saraheatondeclerk

Where to hang curtains

saraheatondeclerk
11 years ago
I have no idea where to hang curtains on this wall.. The molding above the window is about 14 inches tall and has a bit of a shelf at the top. I have always hung curtains at ceiling level but am not sure I can do so because of this shelf. Do you hang on the molding?

Comments (28)

• terezas
    11 years ago
    This too is my dilemma for a very large bathroom window that we are installing very similar situation although no shelf on the top. I look forward to seeing what are the possible solutions for you that I might be able to apply here at my home also.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I would still hang curtains at ceiling level (just below crown molding), but I'd have the brackets holding the curtain rod come out just past the upper trim shelf so the curtains can clear it.
  • PRO
    Lemonaide Design & Art Co.
    11 years ago
    I would reccomend hanging your window treatments right below that shelf molding and hang it right on the molding. That molding is beautiful so you want to let it show! Also, I love the light fixture!
  • Margaret
    11 years ago
    Why have curtains at all?
  • PRO
    Davin Interiors
    11 years ago
    I would definitely install the draperies just under the crown molding and make a wide return so they will clear the wood molding. Do you really need the wood blinds for sun/light/glare or for privacy? If not, can you live without them and just have the side panels? Or if you need blinds, how about 1 wide roman shade - maybe a textured material - it can be partially raised to allow light and lowered when necessary. One wide blind instead of 3 separate would be nice without the seams/edge gaps between the 3 individual blinds. I would like to see draperies in this room - it looks like it would nicely soften and finish the space.
  • lefty47
    11 years ago
    HI -- I would hang the rod up to the bottom of the crown moulding and wider than the window.Get extended depth brakets or apply a block of wood (paint the color of the wall) for the brakets to mount on to bring the drapes out far enough to clear the moulding.Just have the drape hem 1/2 inch above the floor.
  • Linda
    11 years ago
    I have seen this type of window w crown before and a large rosette was hung a bit towards the outside edge on both sides- but still above that shelf... Which meant the drape hung just to cover the outside trim and a bit over the blinds. Those curtains were stationary since you already can block light with your blinds. I wouldn't mess with attempting to hang a rod... 2 much trouble for clearance and not needed functionally.
  • julie hodge
    11 years ago
    love your light fixture who makes it?
  • speckledmom
    11 years ago
    I would replace the blinds with plantation shutters and forgo curtains.
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    Another solution, which takes your imagination to see if it would work, is to hang the curtains from the ceiling. I mean, attach brackets (actually, it's a short rod with a ring through which the curtain rod slides on either side) to the ceiling, have the curtains hang, literally, from ceiling to floor. THen you could do Roman shades, shutters (my recommendation) or some other treatment set inside the wi ndow frames. Layered window treatments are interesting.
  • inkwitch
    11 years ago
    Another solution, which takes your imagination to see if it would work, is to hang the curtains from the ceiling. I mean, attach brackets (actually, it's a short rod with a ring through which the curtain rod slides on either side) to the ceiling, have the curtains hang, literally, from ceiling to floor. THen you could do Roman shades, shutters (my recommendation) or some other treatment set inside the wi ndow frames. Layered window treatments are interesting.
  • myosotis
    11 years ago
    I agree with Mrs Cobbler and Margaret, either install wood shutters, or leave the window as is, no curtains.
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    I agree, Plantation Shutters would look super!
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    I agree, Plantation Shutters would look super!
  • pcake
    11 years ago
    It sounds like you are looking for a softer look than blinds or even shutters, which are basically stationary blinds. If the drapes are heavier, consider hanging them from the ceiling since the molding is so close to the ceiling. There are some nice, ceiling tracks available that can be used so you wouldn't see any rod at all. Heavy drapes will compete with the wide molding and the rods needed to accompany a heavier drape if they are attached directly to the molding. If the drapes are lighter weight, I would probably go with the rod on the molding but near the top of it.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    My suggestion is to preserve any and all architectural feature you home offers. I would suggest you do roman shades with an inside mount on the window, just below the molding.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I vote for no curtains. The window is lovely as it is. Shutters are a problem because to open them they have to swing away from the window. A better solution is blinds with wider slats.
  • Ayse A.
    11 years ago
    No curtains, go for plantation shutters.
  • msdidl
    11 years ago
    Shutters DEFINITELY :)
  • PRO
    Valerie J Johnson Custom Tailored Home Furnishings
    11 years ago
    I generally would place the rod near the crown moulding as well but in this application it makes more sense to place it right under the crown on the window moulding. Consider running the rod all the way to side walls using end brackets (sometimes called sockets). That way you can place a standard rod bracket centered on the window trim and place the end brackets to match that projection. The hardware would be lovely in the same antique brass finish as the light fixture. With this application much of the panel would stack off of the window and fill the small space into the corners. I also agree with Davin Interiors that 1 natural roman shade would add texture, sophistication and filter light into your Dining Room. A material/fiber close to the drapery fabric tones would make a cohesive statement. Best wishes!!
  • Sauve
    11 years ago
    In the past, I had this problem also. At the time, I decided that the mini-blinds were the problem. Unfortunately, removing the mini-blinds presented another problem. You see, the window faced the very public entrance to our subdivision just off a very busy road.

I removed the mini-blinds and replaced them with a roman blind that covered only the windows in one piece. Just above the molding I built a wooden upholstered valance that appeared to be part of the wall. The valance ended where the classical window molding began because I wanted that to show. Then I extended the valance out on both sides by 12 inches. In that twelve inches I hung matching a fabric that appeared to be pleated draped drawn to the side. They were not. They were acutally a yardage of fabric and on one end I cut and hemmed with glue so that they would touch the floor. The other end was stapled to the interior of the valance. I didn't finish the edged but simply turned them with a steam iron and glued them with elmer's glue. This gave the appearance that the drapes were full drapes meant to cover the window. I was able to use a quite beautiful fabric, that was beyond my means, because it was such a little amount compaired with the quanitity I would have needed to make the drapes. I spent that money having the roman blind made.

Were I doing that again, I would visit hunter douglas blinds and buy some Silhouettes. Actually, that is what I am going to do for the house we will move into this coming Friday. The only difference is that the upholstered valances will be painted with beach scenes and the side drapes will be made with an open weave raw silk.
  • nanainatl
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't cover up that beautiful molding. If you must, do a treatment inside the window opening as others have suggested. Add texture and color to the room and curtains would not be necessary. There are some beautiful wallpapers available now. You could do a chair rail and do top or bottom with paper. Recover the seat cushions in something lighter and graphic. You can use as many patterns as you like as long as you stay in the same color range.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    THIS CONVO SHOULD BE A POLL. I VOTE FOR PLANTATION SHUTTERS. WINDOW IS GORGEOUS!
  • marewalker7
    10 years ago
    My windows are not framed. Tried to hang rolling shades outside of window to block light but need some kind of spacer behind mounting brackets. This puts the shade to close to the wall and they don't work well. Any suggestions.
  • mccutcheon1
    10 years ago
    I'm with pcake. Hang long ceiling rods, cover everything even if you change what's underneath--and why not?
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    10 years ago
    I agree I think in this case Shutters is your best option They can build you a frame so it fits perfectly for your window.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto.html
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Here are some ideas... Just different approaches. You could combine pix 4 and 5.
    Bonnie Briar · More Info

Serene Bedroom · More Info

Dinner Party · More Info

Green Nursery · More Info

Divine Kitchens LLC · More Info

Dining Area · More Info