natasha_linley

Ceiling colors...

Natasha Linley
12 years ago
Anyone have any ideas on what to do with this ceiling???
Master Bedroom · More Info

Comments (19)

• nnbp
    12 years ago
    Faux pressed tin panels would be beautiful in the recessed area and really set it apart. We just recently put them in our remodeled kitchen and I am very happy with the results. They come in different colors as well as paintable white and off-white. The kind we used are actually made of plastic but they look like pressed tin once they are installed. Talissa decor and ceilume are two of the companies offering these products online. They also have good photo galleries to get ideas from.
  • pattykpie
    12 years ago
    I'd paint the inside tray a lighter shade of yellow and put a white medallion around the fan base to give it more architectural detail. Maybe update the fan to a more tropical style. Lowe's sells one with a fan on both ends - rich look to it. The yellow with dark wood always looks old world tropical to me!
  • Lisa Ward
    12 years ago
    the fan needs updating. what is the square near the ceiling over the bed. the night stand looks too small. I would get a fan the color of the door
  • Lisa Ward
    12 years ago
    I just realized it's the air vent I would paint it the same color as the wall so it blends in
  • PRO
    Judy Wiegert, Accredited Home Stager & Redesigner
    12 years ago
    I would paint the walls a warmer softer color that blended well with the carpet. Then paint the ceiling one or two shades lighter of the same color. I agree the vent above the bed needs painted to match and the ceiling fan needs updated. I would select a nice light fixture if the fan isn't something you use very often, as fans are kind of dated. Pull the nightstand closer to the bed so it's more useable and cozy looking. I would place matching or complimenting lights on each side, larger then the one shown, to scale. A properly sized piece of art or mirror over the bed would finish the room. Good luck....your bedroom should be a retreat. Intimate and spa like...... When doing a masterbedroom I like to be sure all the senses are pleased.....sight, sound, touch,
  • prtpamela
    12 years ago
    If you painted the room yourself and still have the paint swatch card, use one of the lighter colors (same color family) on that card on the ceiling. And yes, you should paint the vent cover. I've attached a link for a nice updated ceiling fan that won't command all of the attention in the room. I would also suggest a nice large piece of art or wall sculpture over the bed (somewhere for your eye to rest as you enter room). Above all, have fun! http://www.hunterfan.com/Products/Ceiling-Fans/The-Kensington%C2%AE-20178/
    http://www.touchofclass.com/product.aspx?p=P282-001&code=WMZ03
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    12 years ago
    Sorry to say this, but red and yellow/gold is one of my least favorite color combinations. I'm having a hard time with the bedding and the wall color. If your going to paint some more, consider toning down the walls to a more mellow tan color, like Lenox Tan HC-44. Paint the soffit detail the same color as the wall and then change color or wallpaper the center of the ceiling.
    Hermogeno Designs · More Info

or
    fun stencils on the center of the ceiling, like this...
    http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/flower-stencil-4.html?category_id=1017
    Hope this helps and good luck with your project. Charmean Neithart
  • jillarsen
    12 years ago
    I agree with Charmean. Red/yellow has got to go. McDonalds?! Update the fan. Tone down the yellow and do a lighter shade on the ceiling. Lots of potential...best of luck:)
  • PRO
    Visionary Concepts
    12 years ago
    Install molding on the edge of the cove. Install strip lighting inside the molding. It will give the ceiling a glow and make the room seem taller. Also, I would update the ceiling fan or replace it with a new light fixture. The nightstand seems small and isn't the right scale for the bed. You could use a small dresser instead and also add a table lamp.
  • artzi
    12 years ago
    I would rip out that carpet &replace with wood, wood patterned laminate or vinyl matching door & woodwork. Replace fan with a chandelier, unless fan is really needed, like here in the south. If the colors are a combination you love, I would do deeper gold from the bottom of wall gradually blending from darkest to the base color to about one third from ceiling. Next I would get taller lamps. I would not hang that duvet over the end of my sleigh bed. I'd get some patterned throw pillows . A large art piece over the bed would bring the eye up. as for the ceiling, Paint the tray a dark tone from the wood, then the ceiling itself use the embossed tin tiles in a metallic antique gold or bronze. I would also do rich paisley print drapes in golds & reds. However, without a clue for what style you are going for, this is only my vision for this room.
  • PRO
    Kim Brown Interiors
    12 years ago
    I have to agree with all the comments about the red and yellow. No one looks good in a bright yellow room and you look look pretty in your bedroom. I do think that you need something to contrast the carpet, or you will end up with a blah, vanilla bedroom. Sherwin Williams has a couple of colors that may work, rain or quietude. Both are calming but with enough color saturation. I agree that the nightstand needs to be bigger and really like the idea of installing the rope lighting inside an edge cove molding. I don't think that I'd paint the ceiling or soffit, the lighting will be dramatic enough. Oh and please replace that fan! There's a great fan from hampton bay that I'd recommend but install without the light kit! http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202191192/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=hampton+bay+fan&storeId=10051
    overhead light is the worst!

I'd place a decorative mirror (preferably round) over the bed or a piece of art.
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Just to be different -- have an artist come in and give you an idea and price on painting a night or morning or sunset sky or moom and stars on the ceiling and I would soften the room color. How about a fresher color - like a blueish white ( that would go with the carpet )- and some new white bedding to use in the summer and warmer looking bedding for the winter. Allways paint out any vents etc with the wall paint . I think bedrooms should always be soft and dreamy and clean and fresh looking . If you don't need the ceiling fan then change to a more romantic fixture but if you need the fan get a ceiling hugger style . I also believe, bedrooms should allways have carpeting.
  • Natasha Linley
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments!!!

We literally just moved in so thats why the night stand is far from the bed. We were just putting things in the rooms so we could try to get some sleep! Haha.

Yes, we use the fan and we already wanted to update that, so that's on the list. The paint color is called Autumn Moon and it actually was the wrong color. My husband was exhausted and got two gallons of it. We were half way done when we realized it wasn't actually the paint color we picked out. But since we have five other rooms to paint then we are trying it out...

What I'm having some pretty major issues with is if you look closely, the tilted part going into the ceiling is actually painted a light blue. Every room in this house is either pink or blue which is why we're having to paint so much. Hell, even the outside of the house is this ugly pink color, which is why we think we got such a great deal on it.

I understand the gold/maroon/black isn't for everyone, but we do like it. I was thinking of doing the tilted part a tan-ish color, but I'm not sure....
  • Natasha Linley
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    This is the other side of the master bedroom.
  • Natasha Linley
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I found this color... its to dark for the ceiling, but I do like it... any thoughts?
  • mimis55
    12 years ago
    The big question is the height of your ceiling. If your ceiling is low I would go with ceiling white and keep it all white. If you have a fairly high ceiling then be sure to have the center section the lightest color, maybe add a drop of that yellow to a can of white and paint the sloping part which is now light blue a very pale yellow.
  • Joan Bartos
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Nice that you included the second picture. And great that you have some cross ventilation and (potential) light from both side of the room. The problem is that you've got too much going on here in too small of a space and none of it seems to relate. Start with what feel you're trying to create here. A spice market in Marrakesh? An exotic alcove in a Bombay hotel? Be freer with imagery than your conscious mind usually lets you be. Next,choose an accent fabric (or fabrics) that brings together all the colors you want to use. Buy enough of the fabric(s) to make nice,flowing curtains for your window and a neat one for the French door glass,and perhaps a beautiful pillow or two for the bed. This is important because you need to balance the room with coordinating colors but you also need to create some continuity with all of the room colors in this fabric. (I see exotic paisleys or a twenties Deco geometric print,depending on the feel you want). Get rid of that hideous dark window curtain (it looks like a big hole in the wall). If you are trying to block the street view or too much light, get a nice, textured pull-down window shade to use for that purpose. Then replace the rod with a modern,metal one, pewter perhaps. (Or paint the wooden rod to match the color of your bed.) The curtain rod should be moved up so that it is hung from the highest point above the window. This draws the eye upward and creates visual elegance. Again, even if you use a window shade, you need a curtain to soften the window and balance the room visually.
    The color you chose to paint the mid-ceiling is nice. I would choose a very light aqua to finish the highest part of the ceiling. The fan probably has to go. As suggested by others, paint the wall vent the same color as the wall and place a mosquito netting canopy on the wall, above the bed headboard. This will not only allow air to flow through the canopy covered vent, but it will also it distract from the visual problem of the vent. And it will add softness and romance to the headboard. (Drape the canopy it so that it extends outward from the headboard to the bedside tables a bit and it will hide extension cords.)
    A low, modern bench along the empty wall (the one with the the French door) would be perfect. Add a beautiful,healthy plant in a gorgeous ceramic pot or a sinuous white orchid to a small but shapely (different) bedside table.
    Finally,paint all of your doors and wood trim one color. (I suggest white). If you insist on keeping the ugly fan,it's possible you could even spray paint it a glossy white. Find two sassy,matching architectural statement lamps to go on either side of the bed. (I see inexpensive but stylish lamps from a particular Danish modern store if you need to watch the budget.) Make sure the lamps are linear, modern and extend up and over the headboard to give the room some umph. Add some subtle scent with fragrant roses planted outside the French door. Viola! Enjoy!
  • artzi
    12 years ago
    I like the brown! I would Continue it up to the edge of the ceiling, then either a warm white , a white with the slightest tint of warm ( green under tone ) aqua , tho I would do the embossed tin tiles I mentioned earlier.. With the beautiful rich colors I would keep the trim as it is in this room &either paint the inside of French door brown or an accent color from whatever fabric print of the drapes & accent pillows you choose. Oh, I would get blackout liners on the drapes.