msypitcher

Judges Panel

msypitcher
11 years ago
I'm thinking about about buying a house that has a family room that is entirely paneled with Judges Panel. Although it is beautiful this isn't the look I want for my family room, its totally not my style. Any suggestions for painting the room and how to make it tie in with the rest of the house that has dry and white molding and trim?

Comments (17)

• Alison
    11 years ago
    I find the ceiling really distracting and would make them all one colour (maybe a heavy cream or light tan... What about staining the walls a really deep colour and then leaving the blinds and mantel .... if you don't keep those then there really isn't much left to paint... It would look better with the brick...
  • razzle123
    11 years ago
    i would def paint the ceiling ones i agree a tan or cream.then depending on how much space there is at the bottom of the stairs i would do a build in entertainment center in front of those windows. then i would move the tv to that wall so you can still enjoy the tv and the fireplace without having to watch both.at the same time.i would lose the small mantel and make columns on either side and make it bigger again a cream or tan color or pale grey is pretty too . you can always add a pop of color with pillows and things. i would do a small sectional sofa and a great leather ottoman that also has storage in it. has lots of great potentional
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    11 years ago
    Do you have pictures of the rest of the house?
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    Painting all the wood grey would contemporize the room and coordinate with the brick. Paint the ceiling the same or a few shades lighter.
  • msypitcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for your suggestions. @ Kelli here is a picture of the living room... The furnishing arent mine.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Your fireplace has grey brick; if you paint all the wood grey you are going to have one huge grey room. I would paint the ceiling beams to match the ceiling, but I would paint the wood off-white.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Pehaps you could pickle the wood to have color and still show the grain. I agree about painting the ceiling and switching the blinds for panels. This will definitely change the look of the room.

Example of pickled floors: https://www.houzz.com/photos/1512-dolphin-terrace-beach-style-living-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~235541 This is a pretty application on the trim and mantle:
  • PRO
    Interiors by Nicole
    11 years ago
    The problem with this room is not the wood! It is the lack of furnishings and colour. Take out the wood blinds and make them darker, paint the railing darker. Change the carpet. Paint the ceiling a tan/taupe color to pick a color in the brick. Change to ceiling fan to something more contemporary. You could go midcentury furnishing or more contemporary would be a nice style but I would not put you existing furniture in there. To small and too traditional for the room. I would flank two long couches on either side of the fireplace with a square coffee table. Sometimes you have to decorate with the house's style. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Interiors by Nicole
    11 years ago
    The problem with this room is not the wood! It is the lack of furnishings and colour. Take out the wood blinds and make them darker, paint the railing darker. Change the carpet. Paint the ceiling a tan/taupe color to pick a color in the brick. Change to ceiling fan to something more contemporary. You could go midcentury furnishing or more contemporary would be a nice style but I would not put you existing furniture in there. To small and too traditional for the room. I would flank two long couches on either side of the fireplace with a square coffee table. Sometimes you have to decorate with the house's style. Have fun!
  • msypitcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks so much for all of your suggestions they are very helpful. If we end up purchasing this home I would definitely paint the wood and replace the blinds with white blinds. I was also thinking about painting the beams white or off white and adding some trim similar to the1512 Dolphin Chase pic to capitalize on the beams architectural interest. I was also thinking I would add a mantel and mount the TV on the fireplace above the mantel. I will post after pics in a couple months if all goes well. Cross your fingers for me.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    That would be great! Good luck!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Fingers crossed!
  • msypitcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

There is a lot going on in the room as far as colors and textures. I think painting most of the elements in the room the same color would harmonize the different elements. the brick fireplace is handsome but the brick looks dated. Would suggest painting it also but once done it can't be unpainted. I would consider perhaps leaving the ceiling beams (in some fashion) but would suggest staining them darker to provide some contrast. Good luck!

• suedonim75
    5 years ago

7 year old post

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

You would think Houzz would delete after 7 years, LOL!