tinawainwright

Help! Need selling advice.

tinawainwright
11 years ago
I pushed my husband to put our house on the market. What can I do to help it sell?

Comments (75)

• PRO
    Sheri Pruett
    11 years ago
    It's perfect
  • woofwoof
    11 years ago
    I don't believe this post is real
  • Related Discussions

i need advice for making a cupboard in my lobby.

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello Sherbaaz, I hope you are doing well. Here are a few cupboard layouts that you can use. You can also add glass doors or opaque doors to these layouts as you wish - For a more decorative option, you can do it as follows and also make space for a pretty painting or a mirror. Hope this helps!
    ...See More

Paint advice - help needed

Q

Comments (18)
    Pawan, I am glad to see your home coming out in a great shape - kudos to your designer. Coming to your original question, I don't find it over the top , it is barely visible from the front angle and the great tree is definitely helping you there...Still if you want to minimize the earthen impact of terracotta red see the image you may want to add a few rafters as shown in the pic below ( wooden or metal..) I would recommend you to stick to grey, black and whites as a central theme. The red on the railing can cede ground to white. Climber Vines on the terracotta would add to the tree and your home.. I would recommend you to hide the ugly cabling if you can do something about it :) Thanks Nitin Cornerstone Designs, Bangalore.
    ...See More

Need advice on living room

Q

Comments (4)
    Apologies for the typos. I want to design my living and dining area, and there is a suggestion to place a wooden partition starting the entry gate till half of the room to separate the living area space. I am thinking the partition will make the room look smaller. So need ideas how to design the living area. Thanks
    ...See More

Need professional advice about the kitchen design

Q

Comments (9)
    At first glance, the kitchen looks bland. You need more attractive handles for your cupboards. Also, the colour of the tiles really doesn’t match the brick design and the wood finish. The cupboards themselves could have been placed in a more practical manner. The handles at the bottom of cupboards suggest they are opening from the bottom. That would be uncomfortable for the individual opening it, at that height. The cupboard doors could open right onto the face of the person. The topmost cupboards are too high, making their use extremely limited. A good interior design company could have designed a more aesthetic and practical kitchen for you. You can still consult an experienced home renovation company to make the changes you need.
    ...See More
  • marthagud
    11 years ago
    It's a beautiful living room! You have some deeper blues in the room, but you have them covered up. Have you considered removing the couch on the left and put the 2 blue chairs in its place? Put your smaller colored pillows on the chairs. Drape the blue throw that's on the the chair on the end of the couch instead. Move your flowers to the left side of your mirror if you have a mantel or use the blue glass vase there. It's always fun to switch things up. Good luck!
  • mayr126
    11 years ago
    I think it is beautiful, but you might consider taking out one of the white sofas and putting the two chairs in its place to highlight the fireplace, and make the room look more open.
  • llee
    11 years ago
    Everyone has given you some great ideas! The only other thing I noticed is the living room needs something round. A round mirror above the fireplace, a round table or round pillows. Not all three. Just choose one. There are too many straight lines. Something round would add a little interest.
  • PRO
    Royal Art Company
    11 years ago
    Its a very nice palette of color, remove the white couch put the blue chairs in its place. clean off the island completely. pack up some books, pop one color through out the shelves besides the books. Those rooms are larger than they appear, They are buying square footage. Having said all that... Your home is lovely and should appeal to a large group of buyers. Due to your choices it should sell quickly
  • Victoria C
    11 years ago
    I think the arrangement on the dining room table is too small (is that lemons? please make it a lush floral display) and the one in the kitchen too large. I would also modernize the chandelier in the DR and remove 50% of the items on the shelves especially the books and replace them with attractive serving pieces or collectibles more suited to the DR. The family room also needs editting with the number of books. I also like the suggestion someone else made to make shutters for the tv. I would also add a colorful throw and pillows on the sofa to add some color and and repair the beige sofa on beige rug on beige floor cycle. I would eliminate the blue chairs in the LR but use that color on the couches as accent as well as more peach. I'd also like to see some lighting on the wall on either side next to the mirror.
  • claire01
    11 years ago
    I would switch the basket on the kitchen counter with the bowl of lemons in the dining room. I think the scale is better then. beautiful house. I am sure it will go quickly.
  • Bridget Merry
    11 years ago
    Also, when showing make sure to set the table and kitchen counter with nice place settings. Add appropriate place matts and napkins and even put rice in the bottom of bowls with an apple or orange in the bowl for interest and color.
  • Bridget Merry
    11 years ago
    One other thing I noticed is the stand mixer on the counter in the kitchen. I would probably remove this for the sake of emphasizing space and organization.
  • visionaire1
    11 years ago
    llee is correct to point out that lounge room would benefit from something round. Imagine Thomas Pheasant's Constellation Mirror above the fireplace! But at $6000 I think it should remain on the lottery wish list.
    Sitting Area Lounge space! · More Info
  • PRO
    Anne Hentz Interiors
    11 years ago
    Your house is beautiful! Yes. Have the floors cleaned.
  • tinawainwright
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    These sound like great ideas and there are definitely some themes here!
  • leemerrick
    11 years ago
    under cabinet led lighting. will brighten up the kitchen at minimal cost.
  • Linda Anthony
    11 years ago
    GREAT suggestions here... I like many so I'll just make a couple different suggestions.

More light over DR table - they hang three lights in a row like the size you have - ck out the new industrial lights which are VERY popular. Larger arrangement on DR table, could include a grouping of taller, bigger candle sticks - definitely needs taller/bigger items - put lemons in the kitchen. Also, remove most items in the book cases there as well. Put heavier and larger items on bottom shelves. Get rid of small things and insert fewer BIG things, with a pop of color. Put your candles, which you have under windows on shelves or on DR table. Room looks large enough to pull two of the chairs, from the middle and put one at each end of the room, at an angle in the corners, will soften the 'square' look there now. Need more ROUND items on shelves or table. Will make the room look bigger too.

Remove most books from FR shelves - makes shelves look top heavy and over loaded. Like DR, fewer but bigger objects on shelves with some books. Leave many books belong in FR but not so much in DR, thus try filling DR shelves with a collection or china or pottery. When re-doing shelves, pull EVERYTHING out, and start over, remembering to balance and group.

Looks like there is room to pull FR couch farther away from TV BUT keep front legs on the carpet. Get rid of bench and move one of the two chairs across the room in it's place (if there is room when you move the couch out more) BUT keep front two legs on the carpet. If you have no coffee table, the small black bench will work (once you pull the couch out further). Put a serving tray on it with some interesting decorative objects (books can raise smaller items on other side). Always remember, if you have a tray you must have something on it. Some white on that black bench would pop... Move throw from couch - it's too small and adds nothing - put it on one of your chairs.

Remove over-sized arrangement from kitchen - could put it on the floor somewhere, at an angle, as it is large to soften a corner. A group of white interesting glass on counter on one corner or in front of your sink would really pop - include a large decorative, fancy bowl. Perhaps a small table runner, with rounded ends on that table to add softness. Everything looks stark and hard there.

Trust me, your house in gorgeous and am only being nit-picky because you asked for some 'staging' hints... I agree with another poster, something round would soften all those hard, square angles of furniture and shelves and fireplaces etc. You can have up to three throws in one room - so add some color or there or some round pillows.
  • sharoninalaska
    11 years ago
    Don't change anything! It is perfect just the way it is!!
  • socagal
    11 years ago
    Remove some of the books on shelves in family room & place collectibles with a few books. Clean the floors. I'd add some color in the Great Room, colorful pillows & Drapes. Your home is gorgeous looks like a model home. Appealing to many, I think it will sell quickly. You have great style
  • Kristi Dodson_Skinkis
    11 years ago
    Your house is GORGEOUS! I don't think it is your house that is making the sale slow, the market is just bad. I live near Green Bay, WI in a small but very nice neighborhood. There are three houses that I can literally throw a ball to that are being foreclosed. There are three more on the market. This is the third time one has been for sale. Another one has been for sale for over a year. The houses are very nice. No one is buying.
    If you are staying in the area where your house is, have you considered renovation or additions? My house just had work done, new siding, roof, windows and doors. Nothing really major. The noise got old fast. Taking a couple mini-vacations really helps. We spent a few afternoons at the beach! We were hearing pounding in our sleep. My husband bought a good set of headphones. The end result is very nice. The work should last another 20 years.
  • Anastasia Sin
    11 years ago
    have some coffee brewing, cookies/pastries baking in the oven, soft music in the background during the house tour. create a relaxing ambience, how living in the house would be like might help. try to avoid switching on tv or burning essential oil or candles though. u have a lovely house : ) hope it sells fast.
  • lindapugh
    11 years ago
    Your house is gorgeous, but it's begging for some colour, pattern & texture to add warmth & personality. The draperies, pillows, rugs & art are rather blah & are the easiest way to amp up your style. I agree with other posts that you should de-clutter the shelving units, rearrange some of your furniture & include more natural elements.
  • RaShida
    11 years ago
    Simply GORG! The floors actually look great but maybe they see something the picture is not picking up, other than that THIS SHOULD BE SOLD! I love the decor :)
  • B HH
    11 years ago
    Your house is gorgeous! Its hard to tell from the pictures (dining room bookshelf?), but if you have any personal or family pictures around the house you will want to take those down. Let the buyers envision themselves in the house rather than see pictures of you.
  • PRO
    Beyond The Stage Homes
    11 years ago
    Feel free to stop by my website www.beyondthestagehomes.com for some tips (see "Links & Articles" page).

Based on the photos that you have provided though I think that overall the home will show well, but here are a few tips:

1. In the first photo, I would remove one couch and move the two blue chairs opposite the remaining couch, opening up the room and turning the focus back to the fireplace, the intended focal point.

2. Remove the flowers from the island - perhaps there is a better spot for these, but these are currently blocking the view of the features of the kitchen. I love fruit bowls on islands, and recommend lemons and limes - these have a thick skin so they don't attract fruit flies, last a long time, and green and yellow are perfect colours for any kitchen.

3. In the dining room and family room, the shelves should have about half of what is currently there. I like that the dining room shows a mix of books and accessories - play with heights a bit by laying a few books on their side, and keep some standing, mixed still with the accessories.
  • Jen
    11 years ago
    It's perfect!! I'll take it!!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    I would remove that chest in the living room, then move the sofas closer to the fireplace and have the two chairs face the fireplace, make sure there is enough room to enter the space though. Pull the sofas away from the wall a bit more, they look like they are flattening the drapes. The tall mirror is competing with the windows, I agree to put a round mirror here instead. A starburst would create a wonderful focal point as the room is really only viewed from straight on much like the photo. The coffee table arrangement seems a bit tall, place some interesting books on the table instead.

I agree with lauradeily about making it a little less perfect and more user friendly. Hope all this advice you recieve helps you sell quickly so you can find another home you need advice on!

Susan Mills
  • Nathaniel Ray
    11 years ago
    Hi there,
    You have too much furniture in your living room spaces. In the first picture you should replace the left couch with the two chairs and just store the couch somewhere else. You are covering the fireplace, which should be a featured focal point in the room. Kitchen looks fabulous. Same issue with the last picture, too many chairs, just take one or two out to show that there is more space. I also agree with some other comments about the tall mirror in the first picture. With the long windows and the long mirror it starts to make the room look narrow. Might want to get something that spans that space above the fireplace to make it appear wider.
    Your house is beautiful btw!!! Make sure your landscaping is inviting and that the front entry is clean and up to date, vamp up the curb appeal to create a positive first impression!
    Best of luck, I know the market is tough right now.
  • Nathaniel Ray
    11 years ago
    You also might want to consider taking away the area rugs so that the beautiful wood floors are accentuated. Don't hide such a great asset to your property! Show the buyers what they are purchasing - almost everyone wants wood flooring
  • Maryann Stensrude
    11 years ago
    It's nice and neat, but doesn't looked lived in. Too much white on white. Add a splash of red (or another bold color) here and there. Why are you selling your beautiful home?
  • Maryann Stensrude
    11 years ago
    It's nice and neat, but doesn't looked lived in. Too much white on white. Add a splash of red (or another bold color) here and there. Why are you selling your beautiful home?
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Its a nice house , quite Chic ! I'd suggest a floor cleaning , and the mantle looks Bland have some family pics or Candles over it and something on the coffee table as well.
  • PRO
    AdeleOnTrend at Terrys Fabrics
    11 years ago
    I agree with everyone else, on the whole your house is extremely sale-able as it is, very neutral palette for any new owner to build on. I find the psychology of selling fascinating and my tips would be to add just a few personalized items, (just a few mind) it looks a little bit too much like a show house and although we all know that personal clutter is the wrong look for selling, most people are sub-consciously looking for a home not a house, so it at least needs to look like somebody lives there. I agree about moving the piece of wooden furniture from under the right hand window in the living room, it throws the symmetry of the two beautiful windows either side of the fireplace off balance. I would keep the blinds at these windows as they are the perfect treatment. They take the minimum amount of light from the window and show the architectural details off. I, also, would move the two chairs to either side of the fireplace underneath the windows to show off the surround and re-balance the symmetry. I think a large low piece would look better on the central coffee table as the tall flowers interrupt your line of sight as you look towards that lovely fireplace. Can't see if there are any, but a few well chosen and well placed lamps would be a worthwhile addition - and make sure they are on when you have viewings as this always adds a warm homely glow. Your viewers will go away thinking that the house is both spacious and cozy at the same time - and however modernistic some of your viewers might think they are, we all need a bit of cozy in our lives - it's a basic human comfort and that's what home is supposed to epitomize - the place we are most comfortable. I agree with the comment about emptying some of the book shelves in the dining room. I would set the table for dinner though, with some block colour crockery and place mats (red or lime or orange) and pick up the colour with a few well chosen accent pieces such as candles or votifs to tie in, on some of the empty bookshelves. I would move the large basket of flora and forna in the kitchen. It almost joins the work surface to the overhead lights and draws your eye away from all the other lovely features in the kitchen. Otherwise, good luck, it shouldn't take you long to sell it really, your house is beautiful - maybe we could swap!?
  • PRO
    Golden Interiors
    11 years ago
    Your house has beautiful architectural woodwork and detailing, the floors are elegant. You should not have difficulty selling if the house is priced correctly. Tips would be to add some green plants in colorful planters for some spark of color. The neutral color palette is great but it is a little bland and you want to add color in small ways with items you can take with you when you move. Think colorful accent pillows, potted grass (fake or real) and colorful pottery items, like great candlesticks. Also when you have an open house make sure to boil cinnamon stixs, nutmeg, dried oranges or apples for a wonderful homey scent - or bake an apple pie that morning - it can even be a frozen one.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Tina, I agree with Golden Interiors on the greenery. Staging is an art unto itself, and it's been proven it's best to stay fairly generic, and not overdo with too many personal items. You've got it down pat. Add some bright lime green foliage in every room and let it go at that.
  • Sue Dyroff
    11 years ago
    Since I didn't see anyone else post this, let's talk about other things than the obvious... The inside of your house is more than fine for selling regardless of each poster's suggestion. If you truly have a problem selling THIS home from the pictures posted, I would imagine it's not because of the interior. Most sellers don't even have half this style and care. Make sure you have an agressive price structure (buyers are getting deals now, sellers who don't budge don't sell). Also, the outside of your home has to be as nice as the inside, all maintenance done and polished to perfection. They'll never bother to tour your home if it has zero curb appeal or chases them off. Price will get them in the door. Be ready to show at a moments notice, no exceptions.Think about adding incentives like temite bond, homeowner's warranty and paid HOA dues for "acceptable offer". Listed our GA home mid October last year and accepted an offer early January in a depressed market over the holidays. Unheard of. The house before that sold in 6 days in 11/2006. My selling strategy is "polish it like a diamond, price it like coal". Good luck.
  • PRO
    Cheryl Umbles Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Tina, a lot of good advice here on a really great space you have created, and I may have overlooked earlier input, but your impact wall in this space is the fireplace, and the current placement of the blue chairs blocks the full view of the fireplace for the potential buyer walking into the space for the first time. You may consider moving them to the opposite end of the sofas if your floor covering will allow or temporarily out of the space for staging. If adjust their placement is an option, you will retain your conversation arrangement in the space, another attractive feature showing the use of the space for the potential buyer.
  • Karen Calayag
    11 years ago
    The house looks perfect as it it! I would buy this in a heartbeat if only I can. :-)
  • Jeanette Chaney
    11 years ago
    Lovely home. I would suggest taking brighter photos. Best of luck.
  • janemb
    11 years ago
    Your house is fine the way it is but the photos don't really pop. I just sold my home in 2 days - and it wasn't near as nice as yours and our furniture was not so hot. However, Sotheby's called and wanted to list it - the thing is you can something look so fabulous in photos. So that being my only credentials - you need to make your house pop in photos because that is where agents and buyers get the first impression of your home. How do you do that?

First - TURN ON ALL THE LIGHTS. under counter, sconces, overhead. If you have dimmers (great!) you can dim them some but even if not lighting creates mood. Also lower your blinds a little more and bring in the drapes a little - take different pictures and compare - you'll see.

Second - ADD COLOR - pops of RED and even BLACK will provide the contrast you need to make the whites look more white. Pillows, Flowers, Throws. A few Big splashes of color.

And Yes move the blue chairs ( even to the other side of the couches would be nice). Take out the chest on the side of the fireplace. Add the RED or other bright flowers in a vase on the table and some throws or pillows.

Kitchen - Remove the potted plant and use a big clear vase with big sunflowers or a bursting bouget of assorteds. DO NOT SET the counter with dishes. This is passe and fake and takes away from the large clean surface.

Lastly - relax - even if you don't take any of our suggestions you got a great house. You've already made it beautiful.

Good luck!
  • mapeggy
    11 years ago
    You can tweak things until you drive yourself crazy. Go look at other houses for sale. You will see how wonderful yours is. Nothing sells a house faster than price...make sure your price is realistic for the market and economy. If it is, then your house will sell.
  • PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    11 years ago
    And, for goodness sake, please enlist the expertise of a professional real estate agent to negotiate your contract and see the deal through to a successful closing. Catching a buyer is just the beginning of the real estate transaction. I'm sure you'll make your next home every bit as gorgeous as this one!
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    IN YOUR FAMILY ROOM/KITCHEN, HOW ABOUT SOME BROWN AND WHITE THROW PILLOWS ON THE SOFA TO CONNECT WITH THE FLOOR. THEN FOLLOW JANEMB'S ADVICE.
    Zebra Outdoor Pillows · More Info

Throw Pillow Ikat by Chic Decor Pillows · More Info
  • PRO
    P.S. Interiors, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Your house is stunning. I would not change anything.
  • PRO
    Begonia Lopez
    11 years ago
    The house looks impeccable. There are two things though. The bookshelves are too crowded so that can give the unintended impression that there is no enough storage space in the house, let's say in an open house scenario. And the other, which is more important, is the flooring in the kitchen and TV area. Though it is a gorgeous floor, it is one of a kind, and I think some people may be taken back by it. It looks like it needs a lot of maintenance, even if it doesn't. So, the buyers may be looking at it as something that needs to be changed, therefore an investment. May be you should consider a little drop on the price? The house is stunning maybe you should reconsider the sale :)
  • PRO
    LG HOME HARMONY
    11 years ago
    Hi, I would add a piece of art to the fireplace wall to draw the attention rather than reflect as it's doing. Bring in more of the blue by adding more pillows ... ( it's lack oomph. Switch the carpet for the one in the dinning area.

In the kitchen the fabric is bold ... work with it.! Add a bold arrangement with red ... even a couple of wine glasses and a bottle of wine or 2 coffee mugs and muffins. red cloth napkins? Maybe another piece of art ... try switching things around from another part of your home. ( think I would remove a stool)

Dinning area: switch out the carpet with the one in the living room, pair down the items in the shelving ... leaving the red if it's connected to the kitchen area.

Family room: pair down the items in the shelving by about 1/2. Try turning the sofa on the angle to face the stairs and creating a conversations area with the chairs. It's hard to tell the size of the room and what's to the left but from what I can see it might work

I included a photo of a recent staging I did ... the colour scheme is what I was suggesting as well as something similar in art ... it would really warm that living room space.

Good Luck!
    Liz
    Home Harmony - Montreal
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    On a detailed audit, I Saw that the mirror has faded so If you want to sell the house , that Mirror needs to go as Its a Eyesore .
  • babzie933
    11 years ago
    Beautiful home! I agree with the comments about moving that chest and the two blue chairs in the living room. Perhaps a splash of colored pillows on the white sofas? The kitchen looks lovely too. Is covering the banquet in a beige or grey an option, and then using the orange fabric as pillows on it? Again, this is just picky small things, but bouquets of colorful flowers on the counter, dining table, and coffee table would bring in more color...Otherwise, I love it too! Good luck!
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    11 years ago
    Now, This is would be a problem
  • Suzi Dunn
    11 years ago
    Homes displaying yellow flowers sell faster. Always use fresh flowers & greenery. If you can, bake some cookies or bread to make the house smell really good.
  • Suzi Dunn
    11 years ago
    Homes displaying yellow flowers sell faster. Always use fresh flowers & greenery. If you can, bake some cookies or bread to make the house smell really good.
  • Suzi Dunn
    11 years ago