dulcirao

What do I do on sides of fireplace?

Dulci Rao
9 years ago
I will have a horizontal wood cabinet to put on left side of fireplace with 60" TV. On right side will have stereo cabinet but I am afraid it will get lost on that wall. Ceilings are 18' tall. Ideas..???

Comments (36)

• Bill Higgins
    9 years ago
    i would put TV over FP and then cabs on either side.
  • marylynn27
    9 years ago
    What is the look you are going for..modern/traditional???
  • ellie59
    9 years ago
    I would put TV over FP and staggered shelves on either side. Installing cabinets would close it in unless this is a very large room.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    9 years ago
    NO to the TV!! travertine, stainless tile or other surround... shelves with objects of interest or art....
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    My husband and I do not like Tv over fireplace... We like having traditional fireplace and this one will be focal point of room. The house is French Country style.. Room is 22' square with open concept
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas. I really do not want to put shelves in as I have a lot of original artwork that I was going to put on walls. There are ceiling lights at top of each arch. I was thinking of putting an Armoir on right side and then our pretty wood media cabinet with Tv on left. If I put a horizontal cabinet on left shouldn't the piece of furniture on right be more horizontal ...? Just some ideas of my own but won't know how this will look until moved in...
  • Nancy Parmer
    9 years ago
    TV above FP and built-in's on either side.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Go with your original idea of the cabinet and TV on the left, then put a MATCHING cabinet on the right for your stereo equipment. You can put art above it, or shelves with objet d'art to balance the TV, and a painting over the mantel.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    The height of the ceiling has no bearing here. Just balance the two sides of the fireplace.
  • Kerwin Lovell
    9 years ago
    I don’t know how much you care about the TV but what most people don't realize is that the TV over the fireplace is not an optimum viewing angle for the TV (Even if you angle it down). Also if it’s a plasma you’re going to want to keep it away from a heat source (admittedly, not sure if this is still needed with modern plasma's). To spend big money for a 60” TV and position it in a non-optimum configuration doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me (no offense). I say stick with your original plan. Even though based on your picture it may not be optimal either. Depending on where the seating goes it looks closer to optimal than over the fireplace.

WARNING: My views are purely geeky with no regards to the aesthetics to the room. I’m a geek….
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I totally agree with you about not putting TV over fireplace.... I know it's popular right now but I like decorating my mantle for Christmas in a traditional way. Also TV on wall you have to look up at it. Reminds me of hospitals... Haha... Not geeky at all ...!
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    I would tend to agree with grover… why not use a matching cabinet on the right side also. Seems to me that is the perfect solution.
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I do not have a matching cabinet. The one I have they do not make anymore and I really like it. Here is a picture of it with TV on it. The other wall opposite the fireplace is the stereo cabinet which I would like to put on the other wall to right of fireplace but I am worried it's too small. Unless there is room for two items on that wall with stereo cabinet. This pic is from our old house. Moved and new one is being built....
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    It looks like the stereo cabinet is taller and narrower than the media cabinet. When you get in the new house, put them in their respective places and upload a photo. I suspect the two sides might be easier to balance than you think because the two cabinets appear to have similar visual weights.
  • PRO
    Cooper Chase Construction Design Division
    9 years ago
    You have a very symmetrical room; fireplace in middle with beam above, two identical arched niches on either side of the fireplace. You need to continue on with the symmetry. I know you like the pieces you currently have, but they are both too small for the new space you have created. Your best option would be to build in two identical cabinets with doors below, they can be solid or glass. The cabinets should be standard base cabinet height, which is 36". This will allow you to place your tv on top of one cabinet and your stereo equipment on top of another. Finish what you started...keep with the symmetry!
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the input... Will see how it works out!
  • Natalie
    9 years ago
    Hi---I agree with others, keep the symmetry. I think the niches would look fabulous wallpapered with the addition of floating shelves or sconces. Keep us posted and Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Contemporary Living Room · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Master Suite Glam · More Info
    ]
  • delyanks
    9 years ago
    It sounds like you had your mind made up already. But since you asked for opinions, I'd ditch the furniture and re-use them in another room. I'd go with grover's idea.
  • Kerwin Lovell
    9 years ago
    Grover's hitting the nail on the head with this one. Based on your picture, if it were me i'd build two custom built-ins in each arch. 2 floating cabinets the length of each arch may look awesome. I'm a sucker for floating shelves, or anything floating for that matter. Convert the cabinet you have into a vanity or something.
  • PRO
    Cadence Custom Cabinetry, Inc.
    9 years ago
    Grover's advice makes sense and with the added custom cabinetry the space will look beautiful.
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    Agree with Grovers advice. Put a visually strong piece of art work on the right of the fireplace to balance the big black TV screen. Very pretty focal point in this room, and wouldn't treat it with too much stuff.
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I like possibly the floating shelve idea or using what I have and putting in a visually strong piece if art. I will wait till we move in and see how the pieces fit before I do anything. Also was wondering if I could use a nice plant like a fig tree or other with the smaller narrower cabinet to right of cabinet. I see these fig trees used a lot in magazines...
  • fos5
    9 years ago
    Yes, plants and trees are used as fillers, add textures, height and radial balance to a room. Don't think it will do what you want in this space, but give it a try. This space is so pretty would limit the amount of accessory items . Our eye can only handle so much.
  • marylynn27
    9 years ago
    I agree with most that you should keep the symmetry. It looks like a beautiful piece of furniture that you may find another place for? I agree a TV over a fireplace can be awkward to view unless you use a tilt wall mount that would make a huge difference. It would still allow for decorating for the holidays. Consider painting an accent color inside the niches on each side of the fireplace and I would consider tiling all the way up from floor to ceiling on the fireplace section. Great space - so much potential - huge sculptures on each side would look amazing - or a sculpture and a fig tree that you like on the other would add warmth.
  • marylynn27
    9 years ago
    Also - with the traditional style you are going for...have you thought of crown molding around each niche?
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It seems like a lot of y'all day keep the symmetry but I like to "color outside the lines". I do not like everything looking too convoluted..for lack of a better word. I imagine you know what you are talking about... Guess you all are pros in interior design....so I am giving it a lot of thought.
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    I think fos5 is correct about the plants. Putting a plant in there is going to look like you put a plant there because you could not think of anything else… so its there to fill the space. Many years ago I was in the business of installing and supplying interior tropicals. The most successful installations offer a sense of balance to a room. I would say save the plant idea for a different space in your home,
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also I might say I like traditional, not modern but I also like a little rustic. The plan for the fireplace is rock up to ceiling. There will be rock hearth as well. Just not finished.. Also crown molding throughout. Beam on ceiling...
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    I'm sure your two gorgeous pieces will work out nicely on either sides of your fireplace. You can always use them anywhere in your home as well. Remember to keep your accessories simple and on a large scale when you have such a huge room with vaulted ceilings, it will give it a more dramatic and clean feel.
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am looking at this cabinet and thinking it would fit on the wall to left of fireplace... Then use the other cabinet with the shutters for stereo on right. Thanks for your input. If it doesn't work out I could use as a buffet in dining room..
  • sallienewman
    9 years ago
    i hate a tv in living room period. you surely have a wonderful famille room. if so that is the t.v. room. did i read this room is 22 X 22. if not i would put the t.v. in a custom made cabinet that has doors that you can close. do people not get together to converse and not have the t.v. on. i was raised without a t.v. in living room. i am 76, omg, and have never had a t.v.. in my living room. old fashioned yes. i love the high high ceilings. a decorators dream. look at web sites and tons of magazines for ideas. make the mock up on paper from ideas or if you can draw them. i don't usually like same/same in a room. but would love the same layout on right and the left of fireplace. an maybe t.v. on left and cabinet on right for liquor and shelves. if room is 22 feet square you have to break it into areas which is a whole other project. lot of luck and enjoy yourself. sallie
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I just came across this photo of a hand painted cabinet, thought of your TV piece. Would be nice if you could have your TV hidden inside a large cabinet like this and enjoy the artwork you like as well. Maybe use your current TV cabinet for your stereo storage. The two pieces would coordinate nicely. Also, you could use your current stereo cabinet in your entry...
  • Dulci Rao
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Cyndie but not really my style... But appreciate the thought !
  • PRO
    ACT ONE DESIGNS
    9 years ago
    No problem :)
  • PRO
    Cheryl Khan
    9 years ago
    I like cyndiemarie's idea but I'm not a fan of placing the TV on one side of the room or the other. It creates an imbalance. Like some of the other suggests, I would place the main focus on creating balance on both sides. Some nice wall shelving or even a dresser would look nice and decorate it with pictures, novelty and other decor items to make yourself feel at home. I'd keep it a social environment without a TV but I understand that many people like to place a TV in the living room. There just has to be one area of the house where you can unplug and have a good old conversation with a friend.