chitu

Need help to organize my TV and music system and curio wall.

chitu
11 years ago
We live in an open concept condo and we have got this old oriental entertainment unit converted to a Bar.Now I want to organize the TV AND CURIOS on a floating wood and glass shelving system that will go with this bar . I am stuck and need help. also need help with the paint color.Somebody out there please help. We are seniors with very ltd resourses and cant afford to hire professionals,

Comments (25)

• pruner
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    To help with your dilemma, some more information....
    do the doors at the top of the cabinet swing forward and then close
    does the fabric of the settee and armchair the same
    what does the window behind the settee lead to
    do you have any colour preferences, or a piece of art/scarf/photo etc. you would like to see in the room
    how much time is dedicated to the tv in the room as opposed to other activities currently
    is your unit on the ground floor or on a higher level?
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I would go with some color on the walls and asymmetry to keep the modern vibe.
  • PRO
    FIOBALA
    11 years ago
    You've got some great pieces to start with, so you can re-do the room on a relatively low budget--

First-- divide and conquer. With two starkly contrasted sofas you can re-invent two spaces in this over-sized rectangular room--

Place your Chinoiserie cabinet with your leather sofa on the right side with the glass table-- the bar angled in the corner and the Tv on it's stand flush with the wall (focal point)

Create a "U-shape with the other two matching sofas around the window (focal point)

I'd ditch the modern looking chair and look for something "Regency" to go with your Chinoiserie bar

I'd keep the two formal accent chairs and place them on the side facing the window

Add some gold pillows to your leather couch and white pillows to your sofa set this will tie the two spaces together and keep a seamless living area

Good luck
  • Cynthia Hamil
    11 years ago
    I agree with the comment earlier that your room needs more color. I have taken the time to go through hundreds of photos and pull my very favorite rooms into different files based on the design concepts that seem to pop. I now have about 200 different photo files based on different things that I see within each room that call my attention.

In doing this, I finally narrowed down my very favorite living rooms -- to see what type of trends I was drawn to overall.

I highly recommend this process--
    You can do this over the period of a few days or a week, just spending a couple of hours a day sorting through the photos on the designer pages within this site.

Here are my very favorite living room designs-- they all start having some things in common and there seems to be a strong thread here of having different pops of color that really pull the rooms together.

This may give you some ideas of how to collect your own living room interior idea files-- which can help you figure out what you are continually drawn to. If you are a couple making this decision-- then I recommend that you both select photos and narrow it down to the pics that you both like.

Here is my favorite living room interior file-- there are some great ideas within each pic. I hope this helps!

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/4967162/thumbs/My-Favorite-Living-Room-Designs
  • Cynthia Hamil
    11 years ago
  • Cynthia Hamil
    11 years ago
    Here's an idea file on my favorite accented painted walls -- http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/4682705/thumbs/Painted-Accent-Wall-Ideas
  • chitu
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all who have been so kind in taking the time to answer my concerns.I relly really appriciate the help and will put up some more pictures as we go along,
    cynthia I am definately going to look through yr files and make a note of all theideas.I definately want to ditch the modern accent chair and the curved glass table.I want to get an ottoman in that TV area so we can put our feet up and relax and also store our blankets and pillows in it.I think a square one would be better than a rectangle in that space.I will also take pics of the art I have and post it then maybe I will be able to get some ideas on color.Our condo is on the 4th flr.so it is the penthouse of a low rise apt..It is a brand new bldg and a new concept for ottawa which has a growing senior population. we just have the builders basic paint on the walls, We have been getting a few cracks on the walls here and there so paint will be the last project as we have the builders warranty for a yr.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    That modern chair might go in second bedroom/office - the lamps on tables need to come out from corners when you rearrange your space and the lone mirror piece above sofa looks too small - actually like your furniture pieces - and am glad to here of your great new spot to live -
  • carolannr
    11 years ago
    I like the idea of the similar sofas in a corner in front of the windows with the ocasional chairs (shown in front of the windows) forming the other side of the U. The bar cabinet doors should be closed unless in use and placed perhaps at the end of the leather sectional replacing the small table and lamp. A large ottoman with tray on top could replace the clear coffee table for relaxing.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    I think you should move the sectional sofa over to where the other sofa is, wrapping it around that wall and the window. The rug could stay, but get a large art piece in place of the mirror on the wall. Space a few chairs around and that area could be your conversation area.

I would separate the curio cabinet from the tv. They compete with each other. Put one or the other on the wall that the leather sofa is on. I don't think floating glass or wood shelves would work very well for the tv components and cords. Look for a piece to house those that the tv could sit on or be mounted above.

Pick out a couple of comfortable chairs or the upholstered sofa to face the tv area for viewing.

You have some black in the room already, and I would add more, and be sure to spread it around the room in more pillows for the other sofa, in lamps, additional area rug, table top accessories, art.
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    11 years ago
    Build them in, using a unified design, so that they look like the belong permanently, rather than on temporary lease as they currently look.
  • rrru
    11 years ago
    I agree with Cynthia & Vikrant on the colour recommendation. You may even consider a brighter carpet ..
  • Rhonda
    11 years ago
    You have a wonderful start, but you do need a little color. The medium tan that is in your rug would really warm the space. Paint the ceiling a shade lighter but leave the vertical spaces in your ceiling white to add interest. There appears to be a deep red in your room, that would be a beautiful accent color for the space. Just find a couple of pillows and a few red vases. I'm not understanding what you want done with the curio & TV.
  • Rhonda
    11 years ago
    Yes, you need a much larger mirror and a few more pieces of art on your walls
  • Sanjeev Sharma Kumar
    5 years ago

You have all the reasons to redo the house, its very lifeless and looks worn out. I feel creating a separation will terminate the spaciousness of the room. Adding colours will surely help, Since you have a tan color sofa,I suggest grey, white or light blue color on one of the walls. Add some art works of the color you chose for the wall. This room needs some fillers like , books, throws, candle stands tall and lean. YES DON FORGET 1. Mount the tv on the wall make some space on the floor and Fix a large size mirror ( Wooden Frame if you can afford).

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    5 years ago
    This is a 5-6 years old post.
  • Sanjeev Sharma Kumar
    5 years ago

I didnt see that, However, post is generic and can help others. For me it came as Learning

• PRO
    5 years ago
    Sanjeev,

We all make that small mistake sometimes. Please don't mind the comment.
  • Sanjeev Sharma Kumar
    5 years ago

No not at all, Glad to see someone correcting ,

• Sanjeev Sharma Kumar
    5 years ago

Since u have been helping me , please suggest if there is a course online

• PRO
    5 years ago
    Course for ?
  • Srinath Ma 9972002888
    5 years ago
    Small suggestion, TV placement need to be changed...or the sofa seating need to be directional towards the TV..
  • PRO
    IDUS Furniture Store
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Great requirement for a re-do to the place. The interiors are a bit dull and flowing in one tone. Why don't you just use some pop colors, paint your walls or merely use designer wallpapers to brighten your interiors. Keep your room clutter-free for a neat look that will create more visible space in the room.

• Sanjeev Sharma Kumar
    5 years ago
    like me you also didn't notice that it's an old post. But you information is worth reading