Olive greens I am thinking of using, Dytecture? I can say that they are both Martha Stewart, one is called Oolong tea and it is a nedium Olive with a bit of gold in it, and the other is an intense Olive called Mossy Rock. Here is at least a picture of the swatches on the dining room wall!
    And yes, Bobbi P, we are putting in canister lights. That flourescent box has got to go!

Also, thinking subway tile backsplash, either off white or a color to compliment whatever wall color we choose.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I certainly prefer the lighter of your two samples. You'll have an extremely dark green if you go with the darker one.
  • leilanijensen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, I am afraid to go too dark. Leaning toward the lighter of the two!
  • winterriver
    11 years ago
    I wonder if a green would seem warm enough in that lightless space. I'd go with a lighter version of the living room's golden yellow instead.

In my north-facing dark kitchen I have a pale yellow that's warm and classic, not pastel. BM Philadelphia Cream. In a small sample it looks like a dirty tan, but on a wall its yellow tones take over. It goes well with both my pine cabinets and my cherry furniture.
  • leilanijensen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hmmm. Just havent loved any of the yellows i have looked at with the cabinets. They seem to compete, rather than compliment.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Orange of course! Be bold and make the color quite a statement, since your kitchen is quiet from a design point of view. Depending on your other colors in the adjacent rooms, you could go anywhere from tangerine to coral to pumpkin.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    My vote stays with a creamy sage :)
  • leilanijensen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Bobbi P, any suggestions on a creamy sage you love? And to the person who suggested orange, if I could get my husband to go for a pumpkin color, I might. Not gonna happen! He is not into that bold a color. Oh well.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Which brand of paint are you using? I will look for one for you once I know this. And I would love JUST ONE pumpkin wall!!! But my husband would hate it too.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I know, orange can be a hard sell. But if you call it copper, or fall leaves, or sunshine, or persimmon, or cinnabar...I admit, my favorite is a bright citrus orange, but none of my walls are that color. My door, the big pots on the front porch, and my favorite chair in the living room are that color. Sometimes a darkish room in a gray climate like Seattle can really benefit from some deep, rich or bright color. I live in the SF Bay Area, so it is almost as gray here as Seattle.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    mimibrunner, Marin County? I live in San Joaquin County, it's always HOT HOT HOT here!
  • User
    11 years ago
    I work in SF, live across the bay in the foggy part of north Oakland. I envy your hot weather! But if I lived there, I would probably paint everything white, and have a few touches of citrus orange and turquoise--overlooking a pool! Just dreaming...
  • changeisprimo
    11 years ago
    I used Colombia paint in a color called Plume Grass with a nearby closet wall that is like an island in the hallway that is painted a darker color of Colombia French Pear. Plume Grass was the perfect shade of sage green that did not turn minty green. I still love it after 4 years - it seems to bring the outside in and look nice in every season. Try painting sample paints on a poster board. it gives you a big sample to hold up to the wall and prevents you from picking the wrong green. It helped me anyway. Good luck!
  • User
    11 years ago
    My own kitchen (and living room and dining room, all connected) is painted Copley Gray by Ben Moore, with White Dove trim and ceilings. My cabinets are white and stainless steel, with a taupe-y colored island, and white Caesarston counters. So if you want to go dark, consider painting the cabinets white, and add lots of different kinds of light on dimmers, so you can get a subtle yet dramatic effect in those long dark winters. And of course, orange accents!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    That's funny! We just moved here from Scum Leandro. I worked in West Oakland (right by the Cypress) for a few years. I took BART everyday, and looked for something closer when my car was stolen from the BART parking lot. Small world!
  • leilanijensen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am using Benjamin Moore and Martha Stewart colors , Bobbi. The Martha Color I am leaning toward for the dining room is called Oolong tea. There is a color ( also Martha ) that is called Parchment Paper that is a consideration for the kitchen , if you have access to sewing these colors. Really love Mossy Rock by Martha for Dining room, but probably too dark... Love me some Olive green!
  • User
    11 years ago
    With all that maple color in the cabinets and floors, and white counters and appliances, I'm thinking olive green might not be quite right. Are you keeping everything else as is (you mentioned that you are changing the lighting).
  • User
    11 years ago
    Bobbi P, what color is your kitchen? And I never heard "Scum" Leandro called that--very funny!
  • leilanijensen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    In answer to Mimi Brunner, we are changing the lighting, getting a new white gas range, and probably a subway tile backsplash on both sides under cabinets
    . And paint- that is the budget! I am just so flummoxed by the color of those cabinets. Husband won't go for painting them, they are good cabinets and in good condition.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    My kitchen cabs are appliance white, with white appliances, Behr denim light on the inside of the cabs where I removed the doors, copper countertops.

leilanijensen, great choice on the white gas range! I love white appliances, stainless are nice but I don't believe in making more work for myself. And I really do love your cabinets. They are a neutral color and have modern hardware!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Bobbi P, love the idea of denim interiors and copper countertops! Orange and turquoise!!!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Thanks!
  • leilanijensen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Bobbie, I struggled like crazy about whether to go white or stainless steel when we suddenly needed a new fridge after just buying this house. I really do like stainless, but this glossy white seemed so timeless, and this is an old house that I don't want to look too modern or contemporary. I like a farmhouse feel to kitchens. Plus I hear white appliances are making a comeback! So far, zero fingerprint issue , gotta love that as a busy mom!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    leilanijensen, on my monitor Oolong Tea is reading very green/gray; I like Benjamin Moore georgian green HC-115,it's a beautiful safe but again this is on my monitor. You really need to see it in person to get the real color. [houzz=
    Peterson Park Addition · More Info
    ]
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    leilanijensen, I live on a one-time purchase only kind of budget, I simply cannot afford to change appliances based on their color alone!! And white is timeless, unlike avocado green and harvest gold. I truly believe all big ticket item should be as neutral as possible, furniture included. It's easier (and cheaper!!) to change accessories, window treatments and linens. And that is why I love your cabinets!!!
  • leilanijensen
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    yes, I do like the greyer greens, I must admit. The fresh greens are gorgeous, just not for me
    . I like some muddiness in them, I guess.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Well, then, there you go! Remember that regardless of what everyone else might want to do with your kitchen, you are the one who has to be happy!
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    My first thought , too , like earlier comments is a green color. A Neutral tan color or A lighter olive green color that you use in the dining room would work on the walls and go with the nice honey tone of your wood cabinets.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    You know, Anita, that's a really good idea. The color in the dining room reduced by 25% or 50%?
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Maybe you got some orangey undertones in the maple. How about maybe a yellow orange? It is a very popular color in Germany, which is grey most of the year. It is sort of a pastel cousin to goldenrod, and can be quite cheerful and pretty. Somtime it bordered on the yellow side of peach. I don't see this color much here, but I like it, and it looks great with olive green.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Very nice--you know I like the peachy-orange variation. What works so well in these photos is bringing in the olive green that L loves...L, if you show your husband this beautiful kitchen photo, I bet he would go for painting some of the cabinets olive green.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Thanks, Bobbi P. Your opinion is valued.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Orange is an absolutely gorgeous color, in the right place. And I don't think the right place is with these cabinets which have some yellow in their coloration. Looking at the opposite side of the color spectrum with find us some good results.
  • PRO
    Brian's Home Repairs
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Try out a virtual paint estimator. You can upload pics of your room and crop parts of the image, tryout different colors to see exactly what it will look like.

There's a link to one on my website http://www.diyhomefixtips.info/index.html
    11 years ago
    Benjamin Moore Mustard Fields is a yellow with a hint of mustard green